amatuer try 6 - chocolate muffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_Yeo

Feb 27, 2004
Sengkang
www.boo.sg
muffin5.jpg

My wife made one for our cell group on Friday's night =)

yummlicious! I love muffins + milk!

the flash seems too strong in the pic, creates a very disturbing reflection... :think:

jus my opinion.. hope it's ok with u:sweat:

anyway ur wife is really talent in cooking n baking... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

im just wondering if you've learnt anything from your previous 5 tries.

problems here,
poor composition- the 5 partial muffins are distracting and irritating. Aim for a clean composition, so either zoom out or remove the offending 5. either shoot 1 or 3, if 5 then have a uncomplicated pattern, be creatively uncreative.

Colour- a choc muffin being a choc muffin it doesn't offer any colour other than brown. so you have to freshen it up some. your aim is not to attract people who are already wanting to have a muffin; your aim is to attract people who had no intention of eating your muffin to want to!
Choice of plate, the muffin holder, any supporting chars like kit_fisto's milk, cloth napkin, etc

Harsh lighting- can you see all the specular highlights on the choc chips? do you find that distracting?

Subject choice- if you're really really serious on improving, choose a better muffin! ask your wife to make an extra muffin with top-up choc chips placed selectively. an ugly muffin won't get you far.

I agreed that the flash is too strong. I dun like the white patches too :(

as you can see, I am a very slow learner... I think it will take to "Amatuer try 100" to see some improvement. But I dun give up one. :cool:

thanks I wil take note.

I've seen those colourful chocolate rice kind of thingy... Maybe adding them will make the muffins more colourful? :think: Just put a little on top will do... Just my personal suggestions... ;) but this picture surely made me felt hungry... ;p Maybe also include a beverage that goes well with it... milkshake? Tea? coffee? I dunno... I agree that the paper cups looks kinda dull... A cute and colourful paper cup will definitely attract kids more and I believe that they will love it too!

Paul_Yeo said:
muffin5.jpg

My wife made one for our cell group on Friday's night =)

im not sure how many pictures you take, but once you set up for the shoot... i really would try and take a lot of pics. try different uses of flash, different flash exposures, maybe even some shots without flash etc. im sure if you did, you will most likely find a better picture than the one you have here.

re the composition, that is a bit harder... i can only say... go dig up your wife's cookbooks and look at all the pictures there to see how they do it.

Paul_Yeo said:
I agreed that the flash is too strong. I dun like the white patches too :(

as you can see, I am a very slow learner... I think it will take to "Amatuer try 100" to see some improvement. But I dun give up one. :cool:

thanks I wil take note.

Hi Paul,

Best words, "But I don't give up one" :thumbsup:

I cannot comment on the muffin shot, but I would like to put this thought forward.....

A mechanic that works on car motors day in day out, can work on a truck motor, but it will take time to change the mind set.

By this I mean; I have looked at your web site and you obviously know photography.
It is just a different mindset doing food photography.

I like the idea jdredd mentioned to look at your wife's cook book (or any other for that matter) and see how "they" presented it.

Cheers :)

1) Distracting Highlights

2) Composition is VERY messy. Food shots need to be "clean", elegant.

3) Give your subject more space. Tight crops don't always work for food. Next time, leave more space around your food, but pls. do it creatively. You'll need to judge how to best give your subject "space"

4) Arrangement of choc chips must be improved, but its not the main issue here. But its usually the finer details that seperate the amateur from the pro.

5) Next time, try shooting about 3 cakes at most. The only time you show show more is if you're shooting the whole tray.....ie fresh out of the oven shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.