A6000

No problem. I have grappled with such issues too. Don't forget with f1.8 u might be able to use lower iso but u will have shallow dof. Sometimes tripod or flash is the only way.

Very true. Need to aim properly or else you may focus more on the nose rather than the eyes.

Does anybody know how to turn on the eye detect function? I can't seem to find it anywhere!

Does anybody know how to turn on the eye detect function? I can't seem to find it anywhere!

Should be under customs settings -> FINDER/MONITOR.

You need to define one of the custom buttons to eye detect, the function is then activated by the custom button and NOT the shutter release.

Hi A6000 users,

I just bought a set yesterday. :)

May I know what tripod would you recommend for this camera?
I am looking for something sturdy yet not so bulky to carry around.

Thanks! :)

Hi A6000 users,

Sirui traveller series tripod

Hi A6000 users,

I am using the following with my A6000:
1. sirui T-025
2. Manfrotto MKC3-H01

The Sirui is light and sturdy due to its carbon fibre body. Only issue is that the fully extended height is slightly lower than my eye height.
The Manfrotto one is Aluminium frame, so it is might not be as sturdy, but it has a good height. The pistol grip makes it excellent for Panning and videos

if weight is an issue, might want to consider a gorillapod

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Thanks for the recommendations. Any online portal where I can get this Sirui tripod, preferably with delivery? Otherwise, I think need to make trip down to town to get it.

By the way, I have been playing with the camera today. I have got the 1650 kit lens. the portrait shots are a bit too soft for my liking. It is due to the lens/setting itself?

http://www.tkfoto.com.sg/
https://www.facebook.com/tkfoto

don't think they do delivery. You might want to call and check. I do think its best u drop by the shop and look at those tripod.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the recommendations. Any online portal where I can get this Sirui tripod, preferably with delivery? Otherwise, I think need to make trip down to town to get it.

By the way, I have been playing with the camera today. I have got the 1650 kit lens. the portrait shots are a bit too soft for my liking. It is due to the lens/setting itself?

Hi guys,

what do you mean "soft"? what iso/ aperture/ shutter speed settings did u use?

what do you mean "soft"? what iso/ aperture/ shutter speed settings did u use?

Hi hawthorne

I was expecting it to be sharper. i was using the largest aperture in the A mode shooting btw 30-50mm. Outdoor picts tend to do better than indoors, perhaps due to the faster shutter speed.

Hi hawthorne

I was expecting it to be sharper. i was using the largest aperture in the A mode shooting btw 30-50mm. Outdoor picts tend to do better than indoors, perhaps due to the faster shutter speed.

Probably should bump up ISO to 800-1600 indoors. Aperture anywhere between f4-5.6 at yr 30-50mm range should probably give you sharp pics.

I hv used the 16-50 (though Not frequently) and I find it good enough for walkaround shoots.

Hi hawthorne

non sharp images at large aperture could be due to incorrect focusing. try using center focus. focus on your subject then recompose

I do believe you're expecting too much from a kit lens for portraiture :)For walkabouts maybe it's still useable but for proper portraits, this isn't the lens for it.
Yes, it is soft because it's a kit lens after all. i would not personally use it for portraits. The best way to focus is alwasy to use spot focus and move the square exactly to where you want it focused..The recompose method does have it's flaws especially at large aperture...he distance when you focus is not the same after recomposing..the focus will be off slightly...and this is evident at large apertures where the DOF is so thin

I do believe you're expecting too much from a kit lens for portraiture :)For walkabouts maybe it's still useable but for proper portraits, this isn't the lens for it.
Yes, it is soft because it's a kit lens after all. i would not personally use it for portraits.

While u are at it, go and buy the SEL50F18. This is a fantastic lens for its price and is great for portraits

The recompose method does have it's flaws especially at large aperture...he distance when you focus is not the same after recomposing..the focus will be off slightly...and this is evident at large apertures where the DOF is so thin

oic, that's what the spot focus is for. I have always thought that spot focus is redundant since we can recompose.

Last edited:
I agree on SEL50F18. Great value and super sharp lens.

OT, I am looking for a selfie stick for the A6000. The current selfie sticks in the market seems to be designed for HP only. Anyone knows of a selfie stick that is good for A6000?

Am thinking of getting a regular monopod and act as a selfie stick, but I am looking for a lighter and less bulky alternative