Another newbie learning to take food photos (+ food reviews)

Punggol Noodles @ hainanese village centre @ lorong ah soo...

i ordered $4 with extra ingredients... didn't know have to ask for meatballs....

not bad... the ingredients are very tasty... soup is good also but not the robust kind... so overall not that satisfying as ming ji... rating 4/5...

regards,
wacky

one of my fav kway chup stall located at blk 511 bedok north st 3 market...

the hazy photo of the stall is because of condensation on my lens after i got off from a cold bus... and i forgot to wipe it off... and by the time i did wipe off the condensation i paiseh and too lazy to retake the shot...

i love their chilli which is very tangy and packs quite a punch...! the best thing i like here is the pig's tongue... which is something not so common.... the pig's tongue is very tender... smooth... and got a certain springy-ness that makes it a delight to chew...! the kuay chup and soup is also quite nice.... only thing is the kuay chup gravy is slightly on the salty side...

overall ratings: 4.5/5... (5/5 just for the pig's tongue)

regards,
wacky

the longest queue in the newly reopened blk 4A eunos creascent food centre... as i go past there daily to work... i'd queue up here for my breakfast here about once a week...

love the fried fish they put inside... and the gravy is nice and gluey... i also love the charshu here.. it's like the type of charshu u could get in japanese ramen... and i'd say it's better than the charshu in the average japanese ramen restaurants...!

anyway usually i order thick beehoon or kway tiao if they dun have thick beehoon... cos i dun like yellow noodles plus i think the thick gravy goes best with the texture of thick beehoon or kway tiao... cos it makes it especially smooth and slippery so it's slide down the mouth easily....

overall ratings: 4.25/5...

regards,
wacky

finally get to try dong ji @ old airport road... this is WAAAAAY better than LFZ... although to be fair... the style is different... cos this one is more like penang CKT style than dark sweet sauce kind...

ordered $4 one with prawns + sotong...

love the wok hei of the noodles... one of the best CKT i've eaten...!

overall ratings: 4.6/5...

regards,
wacky

bought my fav curry puffs...!! 1A used to be my fav curry puffs until i ate wang wang... their style is like 1A... but MUCH BETTER...! the make on the spot and it's best eaten when is hot...! the fillings inside is full of gravy... and the chicken they used is very smooth... tender and fresh..! u could taste the distinct chicken taste even with all that curry and potatoes...

i asked permission from the uncle to snap photos of the curry puffs in the making... he asked wat do i do with the photos... when i told him i post them on the web... he invited me to take photos of the freshly made puffs...!

the only thing is that it doesn't come with eggs... i love curry puffs with eggs inside... but then the tasty fillings and chicken more than make up for the lack of egg...!

overall ratings: 4.75/5...

regards,
wacky

Last edited:
got coupon for $7.90 meal @ carls jr changi city point...

ordered the chilli cheeseburger set...

the burger...

my added ingredients... :D

the chilli cheeseburger not as nice as other carl's jr burgers... but still better den ur ordinary McD... burger is juicy and cheese is melted... but other than that nothing much special about it... but carl's jr fries are as good as ever... ratings for fries: 4.5/5... ratings for burger: 3.75/5... overall ratings: 4/5...

regards,
wacky

ate this at AMK blk628 market...

loved the ingredients... soup and noodles...! the noodles is very bouncy and Q... liver and bak chor very fresh and full of flavour.... soup is also robust but too bad just a small bowl.... one of the best BCM i've eaten.... overall still prefer ming ji though...

overall ratings: 4.75/5...

had desserts from this stall:

had ginko nuts soup... not a fan of ginko nuts soup though... the soup is not bad though... i'd think that this is not bad for those who like ginko nuts soup...

overall ratings: 4/5...

regards,
wacky

Last edited:
this is eunos blk 4A food centre lor mee again... wanted to repost cos this time i had better pics...

and this time i ate thick beehoon...

lao san kway chup at blk232 AMK ave 3...

very nice kway chup... all the items are yummy... from the kway to the soup.. chilli... pig organs and dark sauce... the dark sauce has a nice combi of savoury and sweet... that goes well with the pig organs...

overall ratings: 4.5/5...

regards,
wacky

first time trying de burg...

ordered the smaller (and cheaper) bacon cheeseburger...

loved the burger.... the beef patty is juicy... bacon is crispy and the bread is fresh and tasty... fries is also good...!

i'd sure be back again some other day...!

regards,
wacky

saveur used to be located at a stall in ali baba coffee shop located in katong (just opposite of katong 112 mall)... now they shifted to purvis street and is now a restaurant with aircon... i went there on sat evening... and there was a SUPER LONG queue...!! i set my personal record for waiting for food... had waited 1hr 20min b4 we get to go in...! and we still had to quite quite a while before our food is served...!

pan fried foie gras with lentils and pickled onion... ordered the small one (35g) costs $7.90... i had missed the their foei gras... and it's still as good as ever...! loved the fatty liver which is choke full with flavour and is smooth... the beans are also nice although not that special... i'd score it perfect if the beans can be even better...! ratings: 4.75/5...

angel hair pasta with sherry minced pork and sakura ebi ($3.90) ... first time eating this... loved the thin strands of pasta and its texture... ratings: 4.5/5...

the duck confit ran out so we ordered the chicken roulade with foie gras stuffing and basmati rice ($9.90) ... chicken is very flavourful but can't seems to tell where the foie gras is... ratings: 4.25/5...

crispy pork belly with poached egg and diced vegetables... apart the very crispy and fragrant skin... the meat is very tender and fatty but it lacked of a bit of pork flavour.... and the egg didn't help to add more interesting taste or dimension to the dish... ratings: 4.25/5...

regards,
wacky

had desserts after saveur at honeymoon dessert @ bugis junction... i had wanting to come here to try for a very long time already...! cos the design of the shop is very enticing...!

sesame paste with almond tea... i like that both sesame paste and almond tea are not too sweet and they are smooth... but they are lacking a certain fragrance to make it outstanding... ratings: 4.25/5...

ordered this because it's listed as one of their specialty... mango in coconut juice with thai black glutinous rice... also not too sweet... but the coconut and glutinous are lacking certain fragrance.... mango is smooth and sweet but it doesn't contribute to the dessert on the whole... ratings: 3.75/5...

regards,
wacky

Your exposure is getting better. Nice!!

Your exposure is getting better. Nice!!

thanks...! it's all in the lighting... sometimes i still don't get it right... :x

regards,
wacky

menya musashi @ raffles city... went there with a friend...

we ordered 1 set and 1 ramen... a set consists of ramen + fried gyoza here... which yummy...

white musashi...

black musashi..

regards,
wacky

the noodles...

the highlight of the place must be the stewed pork here...!

the egg of the noodles is kinda too hard... not the runny egg i love... soup is very tasty although a tad oily... the stewed pork is very tender... flavourful and fatty.... it's probably the next best pork u can find in ramen after santouka's pork cheeks...

regards,
wacky

had always wanted to try this oyster omelette @ blk 22 toa payoh lor 7..

i love the tangy chilli which is very powerful... the oysters are large and yummy... the oyster omelette is not too starchy and crispy... one of the best i've eaten... 4.6/5...

chendol from dove desserts also from the same place...

had high expectations of this... loved the gula melaka and coconut milk.. but it quickly melts and once it melted... it's become not so interesting... 4.25/5...

regards,
wacky

read alot of good reviews about this ulu place called kilo kitchen @ 66 kampong bugis.... unfortunately my expections fell short... food is not bad but nothing great...

also the place is damn dark and w/o aircon... end up my photos turned up pretty lousy even with maximum F1.7 aperture...

day-night 12hr pork belly with purple mash & crackling... the purple mash is nice and flavourful... the pork belly meat is tender... but the skin is SUPER HARD... it's like trying to eat crab shell or something... ratings: 3.5/5...

scallops in mushroom sauce + vine tomatoes & sauteed white wine mushrooms... mushroom sauce is very nice but scallops are rather bland and lacked of scallops taste... ratings: 3.75/5...

regards,
wacky

lastly... bbq riblets & roasted parmesan rosemary potatoes... ribs are tender but nothing much special about this... ratings 3.25/5...

decided to skip dessert at that place and went down to dessert first @ liang seah street instead... and forgot to take pic of the place...

anyway had this durian snow ice... VERY SATISFYING after a not-so satisfying meal at kilo.... the durian is very powerful... there are like 2 types of durian puree they used... both are very nice... and the snow ice is damn smooth and goes VERY well with the smooth durian...! 4.8/5...

regards,
wacky

1 for 1 main course @ lawry's weekday lunch... very worth the $$$...!!

nice warm bread to start...

we added $14.90 to complete our lunch with set meal... which comes with their famous spinning salad... desserts of the day and coffee/tea.... for a non salad person... i actually quite liked this...! i was told that black pepper goes well with the salad... and it really does...! i never think i'd ever find salad to be nice... so i'd give high marks for this...! ratings: 4.5/5...

mushroom soup... reminds me of the yummy mushroom soup @ tasting room i've had... this is almost as good with plenty of mushrooms which i could taste them individually... ratings: 4.5/5...

regards,
wacky

juicy steak at the carving station...!!!

best steak i've had (apart from the lawry's i've had in chicago)...! can tell the difference between the steak here and at any other place... this one is tender... easy to chew... fatty and very flavourful...! it's like eating jelly... out of the world...! however the mashed potatoes is not as good as i can eat lumps of potatoes... the sauce is also normal tasting... perhaps i like my mashed potatoes to be totally smooth.... ratings 5/5 for the steak... 4/5 for the mashed potatoes...

yorkshire pudding... don't know how to describe this... it's nice and a bit like bread or pastry... but not quite the same... u have to try it for yourself to understand..! ratings: 4.5/5...

desserts... forgot wat they are called... the fisrt one is something like strawberry in some kind of mash... very nice... it's not as sweet as it seems.... and is moist and soggy but yummy... 4.6/5...

this one think is chocolate truffle cake with blueberries and ice-cream...? choc is strong and dark which i like... the vanilla ice-cream balance off the choc and blueberries give it sweet taste... 4.5/5...

forgot to take pics of the tea... which are special and we get to smell the tea leaves b4 choosing them....

overall very satisfying meal.... the service is top notched too...!

regards,
wacky