Travelling to HK [nvr step out of SG for more than 6 yrs]

fxsg123

Nov 8, 2014
@singapore
Hello! I'm hoping to find someone familiar for advices on itinerary planning, or any general recommendations. :D

It has been six years since our family last overseas trip [2009]. None of our family member, including myself travels for the past six years, not even to Malaysia. Our family consist of myself, wife, parent and kids.

Finally we have a chance, not easy to come by, this Sept/ Nov school holiday we plan to HK for 8 days. Although we never visited HK before, I believe 8 days is more than enough; so with a little ambitious in mind, I plan to take this opportunity to visit surrounding places outside HK.

Currently planning:
1: SG/HK -> HK -> HK/Shenzhen/Guilin -> Guilin -> Guilin -> Guilin/Shenzhen/HK -> HK -> HK/SG
2: SG/HK -> HK -> HK/Shenzhen/Guilin -> Guilin -> Guilin -> Guilin/Shenzhen -> Shenzhen/HK -> HK/SG

Each arrow represents a day.

HK itinerary generally as follow:
D1: Take SQ, flight schedule to land 1:30pm; take metro to hotel near Central or Admiralty in HK island. Late afternoon go Victoria Peak, night go Temple Street.
D2: Early morning early go Ngong see big Buddha follow by Ladies Street shopping.
D3: Metro to Shenzhen, 12 Noon take high-speed train to Guilin (this I really need advice as lot uncertainties involved :confused:)
….
D6: Guilin back to Shenzhen (and HK) by noon via train; have not decide to stay at Shenzhen for a day. If yes, tour Shenzhen surrounding near our hotel.
D7: If previous day decides to return to HK, today plan whole day at Disneyland; if previous day decide to stay at Shenzhen, itinerary will properly only be dinner at Jumbo Kingdom.
D8: Last min activities, have not decide; flight schedule is 3:30pm, have to reach Airport by 1pm. Home sweet home.

Guilin itinerary generally as follow:
D3: Tour Guilin surrounding near our hotel.
D4: Li river cruise to Yangshuo, stay overnight.
D5: Longshen plus surrounding villages visit, return to Guilin by nightfall.

Some uncertainty, it’s realistic, achievable? Not sure if it’s too rush or too loose.

Reason for Guilin is to take opportunity for some photography, especially early morning so plan to stay at hotel nearer to river (myself of course).
My parent refer China always (as always the case for older generation):eek:
My wife and kids would prefer shopping in HK! ;)

Would really appreciate if anyone can comment, advice and share their experiences.
Thanks in advance:D

Hi I just came back from Guilin in Apr so I can offer some advice. If your Guilin hotel is in main city, note that from main city to Yangshuo is 2hrs by bus and from main city to Longshen is also 2hrs by bus. From your plan if u stay overnight at Yangshuo then early morning 7plus you catch a bus to Longshen it will be at least 3hr plus. Bulk of the attraction in Guilin is in Yangshuo. The bus at Longshen back to Guilin I think latest is 5.30pm. Same goes to the bus from Yangshuo back to Guilin last bus also 5 or 5.30pm.

If you reach Longshen say around noon, you have very limited time to explore both villages there. The most you can cover is 1 village. By Sept the crops in Longshen padding field has turned yellow and the local say it will be very nice.

Do note that no external batt e.g. handphone batt, power bank is allowed in checkin luggage in China. All has to hand carry and they limited per passenger to 2 powerbank for hand carry, and if I remember correctly power bank with more than 10,000 mah is not allow for hand carry too.

Last edited:
Do note that no external batt e.g. handphone batt, power bank is allowed in checkin luggage in China. All has to hand carry and they limited per passenger to 2 powerbank for hand carry, and if I remember correctly power bank with more than 10,000 mah is not allow for hand carry too.

This is for check-in luggage at the airport(HK) or train terminal?

This is for check-in luggage at the airport(HK) or train terminal?

At the airport. At guilin I saw a giant sign board behind the check-in counter explaining regulation for lithium batteries. I ever kena stop after check-in and had to remove the battery found in my check-in luggage. During check in they will ask if your check-in luggage has any battery inside. (I believe batts found inside gadget they dun care. It's more for power bank as well as batt for phones). Better don't take the risk and risk missing your flight due to another clearance for your check-in luggage inside a small room after check-in.

At the airport. At guilin I saw a giant sign board behind the check-in counter explaining regulation for lithium batteries. I ever kena stop after check-in and had to remove the battery found in my check-in luggage. During check in they will ask if your check-in luggage has any battery inside. (I believe batts found inside gadget they dun care. It's more for power bank as well as batt for phones). Better don't take the risk and risk missing your flight due to another clearance for your check-in luggage inside a small room after check-in.

I see.

I was in HK last month, yes no power bank is allowed in check-in luggage but hand carry is ok.

Also, mine was the 10k power bank from XiaoMi and there was no issue with carry-on for both inbound and outbound flights.

Just remember that you are not allowed to check in any Li-on batteries, not even spare batteries for your camera. All have to go into your hand carry bag. And at one point, the limit on powerbank is actually one per passenger last I remember.

To TS, your trip is too rushed. And trains in China are very packed and tickets sell out fast. Do plan for some contigencies.

1 more thing to note when you in Guilin is pre-paid sim card. Alot of shops does not sell pre-paid anymore. I only found 1 shop on my 3rd day there that sell a prepaid sim card under China Unicom that has 500mb for data for 70rmb. You should download baidu map in your phone and then also download the offline map for Guilin and other city you visiting in China. Once you get the sim card you can use baidu map to navigate around. Baidu map has street view just like google map. I use agoda to book my hotel, cos if you walk in the rate is much more expensive.

You need to have a photo of your passport saved in your phone, then you can leave your passport in hotel safe. You will need your passport when you buy bus ticket, basically they only need to see the name on your passport. Guilin has 2 bus depot, only at 琴潭车站 you can get ticket to Longshen.

If you going to Shenzhen, check out 华强北, many wholesale place for handphone accessories. At 华强电子世界 there is a concentration of shops for 2 floors that sell LED light stuff. Very cheap price. If you decide to buy bulky item you can check with the shop owner for shipping contacts that ship to Singapore.

Don't be too ambitious and cover too many city while in China, it's tiring to check in and out of hotels and you have to be careful with your belongings at bus depot or train stations, including your kids!