A good n powerful Digicam for Beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Tweek

read up and ask questions. :) If possible, get a 2nd hand film SLR (which can be as cheap as $200) and practise and experiment. If not, you may plunge straight for a good digital camera with manual controls, and practise with that instead, just that if you finally decide the hobby is not for you, the depreciation of the camera may cause some heart pain. ;)

a clubsnapper "darkness" (also my colleague) also started off knowing nothing, but he read up about photography in 2 months more than I ever read about it in my lifetime, and he learnt very fast. Of course, he was very keen to try out and experiment too.

but I think investing in a digital cam is a better choice (for me) as
1) You can see the results nearly immediately
2) you can test the settings in manual mode and see the results immediately
3) You do not have to spend too much on film development (esp on mistakes)
4) EVF would be useful if the user wants to have a good feel of how a SLF feels like.

my personal 2 cents worth.

Since my name is mentioned by Tweek, think I should come in and say a few words right??? :D

Ahem, actually when I was considering a new camera, Tweek already mentioned to me abt the lenses and filters, which I immediately responded that I would never play with those things (that was like 2 mths ago?). At that time, all I wanted was something that could capture the different moments in my life, not so much of a artistic pursuit.

As time goes by, I found less and less meaning in just snapping away mindlessly, so started borrowing books on composition, etc. to read, and that's when I realise that I was limited by my equipment (a Canon Powershot S30, which does not have lens adapter or hotshoe). Took a trip to Bidadari Cemetery with Tweek once and found that SLRs are in a completely different game as the digicam that I have. I used to think that they were all just some picture capturing device.

I wanted to upgrade my equipment and thus I went on a hunt for various cameras. I think I must have drove Tweek nuts at that time (I think I must have asked a million questions). The thread that I started on my camera hunt is here . I considered SO many cameras that I almost went crazy myself as there were too many pros and cons of each of them. As someone mentioned in this thread, "there's no camera that can do everything". You must know what you want. Also, as another mentioned (sorry, I forgot who!), ultimately, it's your technique that counts, not the equipment. Equipment limitation (deep DOF on digicams, compared to SLR, for e.g.) can be compensated for (choosing a less distracting background, etc.)

IMHO, stop chasing equipment and start your improving technique. ;) I wanted so much to buy the F717 that time, but when I realised that that $600 difference between the F717 and a 2nd hand S602Z can only make that little difference if the technique is not there, I decided to pick up Tweek's S602Z and use the money I save on other accessories.

And I think if you feel that your technique has reached a certain level, you *would* want to move on to SLR. An EVF is nothing once you look thru a REAL optical viewfinder of the SLR... :devil:

Originally posted by Yvisg

Thanks for ur suggestion. May i know how should i begin to learn more abt camera n photography. i luv to take nice n beautiful pics but i hv no knowledge at all. thanks.

I would suggest u go to library to read up. Also if you can, u shld join SEED today. I am sure the pple over there are more than willing to let you try out their cams and explain to you some of the photographic terms. Check if the features are too over-whelming for you. Good luck! :)

Originally posted by imaginary_number

Actually, forking out $600 bucks to upgrade could possibly be more well-spent on accessories for my 602z :)

I have a slightly different view on this. If you are unhappy abt the max focal length of 602z, then spending the $ on tele might help. If you are unhappy abt the built in flash, then u can invest in an external flash. if you are unhappy abt the minimum focusing distance, stacking some close-up filters might help. But if you are unhappy abt the image quality and the clarity of your subjects, then I seriously dun think spending the $$ on accessories will help. Getting a tele/filters, etc will degrade the quality further. ;)

Originally posted by Falcon

I would suggest u go to library to read up. Also if you can, u shld join SEED today.

Where is SEED?

I have a slightly different view on this. If you are unhappy abt the max focal length of 602z, then spending the $ on tele might help. If you are unhappy abt the built in flash, then u can invest in an external flash. if you are unhappy abt the minimum focusing distance, stacking some close-up filters might help. But if you are unhappy abt the image quality and the clarity of your subjects, then I seriously dun think spending the $$ on accessories will help. Getting a tele/filters, etc will degrade the quality further. ;)

I'm wouldn't say that I'm unhappy with the image quality of the 602Z. As a matter of fact, I think it's pretty good.

Let me put it this way : I'm impressed by the image quality of the 717. And of course, choosing this camera will also mean having to accept its cons (e.g. the costly max 128mb MS).

I do agree that buying accessories is definitely not a substitute for upgrading as well. Just that if I choose not to upgrade, then the $ could be more well-spent on accessories for me to play around with.

Hope I've clarified my stand on this ;)

I'm wouldn't say that I'm unhappy with the image quality of the 602Z. As a matter of fact, I think it's pretty good.

Let me put it this way : I'm impressed by the image quality of the 717. And of course, choosing this camera will also mean having to accept its cons (e.g. the costly max 128mb MS).

I do agree that buying accessories is definitely not a substitute for upgrading as well. Just that if I choose not to upgrade, then the $ could be more well-spent on accessories for me to play around with.

Hope I've clarified my stand on this ;)

Agree. Hope that you can now enjoy your cam more after overcoming the temptation. :D

can someone tell me whether the Nikon 885 is good or nt?? or shld i go for Minolta S304 or Sony DSC-S75

Darkness has really express the feeling of most of us in here. Start off with a toy, thinking of just taking some nice moments. After a while, realised that your toy is....just a toy, and wanted to go for more. :(

But getting a real digital SLR is really a dream for most of us, thinking about spending a few thousands just for a uselss metal body, unless you spend more for the lenses :( A nice but...painful experience ;(

I start off with a JVC GC-X3, after a few thousand shots, upgrade to a Olympus E-10P (I can't afford even a E-20P :cry: ). Real happy with it, but was still drooling at anyone who owns a D60....

*togu glares at megaweb

Hoho, guess photography is really something which you learn how to manage your $$$ well.

Heh, and the reason that I bought a E10 is for it's full metal body feel and the EVF. Guess that's the nearest I can get close to a real digital slr, till I can afford one.

:bheart:

Agree. Hope that you can now enjoy your cam more after overcoming the temptation. :D

Haha... hopefully; I think I'm easily tempted at times :embrass:

Originally posted by dinomax
can someone tell me whether the Nikon 885 is good or nt?? or shld i go for Minolta S304 or Sony DSC-S75

It depends on what your "good" refers to.

What I term as "good" might not be good to others and vice versa.

I would advise you to do more reading up first and deciding on a cam which you yourself would consider "good".

Read up more abt the cams:
www.dpreview.com
www.dcresource.com

Learn more abt photography:
www.shortcourses.com

How about considering getting a Canon G1? Old but a good set to start off with. You can add some nice filters, conversion lenses, external flashes, and tilt the LCD at differenct angles. Support compact flash (Definitely a cheaper deal then memory stick). :D

And since it's near to 2 years old, you might be able to get a good price for it. :cool:

It depends on what your "good" refers to.

What I term as "good" might not be good to others and vice versa.

I would advise you to do more reading up first and deciding on a cam which you yourself would consider "good".

Read up more abt the cams:
www.dpreview.com
www.dcresource.com

Learn more abt photography:
www.shortcourses.com

I did read up. But of cos, as a newbie, there would be terms which i dun understand. That is why i need personal experience from u guys! :embrass:

Originally posted by togu

How about considering getting a Canon G1? Old but a good set to start off with. You can add some nice filters, conversion lenses, external flashes, and tilt the LCD at differenct angles. Support compact flash (Definitely a cheaper deal then memory stick). :D

And since it's near to 2 years old, you might be able to get a good price for it. :cool:

u mean G1 is still around? stock still lying in shops? or u mean 2nd hand??

u mean G1 is still around? stock still lying in shops? or u mean 2nd hand??

You should still be able to get a fresh stock of it. Hrm, even a 2nd hand will be good, if the price is right, and in good condition.

Paying a little but get back lots in return, why not? :cool:

You should still be able to get a fresh stock of it. Hrm, even a 2nd hand will be good, if the price is right, and in good condition.

Paying a little but get back lots in return, why not? :cool:

do u know how much it cost now??? hmm.. AP n CP won't have it rite?

do u know how much it cost now??? hmm.. AP n CP won't have it rite?

Er... not too sure about it, I can help you to check out the price, since I'm working at Peninsula Plaza.

If you are thinking of getting a 2nd hand copy, in good working conditions, how about sending a message to CameraKit, i think he's thinking of selling his G1.

:rolleyes:

Er... not too sure about it, I can help you to check out the price, since I'm working at Peninsula Plaza.

If you are thinking of getting a 2nd hand copy, in good working conditions, how about sending a message to CameraKit, i think he's thinking of selling his G1.

:rolleyes:

Could u help me check the price for Nikon 4300, Sony DSC-S75 and Minolta S304? ;p

hehehe.. Hope its not too troublesome for u.

Thanks a lot in advance. :)

lol, you should logged on to Courts, or Harvey Normans website then. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.