A Beautiful Night At Marina.

BigBaby

Feb 16, 2011
Earth
Hi to all the CS members. I'm new in CS. After a few years of photography than I found this awesome forum with great info and great people. I also saw a lot of impressive work here. Really glad to join CS. Here are some of my humble work to share. :)

#1 [Lights of Beauty]
5486428222_bfc3f080c2_z_d.jpg

#2 [Night Reflections]
5485833863_57ecd19890_z_d.jpg

#3 [Pier to Horizon]
5486426378_a5b473233f_z_d.jpg

#4 [Night Reflections 2]
5486429618_96d0bca1cb_z_d.jpg

Nice pictures! care to share what are your settings?

Nice pictures! care to share what are your settings?

Hi mingzheng. Thank you. Sure no problem.
For this 4 shots the shutter speed I only set it at 10 secs for the not so blur water effects. ISO 100, apperture f/4 & focal length at 17mm.
If you want a more blur and smooth water effects you can set it on longer shutter speed eg. 20-30. Which I can show you on my next few photos. Cheers!

This are the Helix Bridges shots. With 15 - 20 secs shutter speed.

#5 Helix Bridge
5492523036_df000e912f_z_d.jpg

#6 Helix Bridge 2
5491928123_e395331936_z_d.jpg

#7 Helix Bridge 3
5491928611_9902c68c1b_z_d.jpg

#8 Helix Bridge 4
5491929853_073742cdbe_z_d.jpg

#9 Helix Bridge 5
5493859916_3f77a015b1_z_d.jpg

Last edited:
Cool.im gonna try it out .
Thanks for sharing.

ianwang said:
Cool.im gonna try it out .
Thanks for sharing.

No problem. You are welcome.

bibical said:
NICE! what body and lens did u use?

Thanks! I'm using Canon 60D with a Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC OS HSM lens.

colors nice. sharpness good. but watch out for your composition.

in all your pictures, either: your buildings are chopped off suddenly, distractions in the frame, too tight framing.

to me, #9 is good but you could shoot from a lower angle up to give perspective to the shot

in all your pictures, either: your buildings are chopped off suddenly, distractions in the frame, too tight framing.

to me, #9 is good but you could shoot from a lower angle up to give perspective to the shot

Thanks for the comments. You have the point there about the composition. Next time I will try to zoom out more to make the frame not so tight. Appreciate your great tips.

hi , very nice pics for the helix bridge, i took a similar photo as #8 Helix Bridge 4 , exactly the same angle , with ISO100 F/18 25sec , but the photo just not as sharp as yours , instead it is far from yours . Is there any tips you can give... ( i am using a nikon D7K with 18-105mm kit lens)

hero.. just to check with you, if the building is not my subject, is it still not ok to cut off the building? say for example, #5 above, the subject seems to be Helix and MBS. The mall which doesnt seem to be the subject, is cut off - does it matter? Let's say if he frames the entire mall and the art and science museum, will it result in tight composition?

Bro, not to comment on your advice, just wntd to clear some thoughts in my head. hehe. taking the chance to learn from the hero..

hero.. just to check with you, if the building is not my subject, is it still not ok to cut off the building? say for example, #5 above, the subject seems to be Helix and MBS. The mall which doesnt seem to be the subject, is cut off - does it matter? Let's say if he frames the entire mall and the art and science museum, will it result in tight composition?

Bro, not to comment on your advice, just wntd to clear some thoughts in my head. hehe. taking the chance to learn from the hero..

Actually i do agree with kei1309 on #5.. my guess is the "distractions" are the lower part of the photo where the pathway under the helix bridge appears in the frame, but yet does not seem to be intentionally included.. hence at the centre of the lower part of the shot there is suddenely a dark sharp edge of a wall that distracts the viewer. the lower left side pathway where lights are in a row could have been excluded totally by re-composing upwards a little.. and maybe there should be a little more space above the MBS skypark, otherwise there is a slight feel of "no space/crampped" at first look... having said that, the shooter could have just shifted about 45 deg right, excluded the bottom distractions and included the MBS mall.. the other thing he could have tried was to shift his angle.. i do understand that buildings there are not easy to isolate because they're all built quite close to each other and "overlapping" is something that might occur.. then in that sense i would think the shot would have to consists of MBS hote, MBS mall and the museum as a "set" and how much of the bridge is included is up to the shooter..

if i might add to the thread starter, the angle at #6 has been "shot to death".. u might want to change a perspective and look for a more unusual angle to capture

hi , very nice pics for the helix bridge, i took a similar photo as #8 Helix Bridge 4 , exactly the same angle , with ISO100 F/18 25sec , but the photo just not as sharp as yours , instead it is far from yours . Is there any tips you can give... ( i am using a nikon D7K with 18-105mm kit lens)

Hi mongping. Did you use a tripod?
It's a must to use tripod for night scene photography. Sturdy tripod will be better.
And you also need a remote shutter trigger or use your camera shutter timer to execute the shot to reduce any shake or vibration when pressing down the shutter button on the camera body.
Another thing is your lens got any VR? If have it is best to turn it off to reduce any lens vibration from the VR. You don't need it when mounted on tripod. Hope all this info will help. :)

did you use hyperfocal method for your landscape ? can you tell me how you make your picture so sharp ?

For this 4 shots the shutter speed I only set it at 10 secs for the not so blur water effects. ISO 100, apperture f/4 & focal length at 17mm.
If you want a more blur and smooth water effects you can set it on longer shutter speed eg. 20-30. Which I can show you on my next few photos. Cheers!

Hi BigBaby Bro,

I'm just a newbie in photography. I have taken some picture at MBS as well. But i found out that my picture were not as sharp and colorful as yours and a little underexpose. My setting focal length at 18mm, Shutter speed 5 secs, aperture 3.5, ISO 800.

The question i were about to ask are:
1. Is the shutter speed more longer will affect your picture brighter/colorful?
2. Will the UV filter affect my picture during night photography?

Hope you or anyone could give me some advice on this. Thank you. :)

Hi BigBaby Bro,

I'm just a newbie in photography. I have taken some picture at MBS as well. But i found out that my picture were not as sharp and colorful as yours and a little underexpose. My setting focal length at 18mm, Shutter speed 5 secs, aperture 3.5, ISO 800.

Hi BigBaby Bro,