Another happy new d50 owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
afterdark said:
hi all,

finally gotten my maiden dslr this evening as after months of thinking. had fiddled with my friend d70s and was almost tempted into getting it but pulled back to the d50 due to budget constraints. now my next consideration as with others is whether to get the 55-200 or try to sell the d50 kit lens and get the sigma 18-200. i've did some homework and looking into my pockets i think i'll be getting the 55-200 for the added range. if you guys has any opinions or advice for me please let me know!

my walkabout lens is the D50 kit lens 18 -55mm lens. When I need the close-up, I usually walk closer to shoot. I also have a 70-300mm lens currently, but most times I use the 18-55mm lens. What I would need now is a wide angle lens.

If you have a budget, get the 55-200mm lens. It would also certainly depend on what you usually shoot. Consider your needs first before buying.

sorry can i crash this thread? I am also another "happy new d50 owner"

My questions is what is a dry carb for?

In short, to keep your lenses 'fungus-free' when you cameras are not in use.

thanks for all the very helpful replies :)

i think i'll be getting the 55-200 very soon, it'll be useful for shooting people from far and for simple events i guess? will need to get protection for the cam's lcd screen and a bag as well. the free nikon bag is too big :bsmilie: finally a dry box or digicab....there goes my first pay:sweat:

afterdark said:
thanks for all the very helpful replies :)

i think i'll be getting the 55-200 very soon, it'll be useful for shooting people from far and for simple events i guess? will need to get protection for the cam's lcd screen and a bag as well. the free nikon bag is too big :bsmilie: finally a dry box or digicab....there goes my first pay:sweat:

You might want to wait on the bag until you get the 55-200mm lens. Be sure to get a bag suitable to carry all your usual gear. I usually carry my D50, SB-800, 70-300mm lens, and other accessories like filters, batteries, and extra SD card, so I got bags that would fit them.

For the LCD screen, try the DA protector. hard and thick plastic to protect the screen. Got it through a Mo on the consumer corner. Try there.

For drycab, try carreforre. It would be worthwhile to just get a digital dry cab, instead of getting dry boxes and then later switched to a dry cab that would fit all your equipment.

Just my views...;)

i decided to get the bag first else i can't get out ;p just got a crumpler 5 million this evening, looks like only enough for the cam + another set of lens. now i am wondering whether if i should go back and change to the 6 million bag instead or not. seems that no mo for da protector lately, think i gotta order it myself. tried looking for the cheap sheet type which we can cut down to size ourselves, but couldn't find it only small little pieces for like $20 :angry: next stop the lens...and finally the digicab or drybox decision hah!

blive said:
You might want to wait on the bag until you get the 55-200mm lens. Be sure to get a bag suitable to carry all your usual gear. I usually carry my D50, SB-800, 70-300mm lens, and other accessories like filters, batteries, and extra SD card, so I got bags that would fit them.

For the LCD screen, try the DA protector. hard and thick plastic to protect the screen. Got it through a Mo on the consumer corner. Try there.

For drycab, try carreforre. It would be worthwhile to just get a digital dry cab, instead of getting dry boxes and then later switched to a dry cab that would fit all your equipment.

Just my views...;)

make sure the bag can fit 3 lens, 1 flash and a lot of other barang barang. or else you might ned up changing bags every now and then.

a bag and drycab/box is a must to get.
sizewise
bag- enough to carry out yr equipment without hurting yr shoulder else a backpack will be gd.
Drycab/Box- need to get a really big 1 like 60l/80l...

:) finally joined the DSLR family. Got my D50 kit + lowerpro bag+ DigiCabi 30L + the offer 55-200mm(pending from nikon) from MS Color a few days back.haiz.. starting to feel the pinch but enjoying the results from the shots taken so far.

zachmus said:
:) finally joined the DSLR family. Got my D50 kit + lowerpro bag+ DigiCabi 30L + the offer 55-200mm(pending from nikon) from MS Color a few days back.haiz.. starting to feel the pinch but enjoying the results from the shots taken so far.

Hey... may I know how much you pay for your DigiCabi?

Is it big enough for 1 x D50 body, 3 x lens, 1 x flash......?

kevyan said:

Maybe now, but as it takes up space in your house anyway, might as well buy a bigger one for your future purchases. The 30L, should cost you below S$100 though.

Sorry to budge in all the sudden~

this Q is for those who had tried D50 & owner of D50..

i'm kinda interested how does the D50 feels?? is the function good??? :) is it worth the $$$

i havent try the D50 yet.. so i dunno how it feels;) care to share the honor?

zhang3feng said:
Sorry to budge in all the sudden~

this Q is for those who had tried D50 & owner of D50..

i'm kinda interested how does the D50 feels?? is the function good??? :) is it worth the $$$

i havent try the D50 yet.. so i dunno how it feels;) care to share the honor?

i hold it before and i think i agree with the majority, the feeling of holding it in ur hands is just one word "shiok!"

kcuf2 said:
i hold it before and i think i agree with the majority, the feeling of holding it in ur hands is just one word "shiok!"

I absolutely second that! Was faced with the standard budget dslr decision of whether to go for 350D, D50 or D70s. I don't have huge hands but the D50/D70s' handle feels so much better that I just had to go this way. Had also fiddled with my friend's D70s, found that it felt slightly more solid but D50 has been a great buy no regrets at all for me. Function wise can't comment being a newbie but lotsa info out there helped made my choice. Just sharing my personal experience :)

kcuf2 said:

100% Agree :cool:

kcuf2 said:

yea man.. D70s sure feels more shiok then a 350D :thumbsup:

afterdark said:
hi all,

finally gotten my maiden dslr this evening as after months of thinking. had fiddled with my friend d70s and was almost tempted into getting it but pulled back to the d50 due to budget constraints. now my next consideration as with others is whether to get the 55-200 or try to sell the d50 kit lens and get the sigma 18-200. i've did some homework and looking into my pockets i think i'll be getting the 55-200 for the added range. if you guys has any opinions or advice for me please let me know!

Sorry to crash in your thread, i am also another Happy new D50 user as of today! :bsmilie:

kevyan said:

got it for $99. 30L one. Should not be a prob. But u wont have much space left. If u stil tinking of expanding ur kits in the near future, its best u get bigger capacity one. Anyway i got it frm MScolor thou.

Just back from my Taiwan trip with my family,
Enjoyed my D50 very much and felt the envy on other people's face when they see me snapping away without having to wait like other compact digital cameras.

Almost finished two 1GB SD card, this is the first time I just shoot without having to worry about running out of "film", the feeling is GOOD. :D

Got 300+ photos printed at Fuji digital printing and collected them in one hour, great service and quality of print is excellent. Just like film camera photos.

I am glad I got this D50 camera, how I wish this camera was available five years ago.

Dodo said:
Just back from my Taiwan trip with my family,
Enjoyed my D50 very much and felt the envy on other people's face when they see me snapping away without having to wait like other compact digital cameras.

Almost finished two 1GB SD card, this is the first time I just shoot without having to worry about running out of "film", the feeling is GOOD. :D

Got 300+ photos printed at Fuji digital printing and collected them in one hour, great service and quality of print is excellent. Just like film camera photos.

I am glad I got this D50 camera, how I wish this camera was available five years ago.

hi dodo, do u use M,A,S or P functions or u set to auto for your shoots?

Status
Not open for further replies.