Any way of checking USB1.1 or USB 2.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnesmullen

Jun 26, 2004
Any way of checking the transfer rate for webcams? As in, how do I check whether its a true USB 2.0 webcam or a USB 1.1 webcam?
Thanks. :)

There should be a USB 2.0 logo somewhere on the box that states which speed the device will operate at, and here is where it gets a little bit interesting.

USB 2.0 logo only - likely a low-speed device with 1.5Mbps transfer rate.

USB 2.0 Full Speed - 12Mbps transfer rate.

USB 2.0 Hi-Speed - 480Mbps transfer rate.

Darren, you mean, they really do that? As in, its an universally known thing? ie. if its the logo, its a low speed device? :bigeyes:

Oh btw, if I had thrown away the box, then is there any tool or software to able to check the transfer rate for webcams? Or any other way to know? thanks. :)

if its XP, when u plug in a usb2.0 high speed device, bubble help pops saying its a high speed device.

if your computer have a USB 2.0 port, plugging any USB 1.1 devices into it, Windows XP will pop up a balloon saying "Low speed usb plug into high speed port" or something.

i think agnesmullen was intending to check whether its usb 1 or 2 , b4 buying...ie only can read on the box

agnesmullen said:
Darren, you mean, they really do that? As in, its an universally known thing? ie. if its the logo, its a low speed device? :bigeyes:
According to the USB.org site, yes, if its just the USB 2.0 logo without any Full/Hi-Speed mark, its running at a very low speed.

You only get true USB2.0 speed (480Mbps) with the USB 2.0 Hi-Speed mark.

Any software to check the transfer speed? Just to ensure that my pdt is working at its optimal?

Status
Not open for further replies.