A quiet moment in time

Status
Not open for further replies.

relaxxjaxx

Jun 1, 2007
Bukit Timah
2170827070_0e07003132.jpg

Well took this photo along Changi Board walk with a 12-24mm @ 1/800, F4. It was a really quiet morning with no sound except the water against the beach and it seemed like the perfect moment to capture the mood, hence this shot. Well the photo's "distorted" due to the lens which has the nice effect to "drag" the sky at the edges.

So C&C welcomed on the composition/or any way this could have been improved - as this is my 2nd photo being posted here for critique. (PP was done to add in minor vignetting..for fun) :)

Hi,

Nice and quiet. The horizon is slanted though. How did the piece of log stand up like that in the middle of the beach? You planted it there, didn't you?

Rgds,

Vignetting was added in on purpose to help draw attention to the middle... looks like it backfired.. haha.

And no I didn't place the log there. It was already there when I got there ;p

a beautiful scene, with much potential

a pity that there is so much distortion and tilt. tilt can work sometimes, but when it is not done sufficiently, as someone once told me, it looks like a mistake and i have to agree ever since.

i'm sure something can be done to recover the cloud details further - they look impressive , try the shadow/highlight tool if you have photoshop.. recover the highlights. if not, perhaps next time can use gnd or hdr to bring them out.

and yar, the vignetting does not work

nice. but look out for...
1) as highlighted by others, the horizon is slanted. plus after u straighten it, the horizon will be on the mid or close to halfing the photos (the rule of third). So either lower or raise the horizon a bit more. in your case, I think having more of the sky will be nicer.

2) The hut at the back have weird perspective...are you using a wide lens? maybe a couple steps to the left of the log will place the hut closer to the center and behind the log, thus creating an additional layer to the picture.

3) Color contrast can be stronger.

That's all for my pov. =)

composition :

suggest clone away the boat on the right of the trunk.
horizon slanted.

color and contrast :

overall too muted.
sky can be more dramatic.

Just some suggestions...

Lose the vignetting
Clone away the boats
Convert to B/W or Duotone
Play with layer blend or curves to bring out the details of the clouds
Add a white borber

Thanks all... try later and repost =)

Appreciate the comments

An eyesore, neither here nor there, ie either your picture is about the dead tree trunk with the interesting textures or the shelter, the sea and the boats. Right now its neither, and they are not complementing but interfering with each other.

In other words either the dead tree trunk is used as a framing and leading element for the main subject which is the beach/boat scene - by changing your position, angle, perspective etc - or it is the main subject and rest are mere context for it and preferable out of focus too. And I don't think you make this a picture via PP but it needs to recompose/reshoot altogether.

Do you not see it this way too or what was your compositional intent in these elements you have included in the photo that obviously I do not see?

the tree trunk sticking out like that is more of a distraction than an added item of interest in the foreground. another angle without the tree trunk would help.

Just some suggestions...

Lose the vignetting
Clone away the boats
Add a white borber

I agree with Bro Melvin on what he pointed out. The idea of the scene is nice though. The vignetting kinda backfired, there seems to be some shadow on the bottom left corner of the picture, i would suggest getting rid of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.