Annoying color calibration problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

munkey

Apr 25, 2007
Hi all.

Just a quick one before i bump out for the day. When I take some photos, I would notice the colours displayed on my canon LCD, set to adobe RGB. However, when I open them with Windows Picture Viewer, the colours are a good +20 RED as compared to the same photo opened in Photoshop CS2. This is going to sound really stupid, but which one should I adjust the photo colours to? The Win Viewer or Photoshop?

Thanks a buncH.

Hi all.

Just a quick one before i bump out for the day. When I take some photos, I would notice the colours displayed on my canon LCD, set to adobe RGB. However, when I open them with Windows Picture Viewer, the colours are a good +20 RED as compared to the same photo opened in Photoshop CS2. This is going to sound really stupid, but which one should I adjust the photo colours to? The Win Viewer or Photoshop?

Thanks a buncH.

Allow me to answer with a question: Which of these 2 applications is a sophisticated tool for picture editing and manipulating? Beside this, some basic monitor calibration should be the first step before you trust any of these programs or adjust colors of your pictures.

the colours on either program is only as accurate as the calibration of your monitor.. and a print out is only as accurate as the degree of "sync" between the lcd and the printer..

i've had the experience of having nice pics on screen but turned out horrendous on the print out.. :S

Which one may be the lesser of two evils then? I dont see myself investing in a colour calibration program as the photos are for personal use, occasionally paid but nothing too hardcore.

For the record, I've tuned the colours in Photoshop CS2 to the exact spot on my camera's LCD, eg they are almost identical. However, it will still appear too reddish when using other progs to view. What i am concerned with is that while it may look alright on my screen, it may be terribly off on someone else's monitor - hence my masterpiece may be turned away as a piece of junk.

Sad but true. Any noble ideas?

You might wish to try to set your camera to use sRGB instead of AdobeRGB.

Would that be better? I notice how everyone raves about "adobeRGB better when viewing" I dont know where they get it from, but alot of people are using it instead of sRGB. For reasons unknown.

For the record, I've tuned the colours in Photoshop CS2 to the exact spot on my camera's LCD, eg they are almost identical. However, it will still appear too reddish when using other progs to view. What i am concerned with is that while it may look alright on my screen, it may be terribly off on someone else's monitor - hence my masterpiece may be turned away as a piece of junk.

Your camera LCD is not a calibrated device at should only serve as a quick review of the shot taken. In terms of color and brightness it doesn't deliver any accuracy. Most consumer devices (monitors, printers) only support sRGB, so there is no use and no sense in using AdobeRGB.
So you might want to start with using sRGB in your camera and then calibrating your monitor. If you want to print out things then your printer must be calibrated as well. Check how to use color profiles for monitors and printers.

Status
Not open for further replies.