AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR - OFFICIAL

Wow $1605 is very good price.I am sure without GST. All the shops qoute me $1800 with CC or $1750 cash and carry.I do not know if inclusive GST.

A friend bought from Orient Photo cost is $1750.
And a friend inform me at SLR Revolution is $1605.

Damn $1605.. That is still cheaper then when I bought my 70-200mm F4 and that was a great lens and for it's quality/weight. But I still find this not as practical as I can think of what to do with this unless I am into birding and like shooting street scene from a long way off which is not my style.

For other use the 70-200mm is still great when I want to use it for macro. And great for travel as I save on weight.

But the 200-500mm is very price friendly for sure for it's quality/weight class. I expect it to cost at least $2k when it hit Singapore. At that price now and possibly dropping a bit more in a year, I just might buy this out of fun even if I will have less use for it over my trinity set of Nikkors.

This will be like a trinity+1 combo heh. But the new 300mm is also looking tempting still over the 200-500m in some ways.

Last edited:
Damn $1605.. That is still cheaper then when I bought my 70-200mm F4 and that was a great lens and for it's quality/weight. But I still find this not as practical as I can think of what to do with this unless I am into birding and like shooting street scene from a long way off which is not my style.

For other use the 70-200mm is still great when I want to use it for macro. And great for travel as I save on weight.

But the 200-500mm is very price friendly for sure for it's quality/weight class. I expect it to cost at least $2k when it hit Singapore. At that price now and possibly dropping a bit more in a year, I just might buy this out of fun even if I will have less use for it over my trinity set of Nikkors.

This will be like a trinity+1 combo heh. But the new 300mm is also looking tempting still over the 200-500m in some ways.

The 300/4 PF is a whole different league of lens quality. (I have both.) With almost similar costs, and the 300/4 being half the weight and many times smaller, its a tough one to beat. I do like the 200-500/5.6 for its reach and zooming ability. But if i have to pick one, the 300/4PF is a winner.

Shot this today with 200-500/5.6 handheld. Nikon's VR still beats the Sigma/Tamron VCs. (I also find it quieter)

Tiger Shrike (Lanius Tigrinus) by Elvin Tan, on Flickr

Malaysia is selling the lens at RM4,500 (cash), with the currency about 1:3, about SGD1,500, including 6% Malaysia GST.

Malaysia is selling the lens at RM4,500 (cash), with the currency about 1:3, about SGD1,500, including 6% Malaysia GST.
Good price

Just got my lens from my relative at Malaysia today.
I ordered this lens from the website that I shared previously, then ship it to my relative house.
Just done a few test shot indoor, this is my first lens that has new version of VR, the new VR is impressive!

1/15 @ 500mm, handheld.
$DSC_0580.jpg

There appears to be a service recall for this lens at http://photographylife.com/dont-be-a-guinea-pig

To users of the AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR lens

Thank you for choosing Nikon for your photographic needs.

Nikon will implement a service for updating AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR lens firmware. Details regarding implementation of this firmware service are as follows.

Firmware update details
We have confirmed that with autofocus shooting using the AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR lens, autofocus may sometimes become disabled and focus operation switches to manual focus* when the zoom ring on the lens is rotated while the camera’s shutter-release button is pressed halfway, or the camera’s AF-ON button is held down.

*Autofocus operation can be restored by pressing the camera’s shutter-release button halfway again, or pressing the camera’s AF-ON button again.

To address the occurrence of this, we will implement a service for updating AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR lens firmware.

Updating lens firmware
Those who would like to have their AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR firmware updated may take or send their lens to a Nikon authorised service center, where the firmware will be updated free of charge.

Identifying lenses with which the firmware has already been updated
Firmware in lenses with a serial number of 2008365 or higher have already been updated.

Requesting service
Please direct inquiries regarding this matter to your nearest Nikon Service Centre or create a Free Service Returns Request.

There appears to be a service recall for this lens at http://photographylife.com/dont-be-a-guinea-pig

I do admit to being a guinea pig. (My serial number is lower then 2008365)

I was just wondering, isn't that a correct behaviour ? (Manual focus over-ride when in AF mode.. Having to half press again to re-trigger the AF process)

They should allow demo sets to be tested by pros and so they can refine the product before launch..

I do admit to being a guinea pig. (My serial number is lower then 2008365)

I was just wondering, isn't that a correct behaviour ? (Manual focus over-ride when in AF mode.. Having to half press again to re-trigger the AF process)

Its happening when the ZOOM ring is turned

Its happening when the ZOOM ring is turned

Oh ! Sorry, misread it there !

I realise I never get the issue coz my lens stuck at 500mm.. lol.

They should allow demo sets to be tested by pros and so they can refine the product before launch..

Good reason to NEVER BUY NEW.... Like the 300pf, now this one.

If they have issues with the 24-70 they will have people leaving the brand in droves..... :/

rented the lens to test test. some test shots on birds around my place. all taken at f5.6, handheld.

- wide open is sharp for lens at this price range.
- the VR is really good. 1/160 - 1/250s for static subjects is achievable.
- AF is not as fast as i expect it to be... i find it pretty similar to tamron 150-600...

nikon afs 200-500 f5.6 lens test by Wei Kuan Tay, on Flickr

cheers & take care!
wk

rented the lens to test test. some test shots on birds around my place. all taken at f5.6, handheld.

- wide open is sharp for lens at this price range.
- the VR is really good. 1/160 - 1/250s for static subjects is achievable.
- AF is not as fast as i expect it to be... i find it pretty similar to tamron 150-600...

cheers & take care!
wk

Nice shots ! Great colors there !

Yeah, compared to the tamron/sigma 150-600, i find the nikon to be sharpest wide open, with the best VR.

AF wise, its on par.

The only disappointing thing is when paired with the tc14iii, I have to stop down quite a bit for anything usable. (The sigma 156s with TC performs better then the nikon 200-500 + tc14iii in this area)