Another newbie learning to take food photos (+ food reviews)

one of my fav lor mee @ chong boon market...

the highlights here are the fried dumplings and japanese ramen style char siew... the fried dumplings are crispy and tasty... the char siew is tender and nicely braised... something that u would normally find in japanese ramen only... and u pay just a fraction of the price...! this one is $2.50 portion...

look at that char siew...!!

overall ratings... 4.75/5...

regards,
wacky

HKM @ singapore food trails...

and ice ball dessert...

the HKM is below average... not fragrant at all and not very flavourful... quite disappointing... 2/5....
i dunno how authentic is the ice ball here since there wasn't such things when i was a kid already... it's quite similar to ice kachang except the ice is in ball shape and milk is not used... ice is a bit on the hard side.... overall still an okay dessert... i'd just give it extra 0.25 marks for the efforts to recreate the ice ball... so ratings would be 3.25/5...

regards,
wacky

ah guan mee pok @ 69 syed alwi road....

the soup is tasty and ingredients are fresh...

but the thing that stands out here is the noodles... loved their noodles here... it's a bit like maggie mee... very Q... wriggly and tasty... the sauce goes nicely with the noodles...

overall ratings: 4.6/5...

regards,
wacky

the famous baikohken @ north canal road...

used insing vouchers for this... so it basically costs $9.80 nett for each bowl of ramen...

my fren had the shio... which taste very chinese style of soup..

i had shoyu... soup is pretty good...

noodles is also good...

overall everything is pretty good also not fantastic... too bad there isn't anything in particular that stands out of all the highly competitive ramen market here... so overall ratings i'd only give it 4/5...

regards,
wacky

my umpteenth time to santouka... and this time am using insing's deal... which costs $21.60 for pork cheek ramen plus alot of other stuff like salad... salmon roe rice... chawamushi... eggs... and jap tea...

as i 100% of the time go santouka wouldn't miss out on the pork cheeks... i've actually NOT eaten the other non ramen stuff other than the chawamushi (which is ordinary) ... so the voucher gave me opportunity to try the others stuff... and surprisingly to me i find the salmon roe rice and salad to be pretty nice...! i'm not a salad person and rarely do i say salad is nice... other than this and the spinning salad at lawrys...

i'll not rate the noodles again... for the other stuff.. the ratings are:
chawamushi - 3.5/5...
salmon roe rice - 4.25/5...
salad - 4.5/5...

regards,
wacky

2nd visit to menya musashi...!

red...

white...

black...

red white black...

i had the red musashi this time... the soup is very interesting... it doesn't taste spicy at first... but when u swallow it... the back of your throat will feel the spiciness.... still prefer the black musashi though.... and the braised pork is as heavenly as ever.... overall 4.5/5...

regards,
wacky

Keng Eng Kee Seafood @ bukit merah... i'd wish i could order more dishes but too bad it's just 2 of us so could only order limited dishes...

prawn paste chicken...

fried kalan with garlic...

their famous dish - mingzhu roll...

ordered wrong combo too... cos everything is on the dry side... so it affected my taste buds too as i'm reaching for water all the time... overall ratings: 4/5...

regards,
wacky

chia keng HKM @ serangoon garden...

good chilli... flavourful stock.... overall ratings: 4.5/5...

regards,
wacky

chomp chomp hawker centre... dunno why... this place is SWARMING with sugar cane stalls selling sugar cane with all sorts of pattern and in BIG JUGS...

i ordered "small" one which is pretty big already at $1.50... if u had seen the big ones... it's really HUGE and easily 2-3pax can share...! the sugar cane drink is pretty satisfying... i guess probably thanks to the competition here too that they can't afford to give sub-standard sugar cane and lose out to its competitors...

fried kway tiao is on the drier side... i prefer wetter food in general.... but this is still pretty good...

ratings:
sugar cane - 4.5/5...
char kway tiao - 4/5...

regards,
wacky

It would be better if your shots have more contrast. Work on your composition too. keep it up!