Anyone planning backpacking trips to Tibet, Nepal, Pakistan, Kashmir,Xinjiang in May?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm new here especially in photoshoots, would like to learn more. Wouldn't mind if I join? I'll be in HK end of this mth for HK Rugby 7 match 30th Mar till 3rd Apr. :)

Jacq said:
TIbet is nice,but try to avoid July/Aug. Wet season, usually cloudy :(
was there 2 years ago, nice place and scenery

May I suggest that you look at the Tibetan calender to see if there are any festivals during this period. Last year we went in Aug to catch the Shotun festival and the Horse races. These are definitely worth the trip as they only happen once a year and add lots of color and excitement to the otherwise beautiful but usual scenery of monasteries, people, and open landscapes.
All the best to your planning.

KP

You should swing by Jiu Zhai Gou as I was told by locals that July is the best time to be there although i was there in October last year. Its beautiful serene lakes (the movie Hero) and also a little bit of "Mountain" people along the way, do stay at the JuiZhaiGou Paradise, its a really beautiful hotel. Journey from Chengdu is 10 hours bus ride (scenic and farms) but one/two day at Jui Zhai Gou and another around the area (multi-layer lake), blueish green lake (some other colours) and waterfalls.

Intend to go back to JuiZhaiGou, Mongolia and Tibet in a single trip but looks like would have to a long, long break for this to work. Just Siem Reap (14-18 APR) and Palau (11-15 MAY) for now.

jaxxb said:
You should swing by Jiu Zhai Gou as I was told by locals that July is the best time to be there although i was there in October last year. Its beautiful serene lakes (the movie Hero) and also a little bit of "Mountain" people along the way, do stay at the JuiZhaiGou Paradise, its a really beautiful hotel. Journey from Chengdu is 10 hours bus ride (scenic and farms) but one/two day at Jui Zhai Gou and another around the area (multi-layer lake), blueish green lake (some other colours) and waterfalls.

Intend to go back to JuiZhaiGou, Mongolia and Tibet in a single trip but looks like would have to a long, long break for this to work. Just Siem Reap (14-18 APR) and Palau (11-15 MAY) for now.

Went Mongolia 10 years back around mid autumn time......... u see the leaves changed colours over 2 - 3 days time........ it's just so awesome.

Jiuzhaigou heard is good to go during autumn too. cos that's when colour of the nature changes oso.

In fact, I would love to go back to Tibet, hopefully this year or next.

kingpin said:
May I suggest that you look at the Tibetan calender to see if there are any festivals during this period. Last year we went in Aug to catch the Shotun festival and the Horse races. These are definitely worth the trip as they only happen once a year and add lots of color and excitement to the otherwise beautiful but usual scenery of monasteries, people, and open landscapes.
All the best to your planning.

KP
Pity we still failed in capturing some shots of long horn LOL. Western Tibet and XinJiang are on my short list. Maybe next year let's go Silk Road? Depart from Xi'an and all the way go to XinJiang.

Sounds like good trip to me. Makes me dream :) .

Jiu Zai Gou is good to visit in Late Sep/ Oct. That is when the Autumn sets in and scenary is the best. I went in early Nov and it was rather cold then, but probably not as crowded. If anyone is going there, you could try Songpan as well. Its a laidback town where ppl are friendly. I did a horseriding trip there. It was awsome.

Iran/ Iraq.. do not think so unless I want to be a war photographer :bsmilie:

Anyway, just enjoy yourself

PhotoGuy said:
Iran/ Iraq.. do not think so unless I want to be a war photographer :bsmilie:

Anyway, just enjoy yourself
I do not think there is any war in iran

for those who flew to tibet, what airlines and which airport do you fly? any direct flight from sg to lhasa?

don't think there's direct flight.

most travellers from singapore fly into Chengdu and then transfer to Lhasa via China Airline. The railway line to Lhasa is slated to be completed this July, and allows you to take a train all the way to Lhasa from Qinghai.

Come to Chendu, stay for a couple of nights. Meanwhile, get the tickets to Lhasa. Total air ticket cost is roghly S$1300.

exhibitj said:
Come to Chendu, stay for a couple of nights. Meanwhile, get the tickets to Lhasa. Total air ticket cost is roghly S$1300.

i saw the flight going chengdu cost <$600, same as going to seoul/tokyo area. boac got a late august trip going to shoto festival (the one they put up a big poster/banner on the mountain) but that cost S$2500-3000 excluding flight to chengdu....

i'm considering a much cheaper trip of going to yunnan and guangxi via train (takes abt 26hrs) or internal flight from guangzhou. travel to guangzhou via budget airline first. hopefully can keep 2 weeks trip within $1500.

so sian. got to save money :confused: but how.... car and house and wife comes first..... so got to make sacrifices....

Status
Not open for further replies.