5D, What is this?

Sad to say, it's fungus.You can try shooting at smaller aperture and the fungus will show up clearly
You're not the only one with such kind of problem, I've got 3 FF Canon bodies in my dry cabinet.
I heard CSC does not accept such kind of cleaning if it's inside the AA filter.
But you can still try and keep us updated.

Sad to say, it's fungus.You can try shooting at smaller aperture and the fungus will show up clearly
You're not the only one with such kind of problem, I've got 3 FF Canon bodies in my dry cabinet.
I heard CSC does not accept such kind of cleaning if it's inside the AA filter.
But you can still try and keep us updated.

the master had spoken! :thumbsup:

what happened to that 3 canon FF in your dry cabinet? also got fungus?

Not a master :embrass:

These cameras are not mine. I suspect the owners haven't use the camera for quite some time

icic...

just curious, let say one of our equipments is infested with fungus... if kept together with other clean equipments in the same dry cabinet, will the fungus spread? Sorry if this sounds dumb to u :p

icic...

just curious, let say one of our equipments is infested with fungus... if kept together with other clean equipments in the same dry cabinet, will the fungus spread? Sorry if this sounds dumb to u :p

Spores will spread, but its really difficult to get into a lens if its properly capped at both ends. The low humidity in the cabinet would SLOW but not STOP fungi and manifests as a growing mycelium (thread-like appendages) across a colonized spot. I would also doubt that such conditions favor sporulation as the fungi would want to ensure survival of itself before producing the reproductive structures. TS's pics only show mycelium; not bulbous sporulating bodies.

There is also no point setting lower RH values <50% as fungi probably gets onto equipment during shoots outside - again survivability inside the cabinet is very minimal. Lower humidity means the focusing/zoom rubber drys out faster and may lead to cracking in the long run.

Just wipe clean before putting into cabinet should be enough.

Spores will spread, but its really difficult to get into a lens if its properly capped at both ends. The low humidity in the cabinet would SLOW but not STOP fungi and manifests as a growing mycelium (thread-like appendages) across a colonized spot. I would also doubt that such conditions favor sporulation as the fungi would want to ensure survival of itself before producing the reproductive structures. TS's pics only show mycelium; not bulbous sporulating bodies.

There is also no point setting lower RH values <50% as fungi probably gets onto equipment during shoots outside - again survivability inside the cabinet is very minimal. Lower humidity means the focusing/zoom rubber drys out faster and may lead to cracking in the long run.

Just wipe clean before putting into cabinet should be enough.

:thumbsup:

thanks! learn something new.

icic...

A lot of debates on this topic in other forums.
I just separate them to be safe.

Last edited:
icic...

Depends on whether you are "heng sway". Sometimes nothing happened. Sometimes it's a forest in there. :cool:

Maintenance is key. Clean your equipment after each use before putting it back for storage. Ensure dry cabinet is working properly. Send it down to CSC at least once a year for general cleaning, including the sensor, about S$ 70 only, only one hour wait with free coffee. Otherwise, change system every year.

it is the dust from the underside of the mirror. u have to do mirror lock and take the dust off with tape.

it is the dust from the underside of the mirror. u have to do mirror lock and take the dust off with tape.
I think dust would appear as spots or patches? Fungus usually has a more "structured" look

Okay guys thank you for your reply. I gave the cam back to the guy who sold it to me and bought another one.

If I ever experience this kind fungus thing again I will probably hit some Canon employee with the infected lens or camera :D

Okay guys thank you for your reply. I gave the cam back to the guy who sold it to me and bought another one.

If I ever experience this kind fungus thing again I will probably hit some Canon employee with the infected lens or camera :D

u mean someone sold u this 5D with fungus? You bought in this forum? If so, please let us know the nick.

It looks like what I had previously, so yeah - fungus.

Change a lens, see if it appears. If it does, then sensor. If not, then lens.

CSC time.

EDIT: Ok, sorry. Read that you've since returned the camera to the seller.

Last edited: