A good flashlight on budget?

Headshotzx

Dec 14, 2007
Punggol
Hey guys! Got a camp and an overseas trip coming up soon, and I need to get a good flashlight.

Hopefully it can fulfill the following:

~S$50 new
LED
Probably 30 lumens and above
At least 10 hours usage per fresh batteries
Weatherproof (accidental splash of water, rain etc)

Batteries are easily bought, perhaps AA/AAA/CR123 or something.

Possible to have these features for the price?

Hey guys! Got a camp and an overseas trip coming up soon, and I need to get a good flashlight.

Hopefully it can fulfill the following:

~S$50 new
LED
Probably 30 lumens and above
At least 10 hours usage per fresh batteries
Weatherproof (accidental splash of water, rain etc)

Batteries are easily bought, perhaps AA/AAA/CR123 or something.

Possible to have these features for the price?

Bright torchlights don't last long and long lasting torchlights aren't very bright. So you'll have to compromise somewhere.

Look for a decent LED torch which is able to switch between modes. I have one which allows choices of full 100%, 50%, 15%, short quick flashing and long flash every few seconds. It runs on a single AA and is one of my must have in my pouch. :)

Ohh I was thinking that 30 lumens and 10 hours is pretty mediocre already? You mean that it's still quite extreme? :sweat:

Any place in Singapore where I can check them out, or at least have decent pricing instead of places like HomeFIX or what not that jack up prices high?

Was looking at the maglites and pelicans...

Normally I would suggest you go and take a look at DX website. But recently, they are having problem mailing out their items in time during the Xmas season rush. The best I could suggest, are those overly $$$ torch from DIY Shop. Goodluck on your hunt. :bsmilie:

Fenix .. if u can find it in Singapore.
They use either cree or nichia bulbs

Suggest you look at dealextreme as a starting point. They do sell a lot of cree flashlights.

Check out that 3rd storey shop at Sim Lim Sq, selling quite a lot of cameras and LED MR16 spots, 3W/10W panels, torchlights etc. Approx $20-30 can getdecent one already. Think got some good stuff like luxeon 3W etc.... When you get off the escalator, turn left and you see Hung Bros selling the headphones, then continue walking and you will see the shop.

I'd advise against torches powered by CR-123. They are bright, yes. But very power hungry and the batts drain fast. Finding a replacement might be difficult and/or expensive.

I find Mustafa centre has a good selection of inexpensive and good LED torches.

I personally use an LED LENSER P14 torch. Very bright, very good quality and the batts can tahan quite long in them (4x AA)

Ohh I was thinking that 30 lumens and 10 hours is pretty mediocre already? You mean that it's still quite extreme? :sweat:

Any place in Singapore where I can check them out, or at least have decent pricing instead of places like HomeFIX or what not that jack up prices high?

Was looking at the maglites and pelicans...

Just look at the specs on this : Fenix LD10

You'll get a rough idea on the approx run times for the brightness against runtime. 50 lumens at abt 6 hrs (estimated on 1 x AA)

Get either the Fenix LD 10 (1xAA) or LD20 (2xAA). For more information about the Fenix flashlights, read this http://www.fenixlight.com/product.asp?classid=2&Page=1 If you want to buy any of the Fenix lights, please call CEJ (he goes by different nick in different forums), who is the local distributor, at 67288415. Unfortunately he does not have a shop and operates from his home, you will have to tell him which model you are interested and he will bring them along when meeting up with you. I bought many Fenix lights from him and he is trustworthy.

How's the built quality of these Fenix flashlights? And how much would say, that LD 20 cost? Seems decent to me. No time to call the guy now though as I've to go for a shoot soon.

How's the built quality of these Fenix flashlights? And how much would say, that LD 20 cost? Seems decent to me. No time to call the guy now though as I've to go for a shoot soon.

Built quality of the Fenix flashlights is excellent. If you go to the flashlight hobbyist website - candlepoweforums.com - you will notice that Fenix is one of the most reputable and discussed brands there and is highly regarded. I just checked, the LD 20 goes for $78 while the LD10 sells for $75.

How's the built quality of these Fenix flashlights?

Solid .. aircraft grade aluminum.. hard anodized finish, 1.5 metres impact resistant and 2m waterproof rating for my keychain model.

:)

SOLID.. I have a few, including a TK-11. Look out for Cateye :)

I'm using a M10 Tools 3 watt flashlight. Can be found in most HomeFix stores for around $30. I got mine at a lower price as I bought mine from a neighbourhood hardware store.

I can attest that it is very bright and very tough. It has seen quite some abuse since the day I bought it, which was almost over a year ago.

I've dropped it. I've done river crossings with it where it was submerged completely underwater. And it still works just as well as the day I bought it. ;p

m10v.jpg

It uses 3 AAA batteries.

Sure it ain't the level of Surefire flashlights but it works just fine for me. Plus it wouldn't break my heart if it were to break. :sweat:

Friend. Use POWER brand sold at Mustaffa.
It's S$38 and it's around 200 Lumens. It also uses AA batteries.
Runtime, around 7 hrs.
There's a version where you can focus the beam.
The cheaper version used to retail at only $28 or so.

I also use the Fenix PD30. It's a LOT more expensive, but it delivers a whopping 260 Lumens.
Uses CR123 Batteries. Runtime 1.5hrs.
I got mine from Bangkok, but I think I saw the Fenix 20 for sale at a Camping shop hidden way back in the corner towards the Cinema at Marina Square.
Good Luck in getting what you want.

Oh, and I forgot, You can swim with either one of them, coz they are both waterproof.

Last edited:
Aight dad said the Fenix LD-20 is a go. Who's this CEJ person I hear about that I can buy from?

Friend. Use POWER brand sold at Mustaffa.
It's S$38 and it's around 200 Lumens. It also uses AA batteries.
Runtime, around 7 hrs.
There's a version where you can focus the beam.
The cheaper version used to retail at only $28 or so.

I got mine at $25...before they jacked it up to $28. Very reliable so far in all my explorations, very bright in close quarters (for long range i think those yellow light bulb ones are better). Was disappointed they raised the price if not would have bought extra. Very handy. Thought they had changed the brand name to Cree? Same packaging style, same torch. Printing different, price different. :bsmilie:

I got mine at $25...before they jacked it up to $28. Very reliable so far in all my explorations, very bright in close quarters (for long range i think those yellow light bulb ones are better). Was disappointed they raised the price if not would have bought extra. Very handy. Thought they had changed the brand name to Cree? Same packaging style, same torch. Printing different, price different. :bsmilie:

CREE is a particular brand of LED, and is amongst the more popular ones. The other two are Luxeon and Nichia. I've got the POWER+ brand headlamp from Mustafa and I think it's really good!

I think burn time is more important than lumens output. Based on my experience, LED torches fade out quite rapidly and it's really frustrating to be out and about in the dark of night when your torch goes out. So I'd also recommend a lower-powered one (those with multiple LEDs) as back-up. They're still good enough to illuminate your pathway for navigation, and is less a strain on the eyes if you need to read your map at night.

@sbs99,

I got mine at $25...before they jacked it up to $28.
Very reliable so far in all my explorations, very bright in close quarters (for long range i think those yellow light bulb ones are better). Was disappointed they raised the price if not would have bought extra. Very handy. Thought they had changed the brand name to Cree? Same packaging style, same torch. Printing different, price different.
MC: Actually, it was two different batches. I saw the price, and asked wtf??? Then I realized that the tailcap button, is of a different color. One is grey, and one is black. (for whatever this info is worth... hhahaha)

@synapseman

I think burn time is more important than lumens output.
MC: For my purposes, I partly disagree. I use it as an illumination tool for deep Jungle trekking, lighting up caves for filming, as well as a self-defense weapon. a blast of 30 lumens does nothing while 260 Lumens blinds your attacker a full minute at close range. try this on your kid sister and see how long it takes for her to attack you !! hahahahahaha NO NO NO !! I take that back... DO NOT try this at home !!
(ok. Cover backside already.. hahaha)

Based on my experience, LED torches fade out quite rapidly and it's really frustrating to be out and about in the dark of night when your torch goes out. So I'd also recommend a lower-powered one (those with multiple LEDs) as back-up. They're still good enough to illuminate your pathway for navigation, and is less a strain on the eyes if you need to read your map at night.
MC: It's far easier to carry spare batteries than to carry an extra torch. But having said that, I carry 3 torches, with plenty of spare batteries for each....
BTW, I like it that my shaver also uses AA, same as POWER.

Cheers