anyone been to london and manchester?

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks :) im trying to see if i can find students who want to let their apts out for a week. my cousin is studying there adn she's helpuing me ask around. prob can get 1 week for 120 pounds

ldft said:
Just a point to note, spend some time trawling the web for deals on places to stay while you are on this vist, as the savings can be HUGE.

Was in Manchester last year, booked a bed and breakfast deal for a 3 star hotel online. For room and Breakfast for 2, it was 49 pounds, for 50 pounds, it included dinner. Was expecting something crappy, but ended up with this offer, each of us could order anything up to 12 pounds worth per head. So essentially got 24 pounds value for 1 pound. Saved more than S$75 per day. You may not be able to get that good a deal as you are going in summer, which is peak season, but if you try, can easily save S$50-100 per day.

Good luck

Ya, we stayed at one of the hiltons (opp euston stn. 10 mins walk from the main shoping center like oxford street) in london at $69 pounds for 2 through internet booking. The price we saw at the hotel was more than 3 times that. Really great deal as the place was very centrally located and the room was very nice.

I did not know can rent student apartment for a week. wow... 120pounds for a week. CHEAP!!!

As to where to go, it is really personal. London has so many things to see. What me and my wife did for the short 3 days, was mainly shopping, watched a musical, go to the parks, took a day trip to stonehenge + bath.

We just left ONE day before the bus exploded RIGHT OUTSIDE our hotel. Esle will be REALLY exciting...

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
ive been accepted to uni of manchester. :) will go there if NUS rejects me. will def want to visit the uni.

wah entrance fee for everything? sigh. i've got the impression that london and manchester have a lot of historical sites, museums and relics. is that true?

also, any must-visits?

Congrats! Studied there many years ago. That time, Manchester Uni and UMIST were separate. Now they have been merged. Manchester has no historical sites as far as I know (apart from old trafford).
It was a complete dump when I was studying there and I was very depressed. But I heard that the city has been renewed recently due to Commonwealth Games etc. Would like to see it myself. The main shopping aread, Arndale, was bombed by the IRA just before I left.. they probably did a good thing on hindsight...:D It now looks a lot better.

Living expenses in Manchester is a lot cheaper than London although there won't be as much to see. A lot more to do in London.

Let me know how it goes and post pics!!!

yeap i sure will! im actually waiting for my pending application to nus law school. interview yesterday and written test tomorrow. if they reject me, then it's off to manchester for me. i've heard its a very nice place to live in now :)

yeap i sure will! im actually waiting for my pending application to nus law school. interview yesterday and written test tomorrow. if they reject me, then it's off to manchester for me. i've heard its a very nice place to live in now :)

Hope you make it to Manchester. I knew many people who read law there and they were happy with the course. Of course, having the oppty to study overseas gives you a much broader mind. At least that is what I found. Qualification wise, NUS and MU should be the same if you plan to come back to work.

All the best!

thanks :) im trying to see if i can find students who want to let their apts out for a week. my cousin is studying there adn she's helpuing me ask around. prob can get 1 week for 120 pounds

failing which, you may consider checking out the halls of residence.. sometimes they rent out the rooms during summer hols..

overdodo said:
If you are visiting universities, Imperial College is right opposite hyde park and *RIGHT* next to royal albert hall and *RIGHT* next to the natural history museum and science museum.

all museums are free as far as I remember. NHM and the Science museum are amazing... the british musuem is even more amazing. you could spend 1 entire day in there and not see everything.

cheers

You could spend a MONTH in the British museum and not see every thing. Been there 3 times now :)
(However my wife and I are museum junkies :)

In general the large museums that are run by government trusts are free, this wasn't always the case and seems to be a recent thing.
Anything 'tourist' will be expensive. And it's not just the exchange rate - they really are expensive.

Manchester is pretty well the start of the Industrial revolution - and as such their 'technology' museum is really good (if you are into that sort of thing). The museum incorporates the orginal Manchester railway station from the worlds first 'common carrier' railway line that carried both paying passengers and goods.
(As apposed to the even earlier railways in the Newcastle upon Tyne area that were for carrying coal from the mines to the ports).
The Manchester museum has working reconstruction of the world first stored program digital computer, something that was designed and built at Manchester Uni. The digital world started in Manchester, not the US. Unfortunately for the British, 'baby' was classified so for years they couldn't talk about it and had to let the Americans take all the credit :)

Status
Not open for further replies.