Adv of monopod


Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaknafein

New Member
Oct 29, 2005
1,526
0
0
my room
www.flickr.com
#1
i have a tripod, but recently considering if i should get a monopod or not.
what are the adv of monopod besides being lighter than tripod?
what are the common uses of monopod and a rough guide to monopod prices?
 

zcwnfx

New Member
Jun 6, 2005
540
0
0
Potong Pasir
#2
i think monopod is an important tool for pple that shoot sports shots.

i think its more mobile, as you can move about faster and more effectively.

imagine u need to move about, and u have to lug about ur big tripod.
 

Zaknafein

New Member
Oct 29, 2005
1,526
0
0
my room
www.flickr.com
#3
okay thanks for the reply. besides that, any other adv?
would it be a good substitute for tripod if long telephoto shots are expected?
for example, at 300mm, would i be able to use shutter speed like 1/60?
 

Zaknafein

New Member
Oct 29, 2005
1,526
0
0
my room
www.flickr.com
#5
synapseman said:
When I go exploring ulu/deserted places, I bring along my monopod in case I need to scare off stray dogs with it. Good for self defence. Seriously.
:sweat: ermm, i might rather run lol monopod not cheap with head right?

btw can someone give me a rough estimation of monopods prices? all monopods doesnt comes with heads right?
 

Apr 14, 2004
301
0
16
#6
but if want to take sunset/sunrise will have abit difficult. :sweat:
 

zcwnfx

New Member
Jun 6, 2005
540
0
0
Potong Pasir
#7
Zaknafein said:
okay thanks for the reply. besides that, any other adv?
would it be a good substitute for tripod if long telephoto shots are expected?
for example, at 300mm, would i be able to use shutter speed like 1/60?
never try b4..... haa haa.... might be ok lah.
 

ken7644

New Member
Nov 30, 2003
46
0
0
#8
Or you can still bring your tripod and have just 1 leg down where fast actions abound, and all 3 legs down during slow shutter shots. Not as portable and slightly heavier than monopod, but more capabilities.
 

#9
Zaknafein said:
okay thanks for the reply. besides that, any other adv?
would it be a good substitute for tripod if long telephoto shots are expected?
for example, at 300mm, would i be able to use shutter speed like 1/60?
1/10s on my 300mm i also can with my $50 monopod
 

Zaknafein

New Member
Oct 29, 2005
1,526
0
0
my room
www.flickr.com
#11
ken7644 said:
Or you can still bring your tripod and have just 1 leg down where fast actions abound, and all 3 legs down during slow shutter shots. Not as portable and slightly heavier than monopod, but more capabilities.
the reason why i want a monopod is more portable mahh :sweat:
 

Zaknafein

New Member
Oct 29, 2005
1,526
0
0
my room
www.flickr.com
#12
JL1500k: wont be for sunrise/sunset shots. but i was thinking might be useful for events where space is limited and setting up tripod might be difficult u see....

+evenstar: does ur $50 include tripod head? 1/10 sounds good :) if cant run faster than the dog then climb tree loh :bsmilie:
 

#13
Zaknafein said:
i have a tripod, but recently considering if i should get a monopod or not.
what are the adv of monopod besides being lighter than tripod?
what are the common uses of monopod and a rough guide to monopod prices?
You probably have to evaluate what kind of shooting you are expecting to do with a pod
its most suited for sports work.
you can also use it in tight places where there are alot of people jampacked into an area.
however it is most useful if your cam and lens setup is heavy.
that kind of gives weight and stability to the whole thing.
if your lens is light enough to handhold, you will come to a point that you rather handhold the lens than deal with the hassle of a monopod.

personally i think a good simple test you can do or think about is this.
if you are out on the field and you are chaning positions and moving quickly, are you more incline to lift the setup (cam and lens) with one hand by holding on to the main grip of the camera body or are you more incline to do the bullk of carrying by the main body of the lens.
if it is the latter, you might/should consider a pod

hope that makes sense
 

gapman

New Member
May 27, 2006
472
0
0
#14
just about to post this question here, cuz i just bought one without even thinking what i'm gona use it for! haha!;) paid less than $20 for this solid 6 ft long(when fully extended) police's baton monopod in china 2 days ago. price was too good to resist! it's a good legal weapon to fend yourself in case of trouble! ;)
 

#15
Zaknafein said:
JL1500k: wont be for sunrise/sunset shots. but i was thinking might be useful for events where space is limited and setting up tripod might be difficult u see....

+evenstar: does ur $50 include tripod head? 1/10 sounds good :) if cant run faster than the dog then climb tree loh :bsmilie:
i have never mounted a ballhead on my monopod before. no use for a ballhead on monopod
 

Zaknafein

New Member
Oct 29, 2005
1,526
0
0
my room
www.flickr.com
#16
hmmm, why do u say no use?
sometimes when use monopod, would need to tilt the monopod right? if no ballhead then how to aim? haha :sweat: btw, may i know what brand is ur monopod?
 

#17
Zaknafein said:
hmmm, why do u say no use?
sometimes when use monopod, would need to tilt the monopod right? if no ballhead then how to aim? haha :sweat: btw, may i know what brand is ur monopod?
I bought one Manfrotto 860B 4-Sections monopod for A$90 recently. I put it in a bucket with 2 bags of 6 kilos sand and cement in it. It works like a studio stand and as steady as any tripod. I could expose for 30 seconds with it. :bsmilie:

You do need a ball head for tilting or if you want to hold the monopod horizontally.....
 

#19
Zaknafein said:
!! why did u cement ur monopod lol? why dun just get a tripod? :bsmilie:
what do u mean by holding monopod horizontally
I've a Manfrotto tripod. It takes too much space indoor and trips the feet.

Haha.... just lift the monopod with the camera on it and tilt the whole thing.

I put a Manfrotto 486 ball head on my monopod. It can't be carried around any more weighting 12 kilos. For all my shoots I only need to slide it left, right, forward and backwards a few inches.

There is a cheaper one Manfrotto 486C monopod with 3 sections for A$79.
 

smtan24

New Member
Dec 21, 2005
1,496
0
0
45
Tampines
#20
I own a monopod Benro MP-91. It has an option for you set 3 legs under it. No were as stable as a tripod but better than a regular monopod.

 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom