40D. sighhh

Status
Not open for further replies.

pplneedthelord

Sep 18, 2007
serangoon
i've got 2 issues i would like to ask.

firstly...
for 40D users (users who have used the 40D feel free to comment), do you guys experience a 2second delay when you press your shutter button when taking a shot? my 40D seems to have that problem. well, i'll be sending it for servicing on monday before i travel overseas. and also, my camera is still under a HK warranty, canon singapore won't accept that warranty card right?

next.
i've been asked by a church member to help take another church member's father in-law's funeral wake service over the next few days. now, this is my first time shooting a wake. is there anything i should take note of? is it advisable to use flash? i'll be bringing my tamron 17-50, 50 1.8 and a borrowed 85 1.8 and my 430EXII.

Thank You

hi

i don't suppose the 2 second delay thing is normal, unless your drive is at the 2 second timer of course. did you check if you configured something by accident? and did you only realise about the 2 second thingy recently? it couldn't have been like that since day 1 right?

im not sure on this, but i don't think flash should be used, and everything should be kept as silent as possible. i think it'd be best if you ask the next of kin directly.

Yupp I only realized it recently. Hmmm it's a 2nd hand body btw

To be frank you have to read the manuals. There's no short cuts to take good pictures.

To be frank you have to read the manuals. There's no short cuts to take good pictures.

eh? what are you refering to?

to TS, well i think if you've double confirm that your drive and other settings are normal, then u probably gotta check with CSC about your warranty, and get it fixed. i don't think you can live with the 2 second delay unless you only do shots on tripod :think:

Errr... I don't really think that's the main issue now. I'm just wanting to know whether people experience the same problem before

eh? what are you refering to?

to TS, well i think if you've double confirm that your drive and other settings are normal, then u probably gotta check with CSC about your warranty, and get it fixed. i don't think you can live with the 2 second delay unless you only do shots on tripod :think:

Yupp. Will do so on Monday. I gotta photograph the funeral wake this week

firstly...
for 40D users (users who have used the 40D feel free to comment), do you guys experience a 2second delay when you press your shutter button when taking a shot? my 40D seems to have that problem. well, i'll be sending it for servicing on monday before i travel overseas. and also, my camera is still under a HK warranty, canon singapore won't accept that warranty card right?

next.
i've been asked by a church member to help take another church member's father in-law's funeral wake service over the next few days. now, this is my first time shooting a wake. is there anything i should take note of? is it advisable to use flash? i'll be bringing my tamron 17-50, 50 1.8 and a borrowed 85 1.8 and my 430EXII.

Thank You

You have left your shot mode in "2 second timer" mode. Its not a problem that can manifest as a defect and yet your camera can function normally otherwise.

Take a look at that part of your settings and switch it off.

1) Its definitely not normal unless you have set your drive mode to 2 seconds delay. If the camera under warranty then best is bring back to CSC for full body check up.....

2) Don't think its wise to use flash. unlike wedding which is a joyous occasion, funeral is more solemn..and the last thing you want is to flash an unsuspecting griever.... if low light i think use big aperture or high iso lor. anyway, what does your friend wanna shoot outta funeral? the proceedings? cos some "pan tang" seniors did warn about where u shoot, for example funeral.:think:

Just my thoughts

bring ur cam to csc and ask them to check the shutter. its probably the shutter being sticky. they shld replace it foc if it is still under warranty.

i think its the shutter button consider you bought used 40d , mine also got this problem but it's still under canon singapore warranty so they repair it for free ( replace by new shutter spring ).

Mean while maybe you can try to used the AF-on button ( near the view finder ) to focus n then release using the front button. it's works for me until i have time to bring it to csc.

regards,

firstly...

CSC will not accept the HK Warranty. There's no Intl Warranty for camera bodies.

Slight delay most likely caused by worn shutter release (unless you've got the cam on timer). I've had it before. either there's a delay (not really 2 seconds) or you have to press down really hard.

The shutter release is about 20+. labour charge is 120.

What on earth are you talking about? Have you nothing specifically constructive to contribute to this thread?

----------

The 2-sec lag in your shutter release sounds like a problem I faced with my 30D last time. Go to CSC and check it out. They should be able to repair the contact within the shutter release circuitry.

With regards to wakes, I've shot two wakes for my church, and at both, I did not use flash at all. I don't think it's wise to use flash, as it is very distracting, especially at such a solemn event.

I used fast glass on both occasions, and switched on the silent shutter recocking on my camera (1-series thing). Just try and be as unobtrusive as possible, and be sensitive.

You have left your shot mode in "2 second timer" mode. Its not a problem that can manifest as a defect and yet your camera can function normally otherwise.

Take a look at that part of your settings and switch it off.

i'm very sure i'll be aware if my 2 sec timer is on yea? :)

1) Its definitely not normal unless you have set your drive mode to 2 seconds delay. If the camera under warranty then best is bring back to CSC for full body check up.....

2) Don't think its wise to use flash. unlike wedding which is a joyous occasion, funeral is more solemn..and the last thing you want is to flash an unsuspecting griever.... if low light i think use big aperture or high iso lor. anyway, what does your friend wanna shoot outta funeral? the proceedings? cos some "pan tang" seniors did warn about where u shoot, for example funeral.:think:

Just my thoughts

(2)
actually i seriously have no idea. i''m just giving them a hand in whatever they want or need me to do. thats why i'm asking here for more information.

i think its the shutter button consider you bought used 40d , mine also got this problem but it's still under canon singapore warranty so they repair it for free ( replace by new shutter spring ).

Mean while maybe you can try to used the AF-on button ( near the view finder ) to focus n then release using the front button. it's works for me until i have time to bring it to csc.

regards,

thanks. so just to be clear with everyone, canon will probably change the shutter or the shutter spring is it? hopefully the problem lies with the spring, the shutter count is less than 10K :eek:

CSC will not accept the HK Warranty. There's no Intl Warranty for camera bodies.

Slight delay most likely caused by worn shutter release (unless you've got the cam on timer). I've had it before. either there's a delay (not really 2 seconds) or you have to press down really hard.

okay so i guess i'll need to pay for the full cost. sighhh. hmmm so if the shutter release aka shutter spring(?) is about $20+, what about a new shutter? more expensive i would assume...

What on earth are you talking about? Have you nothing specifically constructive to contribute to this thread?

----------

The 2-sec lag in your shutter release sounds like a problem I faced with my 30D last time. Go to CSC and check it out. They should be able to repair the contact within the shutter release circuitry.

With regards to wakes, I've shot two wakes for my church, and at both, I did not use flash at all. I don't think it's wise to use flash, as it is very distracting, especially at such a solemn event.

I used fast glass on both occasions, and switched on the silent shutter recocking on my camera (1-series thing). Just try and be as unobtrusive as possible, and be sensitive.

i see. was your camera still under warranty then? if it wasn't did you need to pay alot for it?

alright. so would a f/2.8 and f/1.8 be fast enough. should be right?

bring ur cam to csc and ask them to check the shutter. its probably the shutter being sticky. they shld replace it foc if it is still under warranty.

hehe. oh well, i'm just hopping canon doesn't burn a hole in my wallet. i just got my pay man!

oooohhhh ... didnt see that the cam is a grey set. :)

TS, is it every shutter release will have a 2s delay? If yes, most likely your camera had set a 2s self-timer operation delay, pls refer to 40D operation manual page 82.

Hoep this help.

TS, is it every shutter release will have a 2s delay? If yes, most likely your camera had set a 2s self-timer operation delay, pls refer to 40D operation manual page 82.

Hoep this help.

well guys please try to read the replies that follow TS questions.

i think the 2sec shutter release/drive mode thing has mentioned many times already, TS has already said his 40D is NOT on the 2sec drive mode. i would think that he would have checked it before, and even if he didn't, the many reminders would have already prompted him to do.

so in case we get anymore repeats, the 2s self-timer operation delay is not the problem .....

Agree with this bro, the shutter button maybe 'coz the mechanical thing inside is intermittent. I think its around 50sgd for the replacement and labour. They probably can do it for 2 days,better ask the xmm on frontdesk.:lovegrin::D

Status
Not open for further replies.