About bounce flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

revenant

Apr 8, 2002
collinyeo.blogspot.com
Then some kind soul can tell me about bounce flash? Like they say bounce off the ceiling, off here off there etc. What does that actually means? Point the external flash to the ceiling?

Yup. Or wall. Add an optional bounce card to the flash head to reflect some light back to the subject to fill in shadows and produce a catch-light on the subject's eyes.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by revenant
Then some kind soul can tell me about bounce flash? Like they say bounce off the ceiling, off here off there etc. What does that actually means? Point the external flash to the ceiling?

It is really pointing the flash toward the wall or celling,

maybe you can try this few thread first:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6416&highlight=bounce+flash
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4447&highlight=flash+sync

If you do a search you may find more :p

Originally posted by ckiang
Yup. Or wall. Add an optional bounce card to the flash head to reflect some light back to the subject to fill in shadows and produce a catch-light on the subject's eyes.

Regards
CK

thanks, any pictures of bounce card?

thanks, any pictures of bounce card?

flashlite_side_01.jpg

ok thanx :)
No problem, but theory is still theory. When come to the real thing, you will face other problems. I just manage to borrow a speed light and using the defuser, the pocket bouncer, bounce here and there still sometime got a nasty and strong shadows fall on the wall :dunno: . Need lots of practices.

I still don't know when to use what :dunno: Anyway below is what I gather after using the flash. Most likely is not correct, but hope some expert can correct me.

When to use a defuser?
Indoor, with ceiling to bounce the flash.

When to use direct flash?
Almost neve, unless when object is quite a distance and there is nothing behind it to case a shadow. (note even a wall at 2m behind the object also can have the object's shadow)

When to use bounce card?
Both indoor and outdoor, combine with ceiling bounce. for Outdoor, turn the flash head to 90 degree and the bounce card at 45 degree

When to use the ProMax Pocket Bouncer
When there is no ceiling to bounce. best for outdoor.

I also note that I can't take picture from low angle (shoot upward) when using flash, will cast a shadow on wall and even ceiling. Don't know how to solve this problem. BTW I'm using Matrix TTL mode on both camera and flash.

Sorry revenant, borrowed your thread :D

Originally posted by Trevor_Tan

Sorry revenant, borrowed your thread :D

No problem, I can learn at the same time too.

Anyway, what's a defuser?

Also, is it possible to make a bounce card with cardboard?

No problem, I can learn at the same time too.

Anyway, what's a defuser?

Also, is it possible to make a bounce card with cardboard?
think what he means by defuser is the Omni-Bounce, the white plastic cap that fits on top of the flash unit.

as for making a bounce card, that's what most people do actually. all you need is a nice stiff white cardboard or plastic card and a rubber band. or if you don't want to fiddle around with a rubber band, can use a velcro strap, but have to live with the velcro on the flash. :D

Originally posted by firefox13
think what he means by defuser is the Omni-Bounce, the white plastic cap that fits on top of the flash unit.

as for making a bounce card, that's what most people do actually. all you need is a nice stiff white cardboard or plastic card and a rubber band. or if you don't want to fiddle around with a rubber band, can use a velcro strap, but have to live with the velcro on the flash. :D

Thanks for helping me answer the questions. Isn't defuser = Omni Bounce? Or I use the wrong term?

Thanks for helping me answer the questions. Isn't defuser = Omni Bounce? Or I use the wrong term?

diffuser, yes correct they are the same thing :)

OT, but I realised something very interesting. The word "diffuser" was originally misspelled as "defuser" and everyone followed suit.... ;p

Regards
CK

haha! you created a new photography term! ;p

OT, but I realised something very interesting. The word "diffuser" was originally misspelled as "defuser" and everyone followed suit.... ;p

Regards
CK

Sorry, my fault :D
Me very poor in spelling, writing and talking. Hence I choose my hobby as photography and hopefully a job as a programmer ;)

i think in official lingo it refers to the phenomenon known as "Monkey See Monkey Do" :bsmilie:

Sorry, my fault :D
Me very poor in spelling, writing and talking. Hence I choose my hobby as photography and hopefully a job as a programmer ;)

That's okay, but it's interesting to see others following suit. ;p

Regards
CK

Regards
CK

i was abt to post this too when i am reading....i tot defuser only use in counterstrike by counter-terroist??

Originally posted by firefox13

Generally, how big should a bounce card be? Does it have to be perfectly white?

Originally posted by DanielG

Generally, how big should a bounce card be? Does it have to be perfectly white?

someone, I think roygoh, suggested using crumpled aluminium sheet which works better than most white surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.