A curious question on how are DSLRs categorised.

For nikon.... If model accepted for NPS registration means pro, and those that 'were' accepted for NPS but no more... Is Nikon's way of telling you it's time to upgrade. :D

Pro level cameras (at least by Nikon standards)... look closely at the left knob... nothing but the quickess access to important functions... Completely do away with scene modes. So good luck if you can't figure out what's the best setting for sports, macro, landscape, etc etc... For this, I'd even categorise D300s as a Pro camera... (even NPS agrees with this). Full mag-alloy bodies allow the greatest chance of survival, imaging you're shooting a riot, a war, or Even Paris / Dakkar rally?... Fully sealed and weather proven...

Serious Enthusiast, D90 - D7000... Whilst D7000 has features that better D300s in many aspects.. it still provided the different shooting modes (assuming that the photographer may still need these assistance at times)... And you can't even lock the knob in case of accidental shifts... Half magnesium alloy isn't going to fully protect the camera when you're on important assignments... One half is going to protected, the other is going to be crushed if ran over by a car... D90 is completely plastic exterior, needless to say is no guarantee against tough shooting conditions (no insurance)...

Enthusiast / Beginner level... Less help screens to watch your settings/controls - that is assuming you don't need quick access to most of the settings, time isn't a great concern that you don't want too many buttons to confuse you. Scene Modes are a must...in case you don't know which is the best way to set for given situation...

Last edited:
Entry level do not have built-in af motor to drive af-d lens, no top lcds, and one dial action.. kitted with 18-55

They are categorized base on hole they created on your wallet :bsmilie:

Yutaka Go said:
They are categorized base on hole they created on your wallet :bsmilie:

It's like sending your big fat wallet for a slimming programme.

at least for nikon the way I see when cam is 1st introduce, under 1200 -> entry, under 2000 -> advance, under 4000 -> semi pro, above 5000 -> pro

the price range is very distinct to provide a rough indication to consumer what sort of level the cam is in.

of course the price range will change with different generation of cam as technology advanced.

Last edited:
I suppose it's based on the whole DSLR, compared to the technology available at that time of Coz. But one distinct feature is entry-levels don't have a top LCD panel and an AF motor. Entry levels also tend to use lightweight materials like plastic, while anything above has more or less some magnesium alloy in them. Anything above entry-levels have their knob placed away from the shutter button too, to make space for the LCD display. That's one of the fastest ways to identify an entry-level (that's what I do when I'm trying to guess a passerby's model)

Model levels are just categories marketing folks and product managers create. They do not really matter. What matter more is how you shoot and what features and controls you need to achieve your shots. Model envy or classification is meaningless after a while. If famous and super pros need a lightweight cam for an assignment where weight and portability is key, they will not hesitate to shoot with an entry level cam, if it gets the job done in the best possible way.