550D vs 60D as my first DSRL , and which lens?

Tigerbear

Jan 22, 2011
Hi I m a Newbie in photography. I am going to get my first DSRL . I had decided to get 550D but these days I m being recommended to buy 60D instead. I m receiving different opinions on the body as well as lenses. In terms of lems, i do look for quality ones and those I can use for a long time. I was considering 17-40 f4L but some suggested a longer focal length like 24-105 4fL or others.... This is such a difficult decision to make as I get different suggestions from different people. Which do u think will be good as my primary lens. Should i go for 550D or 60D? (60D is a liitle heavy)
Just want to hear your recommendations. Thx...

Get a 550D it is enough.

As for lens, maybe you might want to get the 17-55 f2.8 , it is definately top notch quality even though its not an L.

if you want to "future-proof" your investment, go for 60D. lens wise can consider the canon 15-85, has a very useful range and great stabilisation.

if you want to "future-proof" your investment, go for 60D. lens wise can consider the canon 15-85, has a very useful range and great stabilisation.

i wouldn't call the 60D future proof. Wasn't much of a upgrade anyway.

15-85 is good. Covers a good focal length with excellent IQ. However i still wish i cld have taken the 17-55 instead ;p

Hi. I'm also a newbie. I just started using dslr last oct 2010.
My first dslr is a canon eos 60D with a 24-105L lens. Until
I'm still enjoying it a lot. And many people admired my photos.
Maybe u should get one like mine!

Should i go for 550D or 60D? (60D is a liitle heavy)

If you haven't done so already, go to the Canon showroom at Vivocity and try out each model. If you have larger hands, the 60D's grip would probably feel better. On the other hand, if your hand is a little on the smaller side, you'll probably find the 550D more comfortable.

While you're there, ask to try out the various lenses you're considering as well.

I tried both 550D and 60D at the canon show room. The 60D does feel a little heavy after awhile. I tried the 18-135 kit lens, 17-40 f4 and 15-85 on both. I find 550D more suitable and I like 17-40 most. Someone suggested I get 550D , 17-40 and in near future 70-200... But some frds say I should get 24-105 as the 17-40 is too short and it won't be enough if I want to shoot flowers... And they say I will not want to carry more than one lens when I travel., so they think 17-40 is not the best choice. As for 17-55, the cost is about the same as 24-70 but the former is not FF compatible, so if I do upgrade to FF in future I can't use it.. But then it's too far away...

If you are not comfortable with 60D's weight, then I say 550D. Otherwise, take a closer look at the difference in features between both bodies (e.g. ergonomics, vari-angle LCD, cross-type AF points etc.). If you want/need those features, 60D is the choice, otherwise 550D. That is if cost difference is not an issue.

For primary lens, I suppose you mean a general purpose lens ... in terms of focal length, I think the 15-85 offers the best range. For me, 24-105 is not wide enough on a cropped.

If you have the chance, go try out or rent the different bodies/lenses, it will help you make your decision a lot easier. Hope this helps.

I tried both 550D and 60D at the canon show room. The 60D does feel a little heavy after awhile. I tried the 18-135 kit lens, 17-40 f4 and 15-85 on both. I find 550D more suitable and I like 17-40 most. Someone suggested I get 550D , 17-40 and in near future 70-200... But some frds say I should get 24-105 as the 17-40 is too short and it won't be enough if I want to shoot flowers... And they say I will not want to carry more than one lens when I travel., so they think 17-40 is not the best choice. As for 17-55, the cost is about the same as 24-70 but the former is not FF compatible, so if I do upgrade to FF in future I can't use it.. But then it's too far away...
if you are going to upgrade to ff say in the next 6 months, yes it makes sense to hold your horses and get the 24-70L instead of the 17-55.

no point considering so much into the future when you are not sure where you are heading also. the 17-55 has good resale value too, so you need not worry abt not being able to sell it.

If you have tried it out and find that the 17-40 and 550D suits you the most, don't be too affected by what your friends say.

If still a bit unsure, can consider renting the setup for a day or two for evaluation.

The adage of "not buying 17-55 in view of future FF upgrade" seems like a popular idea among many people, but its honestly quite overstated and overrated; buy it if it fits you most at this moment. Its not hard to sell it off if and when you do eventually go to FF.

Last edited:
The 24-105mm is a very good lens on a 1.6x body. I had mine on a 50D and it used most of the time.
Good colors...sharpness is more than sufficient for me except towards the 105mm end where sharpness decreases when you pixel peep.

Build quality is also decent compared to Nikkor lenses. Cant say the same for the EFS 17-55mm.
After owning the tamron 17-50mm and the canon 24-105mm...the build quality of the EFS 17-55mm just felt cheap to me:bheart:

I'd recommend the 17-50mm if on budget...else go for the canon 24-105mm.

As for body...go for the 50D or 60D. The xxxD series is a tad too small for my hands(and also a number of people) unless you're willing to compromise ergonomics for a lightweight body.

I think ff should me much heavier then 60d.

For a newcomer to DSLR photography, i would advise holding off lens purchases for the time being and go shooting lots of photos with your kit lens for the first couple of months.

During this initial learning phase, you will discover your own photography style and from there learn exactly what sort of lens suits your needs most.. because really, there's no right or wrong answer when it comes to choosing a lens; it all boils down to personal preference.

For instance, you may find that you like shooting close-ups of flowers, in which case you should get a macro lens. The 17-55mm f2.8 is going to get you nowhere in this case. Or you may find that you like shooting portraits and candid shoots of strangers without getting too close, in which case you should get a telephoto zoom like a 70-200mm to complement your 18-55mm kit lens.

The worst thing to do as a newbie is to jump onto the bandwagon and get lenses you'll never use. :)

In my opinion, if you are a noob, then get a 550D + 15-85 lens. Why?

1. 60D being heavier might have a toll on your hands if you aren't built for it (if you got big hands / muscular built, then forget this reason #1)
2. I feel 550D is more than enough for a noob to explore & learn photography. It's highly possible you'll upgrade later on but decide after you find out more along the way (about photography / other cameras)
3. I think 15-85 is a very good range with good IQ. Once again, you'll probably end up buying more lens in the future, so learn along the way n decide slowly :)

Photography's all about learning & enjoying at the same time. It's a bit wasted having super-many-functions camera n not really knowing how to use or get confused by them. It won't help in absorption of the knowledge etc. Oh well, that's just my opinion anyway! Enjoy the moments! :)

Thank you all for the suggestions. I think my preference is still 550d over 60d as 550d feels better in my hand and it's lighter for me. As for lenses. I really like 17-40 f4L as it's solid and gives really good IQ. I love the color and contrast.. But I am being warned about the shorter focal length of 17-40 that I might be limited to do certain things without the zoom. My thought is that I should be less lazy and move my feet more to train myself on getting nice composition instead of relying on the zoom too much. However, I do understand I will need the zoom under certain circumstances... 17-55 f2.8 seems a good choice and I read some v good reviews about it. But it weights a bit more and cost also more . I will try it with the 550D at the showroom...and give 60D another try to confirm my choice..
I am also planning to get 50 f1.8 which is cheap and will let me practice on the portraits. Thanks everyone. It's good to be able to learn from you guys... :D

first DSLR? Lost in choices?

Simple.

Get the 550D, choose the kit lens combi that best fits your budget, and go shoot until you sianz. By then you should know better in terms of what you need and what you are lacking. After that, you'll be able to decide better for yourself what you really need versus what others are saying you need.

IMO . 60d+17-55mm Is the best !!!!

first DSLR? Lost in choices?

Simple.

Get the 550D, choose the kit lens combi that best fits your budget, and go shoot until you sianz. By then you should know better in terms of what you need and what you are lacking. After that, you'll be able to decide better for yourself what you really need versus what others are saying you need.

Hi,

Have to agree with Sivakis statement. If you are new, I propose that you get Kit II lens thru Canon PPP http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717208 ; get a cheap/spoilt canon camera (any model) and participate in this program, read the first page for the full details.

Once you have understand what you really need, you can still keep the Kit II lens (18-135mm) as a overseas travel lens which can cover most focal length.

Then this is the best part, you would start to find that your pictures are lacking in something, maybe a shallow DOF, or maybe a nice creamy bokeh, or even a sharper corner to corner quality.
You would then start to research, google, surf CS more to find out more which type of lens is the one that you need. And you would start to find where to get the best deal for this lens, and finally you succumb your "weakness" and bought that lens to satisfy your needs.

This process, my fren, is priceless. It is better than to buy all the recommended lenses, then you were left wanting for more of this BBB virus.

cheers,

Have to disagree here...this process is priceMORE. Because, the BBB virus is no respecter of previous processes/immunity. I'm a carrier. :angel:

Hi,

This process, my fren, is priceless. It is better than to buy all the recommended lenses, then you were left wanting for more of this BBB virus.

cheers,

Just a suggestion,
I am not sure whether you have a prior photography experience before. Assuming that you haven't; even a 550D is an overkill (and same goes to those 17-55 and 17-40 lenses).

From what you have mentioned: "(60D is a liitle heavy) ", you have answered it yourself. If you are not so fussy with those extra features here and there, go for 550D.
For lenses: My suggestion is not to buy those expensive ones. Get a standard kit lens (which is just another $100+), and you'll find out whether you are really into a photography. Those 18-55mm is enough to answer many floating questions that you have (should I invest more, what do I need-wide, tele, macro, etc).

Buying an expensive ones is not precisely a form of investment. You will save a few hundreds, but, if you don't like it - you will lose few hundreds too. You can save/utilise your money somewhere else. Check out buy and sell section, if you just want to try photography (not a gear-graphy), grab those second hand 400/450D with a standard kit lens. Keep shooting until you know what you need and not what you want.

Cheers!