Centralised thread for backpacking photographers

Status
Not open for further replies.
5. Should I bring a tripod?

Don't let your tripod weigh you down. Know what you like to shoot and not let it get in the way. If you shoot more street than landscapes, a lighter one is better, as it can be attached to your backpack or slung around your shoulder, as you need to move around a lot.

I got myself a Slik Sprint Pro with 3-way head. 1.9kg only, cheap and abuse-able, and can be easily attached to the side of my minitrekker backpack. It is more than enough for a DSLR with a wide angle.

Unless you like to shoot landscape with a telephoto lens with low lighting, then you may like to consider a more sturdy tripod. It need not be taller, height does not matter much.

Table-top tripods are also quite useful, for compact digicams at least, but I don't recommend that for DSLRs, even though you can find one that can hold a heavy load. Just use your bag as the support, it works the same. Set your camera on a 10-sec timer, rest in on your bag, aim, and fire away.

One tip is to tape your tripod legs with cheap gaffer tape. Has more grip and is more resistant to knocks.

-More coming later...-

What is in my photography backpack when I go travelling?

I use a Lowepro Minitrekker AW.

What I have inside:
1x DSLR
1x Film SLR (Optional, or equivalent sized backup DSLR)

1x Telephoto lens (70-200mm f/2.8)
1x Wide angle lens (16-35mm)
1x Low light lens (50mm f/1.4 or equivalent)
1x Hotshoe flash (Really optional, I only use it for group shots of friends.)

1x HDD for field backup (Card reader, battery case, wire)
12x AA batteries
2x extra sets of DSLR batteries.

1x 12" screen laptop (Yes, the laptop is small enough to fit into the front pouch of the minitrekker, not to be confused with computrekker, for longer journey)
1x Slik Sprint Pro tripod (attach to the side of the backpack)

Misc small stuff like passport, notebook, pen, MP3 player, filters, flash cards, films, can be stuffed into the lobangs. The rest of the stuff like chargers/adaptors leave them in my main backpack at the hotel.

All these are enough for me for a normal travel holiday. These may seem to be a lot of equipment, but they the bare essentials if you're really into photography. Of coz you can use a P&S, but it's all up to personal preference. Thay are not really that heavy when u put them into a backpack and spread the load between the 2 shoulders.

Tip: I also use a belt with 2 pouches(newswear/thinktank) for quick lens change or put my important document.

-More to come...-

thanks. areality.

Please Moderators, can we have a separate forum for this very much discussed topic? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Looks remarkably like mine, except no flash, no 12x AA batts (oh the weight!), and no laptop (unless its a RTW trip) :)
Oh, yah, a small digital PnS.

What is in my photography backpack when I go travelling?

I use a Lowepro Minitrekker AW.

What I have inside:
1x DSLR
1x Film SLR (Optional, or equivalent sized backup DSLR)

1x Telephoto lens (70-200mm f/2.8)
1x Wide angle lens (16-35mm)
1x Low light lens (50mm f/1.4 or equivalent)
1x Hotshoe flash (Really optional, I only use it for group shots of friends.)

1x HDD for field backup (Card reader, battery case, wire)
12x AA batteries
2x extra sets of DSLR batteries.

1x 12" screen laptop (Yes, the laptop is small enough to fit into the front pouch of the minitrekker, not to be confused with computrekker, for longer journey)
1x Slik Sprint Pro tripod (attach to the side of the backpack)

Misc small stuff like passport, notebook, pen, MP3 player, filters, flash cards, films, can be stuffed into the lobangs. The rest of the stuff like chargers/adaptors leave them in my main backpack at the hotel.

All these are enough for me for a normal travel holiday. These may seem to be a lot of equipment, but they the bare essentials if you're really into photography. Of coz you can use a P&S, but it's all up to personal preference. Thay are not really that heavy when u put them into a backpack and spread the load between the 2 shoulders.

Tip: I also use a belt with 2 pouches(newswear/thinktank) for quick lens change or put my important document.

-More to come...-

A very comprehensive info. good effort, friend!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.