A77 advantage in Macro

tchuanye

Staff member
Mar 4, 2003
Visit site
Just bought the A77 last Sat, and have been trying out macro with 100mm+Raynox 250.

I think some have shared the advantages of A77 shooting macro before. I have been shooting the A550 before and there are some differences in the settings.
I now shoot in M mode for A77 as the default shutter speed for A mode @ F16 is 1/60s. Abit too slow. I use settings that were on my A550 before: ISO 400, F16, 1/125s, and using 2 diffused flash, MF all handheld.

+ points in A77 for Macro
- Focus peaking is really useful: Only appears for subjects with contrast, but really helps in telling me where I am currently focusing.
- Articulation of screen: Coming from the A550, the additional tilt/turn axis really does help for odd angles.
- Burst: First time trying this, but I think burst may help in getting different DOF planes fast for later stacking. Yet to try.

-ve points compared to A550
-Can feel the weight. So need to get used to the slightly heavier camera.
-Articulation of screen: Coming from A550, adjusting the LCD to shoot at eye-level and then switching to waist level requires me to tilt the screen down and rotate to face upwards. For A550, it is just a flip up. But I think it is a matter of getting used to it.

Here are some taken today. No CS5 with me, so used picassa 3 to edit.

#1: Spider Wasp
Wasp-on-Spider-00985-L.jpg

#2:
Wasp-on-Spider-01055-XL.jpg

#3:
Mine-01017-L.jpg

#4: And a Scorpion Spider
Scorpion-Tailed-Spider-01092-L.jpg

Nice depth and lighting. Just curious to know whether these are crops and, if so, how heavily . . .

I know exactly what you mean about having to rotate the LCD. I always start to push it in the wrong direction at first, especially when I'm in a hurry. ;p But beyond waist-level shooting, its versatility has gotten me shots from all sorts of odd angles and perspectives.

I always use the flash at 1/250 in M mode to minimize any risk of shake. The little nuclear warhead that sits atop the 77, cleverly made to look like a pop-up flash, is capable of lighting a subject at even the smallest apertures within a working distance of 30cm, maybe farther. I use spot metering and usually dial back the EV on the flash a bit.

Thanks for sharing. Seeing your shots gives me some ideas on how I might be able to improve mine. :)

The crops are not much for #1, #3, #4, say about 80% of original? For #2 it was landscape, so maybe 60% of original.

Ya, about the versatility of the screen! That is why it is a + as well as a - for me.....but have to get used to it.

I use the 58 flash with diffuser on the A77 and shoot in manual mode...adjust power to the situation. My working distance is usually 10cm, so have to use flash else the onboard flash will cast a shadow. The other flash is handheld, and I adjust its direction accordingly to even out the lighting. I usually don't bother about the metering since I like the A and S settings.