Are Food prices going up?

More Update: My wife had Nasi Lemah for HK$82 with free drink and dessert in Hong Kong this afternoon.

My Hainanese chicken rice cost the same.

So they served you with white or red whine? .....:p

HKG food price is expensive, normal meal will easily cost you S$6-8 and a drink is $2-3. if you eat foreign food you are paying at a premium too. The price you paid include drink n dessert so it's about there.

Last edited:
Yes food prices have gone up. And from what I know from most stalls I frequent, it is mostly due to (1) rental (2) operating costs. Some stalls have successfully maintain the same price and same portion. Targets are met by mostly loyal consumers in the neighborhood. Some cut down potions & eventually move elsewhere when they can't keep up with (1) & (2). The same goes for the most popular stall.

Inflation have already cos our living expense to be high for the past year .. i dun give a damn if its now the lowest inflation. The damage is already there.

Just like a food stall owner increasing the food price from $3 to $5, then he proudly declare giving you a $0.5 "discount " .... and u better be grateful to him.

Some cut down potions & eventually move elsewhere when they can't keep up with (1) & (2).
That must be the reason why some people travel across the island for their food :bsmilie:

not a problem if living in Ivory Tower. till today I'm still trying to locate this wonderful place.

I hear this rarefied environment is home to many policymakers and most curiously, ostriches.

Don't you know where this wonderful place is?
Everyone knows.

It's at Tampines Blk 475 coffee shop, where the nasi padang is only SGD$2.50
:bsmilie:

That must be the reason why some people travel across the island for their food :bsmilie:

Some stalls have their loyal customers who are willing to travel to their new location :)

Some even go across the causeway in seek of affordable food. :)

With the new toll fees and increased crimes, definitely not worth it

Some time back, I already posted about the egg price increase by 40% (those single egg by food store.) So, now you then see other start increasing, it's no surprise. But in the future, when you buy any things, look out for expiry (if possible) cause if price not right, customer not buying, the stuffs will be there for a long long time!

Some time back, I already posted about the egg price increase by 40% (those single egg by food store.) So, now you then see other start increasing, it's no surprise. But in the future, when you buy any things, look out for expiry (if possible) cause if price not right, customer not buying, the stuffs will be there for a long long time!

That's right. The fresh eggs will become salty eggs when we buy them. :)

The problem in my country is that food prices keep rising and wages remain flat or maybe even they are going lower. Income disparity here is becoming crazy once again. I'm afraid they will squeeze us so hard something bad will happen. However gas is back down to 2.75 US$ per gallon! It is election time... ;)

They also tell us there has been no inflation forever now...like we are stupid or something.

Last edited:
We are bombarded by the mainstream media that inflation is relatively low on the monthly basis.

However, in reality, it is really that low?

Recently, I went to a hawker centre which I had patronized 1-2 months ago ; thinking of ordering some satays which I know that it was selling at $0.50 per piece as I had ate it 1-2 months ago. When I walked to the stall, I was taken aback when I looked at the prices. It is now $0.60 per piece.

If you take the big ticket item like property. It went down so much the big boys are crying. So it is low to some ... Haha

We are bombarded by the mainstream media that inflation is relatively low on the monthly basis.

However, in reality, it is really that low?

Recently, I went to a hawker centre which I had patronized 1-2 months ago ; thinking of ordering some satays which I know that it was selling at $0.50 per piece as I had ate it 1-2 months ago. When I walked to the stall, I was taken aback when I looked at the prices. It is now $0.60 per piece.

Inflation numbers are useless, because of the way they are calculated. Unless you buy the exact same stuff in the "basket" with the exact same proportions, the inflation you experience will be different from the number.