9pt AF vs more AF pts

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's always the case isn't it..even I myself have fallen prey.

A good example would be the fact that I've been using a 1DsMkIII for the past week. This is in contrast to my usual 30D/1DMkII combination - suddenly 21mp didn't seem so big anymore, and I was almost sold on the idea of forging fast servo AF + 8 FPS for FF. It's easy to get lost in the moment, but you have to slap yourself in the face and bring everything back to reality, so you can shout in the mirror to yourself at what you NEED and not want.

The latest cam from Canon will feature over 100 AF points sprayed randomly throughout the viewfinder. LOL!

Well said.. I remember sometime back when the first Liveview came up and almost everyone said we dont need it. then came the sensor cleaning and it was the same. a lot of ppl said that they dont even need anything more than 12MP on the camera.

I am sure if Canon puts a 45pt AF in the lower series like 50D or next versions of 5Ds, everybody is gonna like it.

I used a 1V before and am currently using Nikon D3 and I really find these systems very useful. I am sure that I cannot do without them. Note the use of "I"

Well, the problem is, Canon wouldn't come up with 2 versions of the same cam, 1 with 9AF pts and the other with 45pts aye? :bsmilie:

Interestingly, it's mostly canon users with no experience of other systems talking about what they need.

Haha..
From sensor cleaner, to live view, to video mode....
as long as it's something that other brands have, canon doesn't, they don't need it.

That is, until canon introduces the same features in their camera and suddenly the feature is desirable, and a must have.

For some people who shoot by and swear by F4 lenses, I can see that recomposition isn't an issue for them. Perhaps if they ever get to shoot with brighter/better lenses they will understand.
honestly speaking these are pretty redundant systems. At the end of the day, it all boils down to just looking through the viewfinder, getting the focus, clicking the shutter.

Focus points + Servo would help especially if you shoot objects disappearing from a plane of focus. The 1d series is so cluttered with good technology that most people would forgo all those fine details like better processing, more accurate focusing, highlight details retention etc. and focus on the more 'advertised' stuff, like megapixel counts and price.

Such is the megapixel race today and for the commoner who can't tell 2 cameras apart, the only benchmark left for them is the race for resolution. All those features you've mentioned earlier are bits of information that are straightforward, easy to digest and comprehend, even to people who know peanuts about how the camera works.

Sadly, that has become the common benchmarks for cameras all across the board, with the plague reaching even the 'more than semi-pro' model like the 5DmkII. That's really quite sad.

Last edited:
Hi all, just wondering. If i were to acquire the new 50d/5dmk2 with 9pt AF, does it mean anything if i only use the center AF ? Since whether it is 9 AF or 51 AF points, and im using the center AF technically speaking there shouldnt be any difference right?

Please clarify, thanks

51 AF points will be better for sports event. Even in the event if you need to 'reduce' the number of AF points for cameras with many AF points, example is the Mark III series, you can 'cluster' your AF points to make them 'bigger', effectively 'reducing' the smaller multiple AF points.

51 AF points will be better for sports event. Even in the event if you need to 'reduce' the number of AF points for cameras with many AF points, example is the Mark III series, you can 'cluster' your AF points to make them 'bigger', effectively 'reducing' the smaller multiple AF points.

you mean, the 7 and 13 point cluster CFn?

Status
Not open for further replies.