A newbie's fear

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndroo-

Deregistered
Nov 6, 2003
Singapore
Gonna put my savings into either a 5050/5060 ... but ...

From what i read on the web, the 5050 is slowly fading away. Discontinued. What do you experts think? Worth getting it now? Or shoud I get the 5060?

I know from some of the answes on this forum ... but the AA battery & the f/1.8 are the factors makin me still considering 5050 .. and yes the filter thread.

What I wanna know is ... since the price diff is so little and i get the 5050 ... will it be worth it?

Please help ... probably getting it this weekend. :)

what makes you want to get the 5050? list down the factors and maybe someone can recommend you something else which cost cheaper (and uses cheaper memory cards).

well the fact that "AA battery & the f/1.8 " i mentioned in my post ... is so far some of my concern. or shoud i not even bother about them? :D let me know :D

ndroo said:
Gonna put my savings into either a 5050/5060 ... but ...

From what i read on the web, the 5050 is slowly fading away. Discontinued. What do you experts think? Worth getting it now? Or shoud I get the 5060?

I know from some of the answes on this forum ... but the AA battery & the f/1.8 are the factors makin me still considering 5050 .. and yes the filter thread.

What I wanna know is ... since the price diff is so little and i get the 5050 ... will it be worth it?

Please help ... probably getting it this weekend. :)

First of all, the use of the word "expert" will make some think twice about posting. Most of us are here to share our views, the use of the word puts unneccessary pressure :embrass:

What is your shooting patterns?

How do you think the AA battery and f/1.8 is going to benefit you?
What sort of shooting do you do that you'll need this features?

Don't get me wrong, I am not questioning your needs of this,
but you need to answer those questions to yourself and perhaps you'll see if those are important enough factors (for you)

For me AA battery is important because I use my camera in outdoor environment and could easily run into situation where I don't have power for a few days. Being able to use AA akaline hence give additional opportunity to shoot. Note that AA akaline probably will only make sense on cameras that have pretty long battery life to start with, as these camera are likely to have low power drains. High drain cameras kills AA akaline quickly, so you can't use them. Likely candidates are A70 and C5050, don't bother about AA akalines in the D7x series. Also I have numerous other devices that uses AA, so that means I can share battery/charger. And AA NiMH battery has been improving significantly so that upgrading of battery is easy.

Do you notice that all this actually points to 1 requirement? The need for extended battery life. If you tend to do day shoots and is able to charge in the night, this is not a really big issue. So, you have to consider whether a similar requirement exist for you.

thanks for your questions ... they somehow answered my questions :D thanks man.

frisky said:
First of all, the use of the word "expert" will make some think twice about posting. Most of us are here to share our views, the use of the word puts unneccessary pressure :embrass:

What is your shooting patterns?

How do you think the AA battery and f/1.8 is going to benefit you?
What sort of shooting do you do that you'll need this features?

Don't get me wrong, I am not questioning your needs of this,
but you need to answer those questions to yourself and perhaps you'll see if those are important enough factors (for you)

For me AA battery is important because I use my camera in outdoor environment and could easily run into situation where I don't have power for a few days. Being able to use AA akaline hence give additional opportunity to shoot. Note that AA akaline probably will only make sense on cameras that have pretty long battery life to start with, as these camera are likely to have low power drains. High drain cameras kills AA akaline quickly, so you can't use them. Likely candidates are A70 and C5050, don't bother about AA akalines in the D7x series. Also I have numerous other devices that uses AA, so that means I can share battery/charger. And AA NiMH battery has been improving significantly so that upgrading of battery is easy.

Do you notice that all this actually points to 1 requirement? The need for extended battery life. If you tend to do day shoots and is able to charge in the night, this is not a really big issue. So, you have to consider whether a similar requirement exist for you.

hi frisky,

thanks for your detail info. actually i m very very very new to these stuff. i wanna get a 'reasonable' camera go learn. all these while i use a dsc-p1 only (sold recently at dirt cheap price) :D so now i wanna get a more complicated (to me) one to learn.

well as for AA batteries, same reason as u do. i want longer battery life and also not to get stuck when my batteries go dead (yeah get any AA to replace em anywhere).

one question, if i were to (in emergency) get eg those duracell AA batteries n shove em in .... how long will it last?

as for my 'shooting needs' ... as i said i m new ... n dun have any particular need :D what do u suggest? i m considering C5050, apart from the AA batts, is the price. i was tempted 2 look at minolta A1 but the few hundred bux do mean a diff 2 me. i could get a 512MB CF, prob a filter or 2 wif it :D

maybe u can help shed some light into whether i m making a rite decision.

also i like takin pics indoor, so do u suggest i get a flash too? if yes, wat models are compatible? price?

thanks in anticipation

hi all, nevermind my earlier question ... decided 2 go 4 the Minolta A1 (finally) ... they have a pretty hard 2 resist promo now. thanks a lot for the help. cheers.

Have fun with your new camera. :)

Just want to add on something short about battery life--some cameras have "recommended" requirements of using NiMH rechargables. Rechargable NiMH batteries usually have a lower voltage rating (1.2V per cell) compared to Alkaline batteries (1.5V per cell). Although most cameras a pretty tolerant on the slight 0.3V difference, do check through your manual if there are any restrictions.

Also, cameras that recommend using NiMH batteries may run longer using NiMH rechargables than using Alkalines, although quite counter-intuitively, probably because the discharge characteristics between the two types of batteries are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.