Apple's New App — Aperture

Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnylatte

Sep 18, 2004
http://apple.com/aperture

"Featuring a RAW-focused workflow, Aperture makes RAW as easy as JPEG, letting you import, edit, catalog, organize, retouch, publish, and archive your images more effectively and efficiently than ever before. From capture to output, you work directly with your RAW files, never having to first convert them into another format before viewing, adjusting, organizing, or printing them."

=)

very expensive. will have to see direct image comparisons with phase one's capture one pro software first before committing to buy.

slacker123 said:
very expensive. will have to see direct image comparisons with phase one's capture one pro software first before committing to buy.

No comparison... Aperture wins hands down in term of speed and etc.

P.S. Do note the pretty high req specs though. This app is CoreImage based, most of the processing are done on the GPU.

Whee... good reason/excuse for me to get a 20" iMac G5 now... :lovegrin: My PB cannot meet the requirements :(

espn said:
Whee... good reason/excuse for me to get a 20" iMac G5 now... :lovegrin: My PB cannot meet the requirements :(

not sure if can use....

based on the minimum specs requirement, aperture needs at least an X800 XT, whereas the imac only got an X600 XT.
:(

sigh sigh

Very impressive! But best only on dual processing G5 with high RAM and all that. I can imagine the beauty of the digital workflow with all this RAW power!!:bigeyes:

anticode said:
based on the minimum specs requirement, aperture needs at least an X800 XT, whereas the imac only got an X600 XT.

oops, ya're right.

Minimum system requirements
  • Power Mac G5 with 1.8GHz or faster PowerPC G5; 17- or 20-inch iMac G5 with 1.8GHz or faster PowerPC G5; or 15- or 17-inch PowerBook G4 with 1.25GHz or faster PowerPC G4 processor
  • 1GB of RAM
  • One of the following graphics cards: ATI Radeon X800 XT Mac Edition; ATI Radeon X850 XT; ATI Radeon 9800 XT or 9800 Pro; ATI Radeon 9700 Pro; ATI Radeon 9600 XT, 9600 Pro, or 9650; ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 or 9600; NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL or 6800 GT DDL; NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT; NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500
  • 5GB of disk space for application, templates and tutorial
  • DVD drive for installation

Recommended system
  • Dual 2GHz Power Mac G5 or faster
  • 2GB of RAM
  • One of the following graphics cards: ATI Radeon X800 XT Mac Edition; ATI Radeon 9800 XT or 9800 Pro; NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL or 6800 GT DDL; NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT; NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500
  • 5GB of disk space for application, templates, and tutorial

Anyway, anyone know a good deal for X800 XT Mac card?

snowspeeder said:
Very impressive! But best only on dual processing G5 with high RAM and all that. I can imagine the beauty of the digital workflow with all this RAW power!!:bigeyes:

Have you actually used the software, or is it just the marketing hype that is impressive?

From the description on Apple's website, it seems to be functionally similar to an enhanced version of Google's Picasa (which handles several raw image formats, too, does nondestructive processing, etc.).

The claims that that the program would work on raw data without converting it to something else are almost certainly marketing BS. No doubt Apple also will have to demosaic/interpolate the raw pictures before applying other processing operations to it (anything else would be impractical). This is something that photoshop and free software like the Gimp have been able to do for a long time.

Not to say that this isn't a useful product, but I don't see why people are full of praise when they have hardly any experience (or none at all) with the product. There's currently a thread in the Kopitiam forum whether Singaporeans are gullible ... this is a good opportunity to find out :).

if you think this is a soup-version of iPhoto (or its clone like Picassa) you are very wrong.

All the info and demo is there for you to see... go see it http://www.apple.com/aperture

This thing is fast and a god send... it basically a CoreImage app (so get the best GPU you can afford)

This app also has a SQL database.

P.S. Here's a freeware that uses CoreImage: http://www.belightsoft.com/products/imagetricks/overview.php

espn said:

I'm also eyeing on the new 20" iMac. My trusty eMac turning 3 years next year.

oeyvind said:
No comparison... Aperture wins hands down in term of speed and etc.

P.S. Do note the pretty high req specs though. This app is CoreImage based, most of the processing are done on the GPU.

I think it's a whole load of bull...
given the high min specs... I'm almost sure the phase one's capture one pro can perform faster..

Softwares always suck at min spec.. give them a bit more and most of them will blaze...
LOL... thus... :thumbsd:

dammit i hate apple. the software doesnt support fuji raws..

jus buy buy buy the new power mac... i m drooling le.......

the get aperture... be sure to up ur ram and max out first, then get two 30 inch screens put them side by side, with a few jbl or jamo speakers from the adelphi.. and wall to wall carpeting, nice music....

u can do ur work in heaven.... that is if ur bank acc has about 6 zeros in it somehow... haha

oeyvind said:
oops, ya're right.

Minimum system requirements
  • Power Mac G5 with 1.8GHz or faster PowerPC G5; 17- or 20-inch iMac G5 with 1.8GHz or faster PowerPC G5; or 15- or 17-inch PowerBook G4 with 1.25GHz or faster PowerPC G4 processor
  • 1GB of RAM
  • One of the following graphics cards: ATI Radeon X800 XT Mac Edition; ATI Radeon X850 XT; ATI Radeon 9800 XT or 9800 Pro; ATI Radeon 9700 Pro; ATI Radeon 9600 XT, 9600 Pro, or 9650; ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 or 9600; NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL or 6800 GT DDL; NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT; NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500
  • 5GB of disk space for application, templates and tutorial

Recommended system
  • Dual 2GHz Power Mac G5 or faster
  • 2GB of RAM
  • One of the following graphics cards: ATI Radeon X800 XT Mac Edition; ATI Radeon 9800 XT or 9800 Pro; NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL or 6800 GT DDL; NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT; NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500
  • 5GB of disk space for application, templates, and tutorial

Anyway, anyone know a good deal for X800 XT Mac card?

i can use !!!.. but no cash to buy the app...

Just watched the Quicktime clip on Aperture. Must say it looks pretty cool :)

Pretty damn fantastic application. Running it on a pbook 15" 1.67ghz with 1.25 gigs ram and i can pretty much say that it's damn smooth, even more so than c1 pro 3.7.2.

I love the interface, it's super intuitive and really easy to work around with, very similiar to c1 pro though.

if anyone wants screens, let me know.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.