Another happy new d50 owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

afterdark

Feb 4, 2005
hi all,

finally gotten my maiden dslr this evening as after months of thinking. had fiddled with my friend d70s and was almost tempted into getting it but pulled back to the d50 due to budget constraints. now my next consideration as with others is whether to get the 55-200 or try to sell the d50 kit lens and get the sigma 18-200. i've did some homework and looking into my pockets i think i'll be getting the 55-200 for the added range. if you guys has any opinions or advice for me please let me know!

sell both and get the 18-70. Use that lens for a while to learn your camera and what you want to shoot. then you progress from there on.

you wouldn't advise getting the 18-200 immediately? for now and the near future i'll be doing mostly walk about shooting, travel photography is eventually what i hope to become good in. can i ask also how much is the 18-55/f3.5-5.6g de kit lens roughly worth in resale value?

afterdark said:
you wouldn't advise getting the 18-200 immediately? for now and the near future i'll be doing mostly walk about shooting, travel photography is eventually what i hope to become good in. can i ask also how much is the 18-55/f3.5-5.6g de kit lens roughly worth in resale value?
a lazy lens but easy to carry around...
liking of the pic quality depends on individual. :)

afterdark said:
. can i ask also how much is the 18-55/f3.5-5.6g de kit lens roughly worth in resale value?

should be around $150

Big Kahuna said:
Play around with curves.....you will be amazed by how much improvement it can make on your picture:thumbsup:

You mean curves from Photoshop?

net-g said:
You mean curves from Photoshop?

Yeah...there are also curves for the in camera processing....but I prefer the former as I have the flexibility to use different setting for different scenario :thumbsup:

Unless you have budget to get the Nikon 18-200VR otherwise the 18-70 is a good choice.
If absolutely no choice than get the Tamron. 2nd hand for sale by laforge.
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=168213

afterdark said:

thanks for all the replies! nikon 18-200 is way out of my budget..:( ....am i right to say that the kit 18-55 and 55-200 together is going to give better images than a single sigma/tamron 18-200, so it's a question of whether the quality tradeoff for convenience of having a single lens is worth it?

The tamron 18-200 gives f3.5 -6.3. The only reason why i got this lens is that I shoot between 18-200 and the work of changing lens may means that i will not be able to capture shots that I want. In other words, this is my walkabout lens which serves my purposes. It is a great lens for shooters with a tight budget.:)

Check out my JBP pixs that I tested out with the tamron lens and yes, i am selling my lens.. Dennis, thanks for the plugging :bsmilie: .

If you are comparing with the 18-55 and 55-200 to Tamron I think still comparable but the 18-200 gives an edge in terms of convenience and handling speed. IMHO it is worth it.
Seen some pic for the 18-55 and they are no better than the 18-200 but again I don't have the 18-55 so can't tell if it is a bad example of the lens or photographer.

afterdark said:
thanks for all the replies! nikon 18-200 is way out of my budget..:( ....am i right to say that the kit 18-55 and 55-200 together is going to give better images than a single sigma/tamron 18-200, so it's a question of whether the quality tradeoff for convenience of having a single lens is worth it?

thanks for the advice! i'm also getting paranoid about dust getting into the body during lens switching...now i gotta carefully see what i can get with what i have. can't wait for the weekends to get out and about with the cam!

Dennis said:
If you are comparing with the 18-55 and 55-200 to Tamron I think still comparable but the 18-200 gives an edge in terms of convenience and handling speed. IMHO it is worth it.
Seen some pic for the 18-55 and they are no better than the 18-200 but again I don't have the 18-55 so can't tell if it is a bad example of the lens or photographer.

afterdark said:
thanks for the advice! i'm also getting paranoid about dust getting into the body during lens switching...now i gotta carefully see what i can get with what i have. can't wait for the weekends to get out and about with the cam!

Hi there,

Try to get first those necessary items such as a cleaning kit with a good blower and also a good cloth, next will be a camera bag.

For the lens-wise, it depends on you. Nikon 18-55 and 55-200 will cover a good range already. Next you can think about getting a prime lens such as the 50mm f1.8. But the main thing is, you must know what is the type of photography that you want to take and also the effect that you want to achieve.

Try to shoot more and learn. Good day.

I suggest you stick around with your current 18-55mm and 'see' at which focal length you end up taking most photographs at.

If your current set up is only the D50+kit lens, I suggest you spend firstly on a dry cabinet (what someone has mentioned in the previous post) and a decent tripod. Maybe a flash later.

afterdark said:

Hi,

Dust getting onto the sensor is a pretty annoying and frequent problem. I had the same thought as you when I got my camera with kit lens. I kept the kit lens screwed on since it was my only lens, and voila, still get dust........So, either send back to NSC or get a good blower.

Also, I recommend the 50mm f1.8 if you have to take indoor shots of family or children or animals. With the 1.5X FLM, it makes it about 75mm. Its a fast and sharp lens and whats more comes with a low price of about $175. Value for money but depends on whether you need it. I just got one as a christmas present from my gf and am appreciating the extra speed I get photographing her, my pet dog and cat.

Regards,
tltan

Is a airtight plastic box plus some silica gel a substitute for a dry cabinet? Am living at a temporary place now, so won't be investing in physically big stuff.

net-g said:
Is a airtight plastic box plus some silica gel a substitute for a dry cabinet? Am living at a temporary place now, so won't be investing in physically big stuff.

Suggest that you get a dry cabi, the 30L one doesnt take up much space. Silica gel long term, u end up spending a sum of money on them..recycling them is unhealthy to both you and the environment. Save a bit and get the dry cabi, its worth it. Because its difficult to control humidity in the dry box and overzealous adding of silica gel results in the environment being too dry which is not good as well..

regards,
tltan

Status
Not open for further replies.