Advise for Baby Phototaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I'm using the Sigma 30/1.4 mostly on my boy too... unless he's a bit further out of my reach like in the pool or something, I hardly use my 50 or 85. You can see them here, 99% taken with the 30.

Be careful of the baby seat in the second picture as the baby grows older. I heard that it could topple.

thanks i will take note of that.

Some lovely photos taken here , and some good advice given , one other small piece of advice is Babies are small and grownups are tall , get on the floor and crawl about with baby , you can get some amazing and very funny photos while your down there :)

If u don't mind manual focusing, u have many choices.

For AF, Sigma 30mm F1.4 HSM is ur best bet (IMHO). Don't use flash on babies.

Any chance you have an indication how much would the Sigma 30mm 1.4 HSM cost? :cool:

600 plus new.

Thanks. I should look out on 2nd hand then. I hv a 50mm 1.8 but on my D40x, it wasnt doing justice to the lens. MF on a toddler is simply too challenging. :p

When my son is still very young and I don't use flash on him. I shoot with Nikon 50 f1.8 (about $160 brand new). Later his is ok with flash, most lens are ok. Now I use Sigma 50 f2.8 Macro 1:1 (bought resale around $220) macro is good for close up when he is more stable and willing to cooperate (when his is older like 1yr +). But now that he is 2.5 yr old now, he is getting "rebellious" and just refuse to listen to my requests to keep still...:)

I started with a Canon A610 for the first kid.. and then a D70. Over the years "progressed" to a F31fd and now the majority of my shots are with my Nokia camera phone. Any camera in hand is better than none I guess..

Wow... thanks all for sharing....
Guess it comes part of our life on taking good baby photos ....

Anyway ... Merry Christmas and great time to 'shoot yr model' again....

I think D60 only support AF-S lens, feel free to correct me.. I am not a D60 user.
AF-S lens: 50mm f1.4G or 105mm F2.8 VR should be good. Personally using AFD 50mm f1.8 and AFS 105 F2.8VR, I need more time to learn the lenses sweet-spot, but so far happy with them.

Checked, D60 doesn't support AutoFocus on AFD or AF lens, so 50 mm only can use AFS 50mm f.14G with AutoFocus function

Status
Not open for further replies.