Anyone to give advise for share trading?

TerenceANGSG

Nov 21, 2023
Looking to do some shares trading, What markets should I focus on as a beginner trader, and which apps provide access to those markets?

Looking to do some shares trading, What markets should I focus on as a beginner trader, and which apps provide access to those markets?

I'm not an investor but just an ordinary man living life. This is not a critique but a sharing of sorts. If you spend some time in reflection the truth is there is no easy way to make easy money or even fast money although there are people who tell you that you can. Who should you listen to ? Everybody wish they had a mentor or advisor but ultimately you are your own advisor. Does luck or timing play a part ? At the end it is all about yourself. How well do you know yourself and your mindset determine where you will end up. So like Sun Tse the art war..."know yourself and know your enemy. In a hundred battles you will be victorious."

They say a fool and his money will soon part. Well ultimately it is yourself. Do your own research and be your own captain.

Should you listen to Robert Kiyosaki. Network marketing?

Or her.. all make sense but you have to make the effort.

Are you a working John. Remember Robert kiyosaki's the quadrant, which quadrant should you be. How can you reach financial freedom. Most people die broke and young. Why do people buy a big TV, play station or camera gear. 😄 Are you a salaried man or woman... aka ta kong chai like Sam hui. 😂

Or learn the art of the deal like this young lady.

Interesting to see a 'shares trading' question in this forum, even though it's kopitiam section.

Unfortunately like any 'skill', it is very hard to answer that, if it was easy everyone would be rich (but when everyone's 'rich' then the definition of rich will shift hmm...). And every market / app for trading has it's pros and cons, otherwise if it was all cons then they would not exist for long.

My suggestion is to read around, decide an amount of money you don't mind losing, then try it out for a period of time. With the lessons learnt you can see what is the risk tolerance you can take, what features of the trading platform or market works for you and adjust accordingly.

Another suggestion is rather looking at individual shares, start with more broad based instruments like ETFs and unit trusts where they invest in a variety of shares, so even if 1 share collapses the loss is averaged out (but it also means the gains are averaged out).

As for apps / platforms, I guess those you can easily access in Singapore are probably safe as financial institutions are tightly regulated by MAS, either from your bank (usually higher fees), online (eg POEMS, FSMOne) or app based (you can see many adverts of those everywhere).

I thought this comic gives a nice broad overview:

Thanks all for the interesting videos and inputs. Did some research myself and I will start with Tiger Brokers as they seem very popular and got promotional fee for trading options, also read on business times that they got credit for best retail broker. https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/we...est-retail-broker-award-annual-sias-investors
Should be the right choice to start with ba. Anyway i am also on my learning path, hope can get some good side income and have a better returns than saving in the bank.