6 days HK trip (first timer)

by the way i have a prepaid sim card with some values left... actually bought the wrong one... this sim card can only use internet at wifi hotspot (20hkd per day unlimited hours) instead of 3G. you can use it to make local and international calls too.

anyone going to hk soon and needs it can come collect from me (no charge) cos dun want to waste it.

pm me for details.

My first 2 days was shroudded in rain, moody did not do much either

Wong Tai Sin Temple was like what u mentioned, under reno, not much to take. I saw a bus load of hurried photographers with their D3/D3X/1Ds ( no joke ) stomping the grounds of the temple and clear out in less than 30 mins. Much of the areas were cordoned.

Victoria Harbor i visited twice , mainly to see the bad pollution as well as to see the night scenery la, otherwise experience the symphony of lights once and shld be enough. Avenue of Stars is a short walk along as well.

Tsim Sha Tsui was lots of shopping for my wife though :bsmilie: The last day we decided to head out split, i went shooting and she went for last minute shopping

I did not spend too much time at the Giant Buddha though, cause i was more interested in the Tai O fishing village, which was a short bus ride within the island. Took a cable ride to Lantau, and took a bus ride from Tai O out and back ( take note of the timings ) Tai O is a quaint little fishing village quite unlike HK, the seafood is nice too. We took the cheap 20HKD boat ride and actually managed to see the pink looking dolphins! seafood is amazing and cheap. their stir fry chap chai has abalone inside, steam promfet was cheap and damn good.

Tsing Ma Bridge took abit more planning, but it was a nice place to shoot, remember to check tides and plan ahead if u got more time at HK. We took MTR to Kwai Fong, and changed to the shuttle bus that goes Park Island ( alight on first stop )

I got the PCCW calling card to make cheap calls back HK, and got the "3" card for surfing on phone. My usage was not too heavy la, and mostly google map for specific directions and also food recommendations etc heh.

Macau was lovely, and indeed can easily take 2-3 days to shoot the place well. I regret a little not having the time to take the Grand Lisboa in the night ( cause was chopping seat for fireworks shooting )

I went Shenzhen mainly to visit Lo Hu . Laurels restaurant at the top of the shopping complex was great. Didn bring my SLR to shoot there. Infact we saw two groups of chinese people quarrelling to almost a fight outside the complex while 2 clueless policeman were watching at a far distance, enough to put me off from taking photos. Maybe i am too Kia si

ryan

Last edited:
Hi TS,
I saw all your photos on HK on your facebook.
I like all the series since day 1.
Just Wondering how you book for the accomodation at MK hotel?

We will be at HK on 30 Dec 2010 and arrived there 11pm.
I was looking for cheaper rooms with my Gf where all accessible to the city.

Is the public transport like buses closes at 12mid night? like here at SG?

Thanks.

Hi TS,
I saw all your photos on HK on your facebook.
I like all the series since day 1.
Just Wondering how you book for the accomodation at MK hotel?

We will be at HK on 30 Dec 2010 and arrived there 11pm.
I was looking for cheaper rooms with my Gf where all accessible to the city.

Is the public transport like buses closes at 12mid night? like here at SG?

Thanks.

hi zeunice,

i booked the hotel room via www.asiarooms.com

i think the bus services ends ard 11+pm if i am not mistaken.

hi zeunice,

i booked the hotel room via www.asiarooms.com

i think the bus services ends ard 11+pm if i am not mistaken.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Will check on this..
Think will just try taxi from airport to the hotel.
Is there any hostels near arport? cos we are planning to stay near airport before we go the city.
And likely to take photos early in the morning on the Lantau link(Bridge to the city).

Thanks for the quick reply.
Will check on this..
Think will just try taxi from airport to the hotel.
Is there any hostels near arport? cos we are planning to stay near airport before we go the city.
And likely to take photos early in the morning on the Lantau link(Bridge to the city).

i think the airport bus from the airport is still available. Take A21 from the airport, roughly 8 bus stops if i did not rem wrongly. :)

More info about A21 bus route:
http://www.nwstbus.com.hk/routes/ro...e=1&daytime=3&route=A21&routetype=D&company=5 (look under "From Airport (Ground Transportation Centre)") - You will alight at Sino center.

if you want to take photos earlier in the morning at Lantau link, u can take a train to Tsing Yi Mtr station, change to a small bus 308M or take a cab from that station.

Last edited:
very informative. Thanks again...

Sorry but it is kinda confusing bout the 3G prepaid.

I have some doubts

- 3 have micro-sim for iphone 4?
- The prepaid card comes with $98HKD value?
- and daily data usage cost is capped at $28HKD?

Very informative!!! :thumbsup: Am heading to HK in Jan as well, first time!!! Still contemplating if I should buy my 70-200 there as there is no international warranty. :think:

Very informative!!! :thumbsup: Am heading to HK in Jan as well, first time!!! Still contemplating if I should buy my 70-200 there as there is no international warranty. :think:

u may still be able to find some old stocks that still have international warranty.

I have some doubts

sorry i can't advise u on this... cos i bought the wrong type of card and only restricted to hotspot areas :cry:

maybe u can try pm CS TAN for help.

I have some doubts

Iphone4 is very common in HK, so all you need to do is ask for the micro SIM when you are purchasing the SIM card, from 3COM or PCCW.

You pay HK$98 for the SIM card from 3COM that has a validity of 6 months, the HK$98 is the card value but doesn't go a long way. In fact, I needed to top up the value after 1.5 days of light 3G data usage and a few phone calls back to Singapore totalling 13 minutes.

Data charges are capped at HK$28 per day.

All in all, you will not be surprised by hefty roaming charges when you see your next phone bill.

Also, I will recommend to skip the "Symphony of Lights".

I was on the Kowloon side, near the Peninsula Hotel, facing the harbour by 7:40pm and the effort & time taken to lug the gear there and then fight for good photo spot with other tourists is simply not worth the "light up" and laser display.

Basically there were no 'oohs & ahhs' from the crowd and most left after 25 minutes in disappointment. I certainly did.......

I was on the Kowloon side, near the Peninsula Hotel, facing the harbour by 7:40pm and the effort & time taken to lug the gear there and then fight for good photo spot with other tourists is simply not worth the "light up" and laser display.

Basically there were no 'oohs & ahhs' from the crowd and most left after 25 minutes in disappointment. I certainly did.......

i strongly agreed. i park my spot since 6+pm. then come nearer to the show time... getting more and more crowded, then got this indian guy squeeze and stand right in front of my tripod, that i had to pat his back, "eh hello, i am here since 6+", he backed on but later blocked me again.

anyway the show is not nice also. total waste of time :bsmilie:

I thought Peninsula Hotel was at Tsim Sha Tsui ? Near the inter continental hotel ?

i strongly agreed. i park my spot since 6+pm. then come nearer to the show time... getting more and more crowded, then got this indian guy squeeze and stand right in front of my tripod, that i had to pat his back, "eh hello, i am here since 6+", he backed on but later blocked me again.

anyway the show is not nice also. total waste of time :bsmilie:
love to have a flash that can burn off the hairs behind the head of those who blocked me..
:bsmilie::bsmilie: