Adv of monopod

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmm, interesting....
maybe ill think of getting a 2nd hand monopod.. possible?
thx for the replies! :)

oh btw, why are all the monopods usually extendable only to about 1.5m?
wouldn't most ppl need to bend their head down constantly to take pictures? :(

if monopod height is around 1.5m, plus head and camera the viewfinder would be easily 1.65m to 1.7m, prolly eye level for alot of ang mo and slightly higher than eye level for alot of asian ... long monopod = more parts or longer parts, meaning weaker in strength and need more material to compensate = higher weight and cost

If happen to go trekking in SG or in other country like Nepal or Tibet. Due to uneven road then using Monopod is useful compare to tripod.

Monopod can use as a walking stick like old people does to balance yourself when trakking in Nepal. :bsmilie:

ohhh, i see. thanks for the detailed info eikin :)
i forgot to take the camera height into account :p

btw, im not using a DSLR, just a prosumer that weighs bout 750g... should i get 3, 4 or even 5 sections? would 5 sections be stable enough since its smaller(unextended) and my camera issnt too heavy?

Zaknafein said:
ohhh, i see. thanks for the detailed info eikin :)
i forgot to take the camera height into account :p

btw, im not using a DSLR, just a prosumer that weighs bout 750g... should i get 3, 4 or even 5 sections? would 5 sections be stable enough since its smaller(unextended) and my camera issnt too heavy?

do take into consideration if you're going to upgrade to DSLR in future

JL1500k said:
If happen to go trekking in SG or in other country like Nepal or Tibet. Due to uneven road then using Monopod is useful compare to tripod.

Monopod can use as a walking stick like old people does to balance yourself when trakking in Nepal. :bsmilie:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: not trying to say im very young lah, but would be quite a while before i need a walking stick ;)
where i really want to go, is turkey actually..... but, haii, money no enough :(
ops OT liao

Zaknafein said:
:bsmilie: :bsmilie: not trying to say im very young lah, but would be quite a while before i need a walking stick ;)
where i really want to go, is turkey actually..... but, haii, money no enough :(
ops OT liao

if you happen to pick up long distance trekking/hiking, it's really useful, irregardless of age ;)

Zaknafein said:
prosumer cam has 300mm??? wow, which model is it?

Zaknafein said:
hmmm, why do u say no use?
sometimes when use monopod, would need to tilt the monopod right? if no ballhead then how to aim? haha :sweat: btw, may i know what brand is ur monopod?
why not you just tilt the whole stick? so much faster..

+evenstar said:
why not you just tilt the whole stick? so much faster..
but if tilt the stick then would be shooting towards sky or ground mah :sweat:
for example, if i lean the monopod against something, the camera would be slanted right...

for stability? example, leaning the monopod against myself would provide more stability than just holding it right?

Most stable is the ground. (That's why heavy body and lenses helps).
:)

Zaknafein said:
for stability? example, leaning the monopod against myself would provide more stability than just holding it right?
my monopod leans against my body and i don't use a ballhead either.

seriously, you should go to a shop and try out how to use a monopod and how it works, instead of thinking of buying it just because you see others using it. monopods are most commonly used by sports photographers for their 300 2.8, 400 2.8, and bigger lenses, though some event photographers use it too

+evenstar said:
my monopod leans against my body and i don't use a ballhead either.

seriously, you should go to a shop and try out how to use a monopod and how it works, instead of thinking of buying it just because you see others using it. monopods are most commonly used by sports photographers for their 300 2.8, 400 2.8, and bigger lenses, though some event photographers use it too
yeah i haven get my hands on 1 and try out yet. still playing with the idea in my head, thats why i came here and asked around first.
reason why i want a monopod is cos my camera doesnt have a fast lens, its at F4.9 at tele, and i try not to bump up the ISO too much. often i cant take a nice shot due to shakes when i use telephoto, esp on cludy days :(

Zaknafein said:
my camera issnt too heavy tho
so most ppl use monopod without tripod heads actually?

i think you're getting confused. do visit a camera shop and get to know what tripods, monopods , ball heads, pan-tilt heads are physically.

monopods can be use on many ocassions, not just sports and events, nature shooters use them as well

Status
Not open for further replies.