A two frames question.

Sion

Hi, I am a newbie here.

Whenever I set my camera EOS 550D on self-time with an off-camera flash and wireless trigger the camera always gives two frames. One with the exposure I have set and another severely a under-exposed frame. Why like that one?

I know the old birds here like to tell newbies like me to go to google to find an answer. But if google can solve the world's problems we don't need to have United Nation, Dalai Lama, fortune tellers, ladyboys, street walkers etc.

:bsmilie:

Your profile info Join Date: Jan 2004 doesn't match your claim as newbie, ;p

Hi, I am a newbie here.

Whenever I set my camera EOS 550D on self-time with an off-camera flash and wireless trigger the camera always gives two frames. One with the exposure I have set and another severely a under-exposed frame. Why like that one?

I know the old birds here like to tell newbies like me to go to google to find an answer. But if google can solve the world's problems we don't need to have United Nation, Dalai Lama, fortune tellers, ladyboys, street walkers etc.

Hi, I am a newbie here.

What self-timer settings are you using? E.g. You could have it set to take 2 shots. Try doing the self-timer with the exact same settings, but without the flash and trigger. Does it now take 1 frame or still 2 frames?

That would explain why two frames are trigger. If that is the case, then the first shot receives the proper exposure from the flash, while the second shot likely occurs too quickly before the flash has recycled sufficiently, so it is under-exposed, especially if your flash settings are high. One possible explanation that comes to mind.

What self-timer settings are you using? E.g. You could have it set to take 2 shots. Try doing the self-timer with the exact same settings, but without the flash and trigger. Does it now take 1 frame or still 2 frames?

That would explain why two frames are trigger. If that is the case, then the first shot receives the proper exposure from the flash, while the second shot likely occurs too quickly before the flash has recycled sufficiently, so it is under-exposed, especially if your flash settings are high. One possible explanation that comes to mind.

Thanks for the help.

I went to read the camera instruction book. I owned a 400D and presumed that 550D worked the same in self-timer function.

It has 3 functions: A:10 sec, B:2 sec and C:10 sec plus continuous shots from 2-10 frames. I should set the self-time to A instead of C.

I guess another thing an old bird can tell a newbie is: Read instruction book thoroughly. :)

Just combine two shots...hdr. No more problem.