Proposal: Year 2003 China Trips to Silk Road (May-Jun) and Tibet (Sep-Oct)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Larry
i've always wanted to go Silk Road for photogy but from the looks of things, earliest i can go is year end... oh well, there'll be other chances (i hope)

It's very cooooold during year end. brrRRrrrr...~ :D

S$4~5k and just 20 days on the Silk road?
u must be planning for a luxurious backpacking trip....y not just trolley pull your packs? :p

i spent 6~7weeks overland from beijing to kashgar and back cost me less than 1500SGD + airfare.

Originally posted by PentiumPC
TomShen:
I just spoke to Boon Kok he is okay and quite keen to go on both trip and Ma, The guy that organise their last trip is not in town, Boon Kok will try to contact him later to see if he is interested.

Cheers,
Good news! I'd love to travel with your friends:) Waiting for Ma's feedback...

Originally posted by boochap
u must be planning for a luxurious backpacking trip....then y not just trolley pull your packs?

i spent 6~7weeks overland from beijing to kashgar and back cost me less than 1200SGD + airfare.

:eek:

So cheap? Care to give more details?

u must be planning for a luxurious backpacking trip....y not just trolley pull your packs? :p

i spent 6~7weeks overland from beijing to kashgar and back cost me less than 1500SGD + airfare.
I know. But it's easier to cut down budget than increasing it. Likely in the end we spend much less, say S$2~3k

wah i want to go man
can take a look at the famous silk road and its geological surroundings

But will be going to US for studies in Geology the next month. Must prepare
haha

1. tomshen (silk road: May-Jun; Tibet: Sep-Oct);
2. PentiumPC (as above)
3. Lavenderlilz (silk road May - June, hopefully 14 days max. If
more, need to reconsider)

I think 2 weeks on silk road is acceptable to me as well. I also need to stay with my family for at least one week. In that case we can meet at somewhere say Xi An (city). The rest of you if wanna stay longer also no problem since most of you can speak Mandarin. To save time on travelling on the road back, we will try to take a flight (otherwise might take 3 days on train). The silk road should be less tough than the Tibet trip.

tomshen

so far its only 3 of us who are interested? no one else? so sad.

1. tomshen (silk road: May-Jun; Tibet: Sep-Oct);
2. PentiumPC (as above)
3. Lavenderlilz (silk road May - June, hopefully 14 days max. If
more, need to reconsider)
4. Vic ( Silk Road May - June )

Originally posted by lavenderlilz
tomshen

so far its only 3 of us who are interested? no one else? so sad.
Dun worry, Pentium PC's friend who has been to Tibet will join us and hopefully Ma will go with us as well. Now victor also on board. Basically we need about 4~8 pple, already sufficient to build a team liao. :D

Hi victor, I still remember u. Will ask some info regarding Yun Nan from u later.:p

wanna save money, stay at the zhaodaisuo, take bus, eat at the foodstalls...to make this happened, you have to speak proper mandrain, "banana" type of mandrain might not work, esp when there is always a need to bargain very very hard....

if you dun enjoy bargaining, or otherwise, better be a rich man stay at the designated hotels and makan at the restaurants...yup, the way the communist bueaucrats makan might yet be another wonderful photographic experience :ppp

typical cheap meals could be something like this - you tiao or big big xinjiang "ham-chee-pan" with soyabean milk for breakfast, lanzhou cow meat pull noodle for lunch, 1x big plate of northeastern dumpling for dinner and goat meat satay for supper.. :rbounce:

not just china, but for any travel in asia, non tourist non express buses could be more more fun, provided u have time. because buses have many stops in between, and that u get to get out to pee while they pick up more pessengers and oso u could get more opportunities to photo the beautiful scenery just after your pee.

trains usually travel at high speed, on lowland and runs into tunnels...so u cannot shot anything. besides, organised burglary or bribery on a train is not uncommon.

dun travel the silk road before early april, because many of the high mountain passes will be closed for the ice has not retreat yet, early may will be best....Turpan day temperature is mild at ~40ºC (else into 50ºC during mid summer), another 80km away at Ulumiqi temperature is a perfect ~20ºC.

Ulumiqi is the biggest and most modern city in central asia, u can do all your necessary banking or admin there. the biggest market is in kashgar closer to the border. i remember i bargained for a nice sword at the market from 150RMB down to 50RMB, i was happy for a while as i thought my bargain was great. but walking next door after i had paid the bill, i had a direct offer for a similiar sword for just 30RMB!!!

the silk road criss crosses north and south before it converges at kashgar, then into the pakistani/kazistani/afghanistani borders. depending on your perferences and time, north of ulumqi has huge area of beautiful un-disturbed alpine type of landscape and many pristine lakes, while the south is mainly desert dotted with oasis and ruins of ancient cities.

if u du mind the qualities of the scans, i have some few shots of the silk road in my website. i was just into photography then, and was so anxious to see the print that i got them dev locally and end up with those qualities...couldnt complain, because i knew nothing about print color at that time...

Hi boochap, great narration! We appreciate your insight on the silk road. I am enjoying your photo gallery. Will consult u more in the future if you don't mind.:p

hi boochap, thanks for sharing! always like good descriptions & info of travel destinations :)

Ulumiqi is the biggest and most modern city in central asia, u can do all your necessary banking or admin there. the biggest market is in kashgar closer to the border. i remember i bargained for a nice sword at the market from 150RMB down to 50RMB, i was happy for a while as i thought my bargain was great. but walking next door after i had paid the bill, i had a direct offer for a similiar sword for just 30RMB!!!
think this happens everywhere! ;)

if u du mind the qualities of the scans, i have some few shots of the silk road in my website. i was just into photography then, and was so anxious to see the print that i got them dev locally and end up with those qualities...couldnt complain, because i knew nothing about print color at that time...
Never mind the scans, some good compositions u have there!
:thumbsup:

..NuTs..

no problem, just drop me a note or two, will definitely help.

need to be careful that my experience on the silk road fall back to almost 3yrs ago, so it might not be very up to date, esp in fast changing china. you may wanna check out www.passplanet.com for more updated info.

fyi, the sword i paid for was confiscated when i board a train at kashgar going back to ulumqi, because no weapon is allowed on board.....Xinjiang is a rather sensitive province, Han chinese and Ulgur or kazaks chinese relationship arent really good....to them singapore chinese are just Han chinese (else how to travel cheaply?), so better be careful, esp when u are closer to the border towns.

btw, tibet and the himalayas has always been my dream destination...will definitely wanna go there one day, on my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.