400D upgrade!

ShiNn

Nov 26, 2006
Hi guys/gals,

I am looking for a second opinion about my decision to upgrade to a 7D. Currently i own the following equipment and I'm thinking of upgrading to a 7D.

- EOS 400D + Batt Grip
- 17-40mm f/4 L
- 50mm f/1.8 II
- Speedlite 430 Ex II
- Powershot S90

However, due to lack of funds. I need to sell some of my equipment to buy! :(
I need some advice on what is good for sale and I can top up around 400 to upgrade.

Pls advice, anyone?

Thanks!

sell all but not 430EX, then get 7D w/ 15-85 IS kit.

if i were you, i will just save up more til have enuff money for the new body.

all ur lenses and accessoriess is ok to keep. :)

selling 400D not worth it.
better keep as a backup camera. THis is what I have done.

Hi guys/gals,

I am looking for a second opinion about my decision to upgrade to a 7D. Currently i own the following equipment and I'm thinking of upgrading to a 7D.

- EOS 400D + Batt Grip
- 17-40mm f/4 L
- 50mm f/1.8 II
- Speedlite 430 Ex II
- Powershot S90

I need some advice on what is good for sale and I can top up around 400 to upgrade.

Pls advice, anyone?

Thanks!

Ok let me evaluate your equipment value first...

An approximate value

- EOS 400D + Batt Grip ($500~600)
- 17-40mm f/4 L ($800~900)
- 50mm f/1.8 II ($100)
- Speedlite 430 Ex II ($400)
- Powershot S90

Total shld be ard $1.8 ~$1.9k (+$400) = $2.3k

IMO, i think you shld keep your 17-40F4 and if possible top up $200-300 for a second hand 5D....

Sell 400D+BG & S90.... keep lenses and flash. :thumbsup:

May I ask the reason why you would like to upgrade? Is the 400D holding you back in anyway? :dunno:

What kind of photography do you do? If don't need flash, sell it. Can always buy it back.
If u rather keep the flash, wait a bit longer to store up "ammo". Another 400 will be sweet.

7D is ideal for sports, but you have a 17-40 and 50 mm. Seems like you'd want some new glass too? :think:

Ever consider 50D? Or even the new 550D?

I would suggest keeping all ur glasses and flash, maybe S90 can sell. Cuz you cant be buying a 7D body only and shoot without any glass right?

Hi guys/gals,

- EOS 400D + Batt Grip
- 17-40mm f/4 L
- 50mm f/1.8 II
- Speedlite 430 Ex II
- Powershot S90

Pls advice, anyone?

Thanks!

Hi,
I was also a 400D user before getting my 7D.

The only equipment that you have that's worth selling would be your Powershot S90 (not that it would fetch a good price but the other equipments are worth keeping until you get a better lens to replace).

Try not to sell your external flash because upon getting your 7D you could use the wireless transmitter system to control the external flash on a shoe mount.

If you're short of 400 bucks or so, i'd suggest you pick up a part time job or something so you need not sell off your equipment.

Cheers!

Why you only thinking of selling camera stuffs?
What abt selling other stuffs. Like computer, Wii, PS2, DSi, PSP, MP3 player, TV and etc.....
(If you own it)

Just kidding only......;)

If not why not work extra part time to save more $$$$.....

Just a suggestion only.

Ok serious suggestion,
Why not invest into lens? rather than camera.
the value of the lens will still more less maintain but camera price will drop after a while.

save $$$ for now....

I think many ppl are infected by 7D BBB virus now......:think:

TS...what u find lacking? what do u shoot more? for example, i realised that im a wide angled person so that's why i sold my 50 f/1.4, downgrade to 50 f/1.8II, used the money and got myself the 17-40 to replace my 18-55. i feel that your set-up is worth keeping. why don't u consider a 500D? it's selling pretty cheap now. or a 550D? no point selling lenses we need for a better body which we don't really need. 7D abit hardcore if u aren't shooting sports, travelling thru extreme weathers and when it exceeds your budget. i'd rather a 500D + 17-55 f/2.8 than a 7D + 18-55 anyday. u catch my drift?

Hi,

THanks all, for your replies.

The 400D has its own limitations too. I would like to have better ISO range and noise control. On that part, the 400D can't satisfy my needs for better ISO control. All other functions of it is perfectly fine with me. I'm a very satisfied and happy user for that. I have bought the 400D since the first day that it was launched and have been using it for 3 years plus since 2006. I think I have outgrown that camera and its time for me to upgrade. haha.

I would say, I shoot more on landscapes, outdoor, indoor and sports. Seldom will I do portraits shoot and macro. Thus, I will need to have a wide angle lens and a telephoto.

The 17-40mm f/4 L and the Speedlite 430 EX II are the items that I am considering to keep. Those will be the critical items in aiding my shooting.

I wouldn't consider the xxxD series as its handling will be too small for me. I prefer the xxD or xD series where the size of the body will be biigger and it is more stable. (thou heavier)

I am still in a dilenma on it. Pls advice further.

Thanks!

Hi,

THanks all, for your replies.

The 400D has its own limitations too. I would like to have better ISO range and noise control. On that part, the 400D can't satisfy my needs for better ISO control. All other functions of it is perfectly fine with me. I'm a very satisfied and happy user for that. I have bought the 400D since the first day that it was launched and have been using it for 3 years plus since 2006. I think I have outgrown that camera and its time for me to upgrade. haha.

I would say, I shoot more on landscapes, outdoor, indoor and sports. Seldom will I do portraits shoot and macro. Thus, I will need to have a wide angle lens and a telephoto.

The 17-40mm f/4 L and the Speedlite 430 EX II are the items that I am considering to keep. Those will be the critical items in aiding my shooting.

I wouldn't consider the xxxD series as its handling will be too small for me. I prefer the xxD or xD series where the size of the body will be biigger and it is more stable. (thou heavier)

I am still in a dilenma on it. Pls advice further.

Thanks!

I think for your case, I would advise you get the 5DM2 instead. I don't think the 7D can satisfy your better ISO control.

Hi Anson,

I would like to get 5D2 too. However, the cost of the body. I can't really afford it as it is too much for me to bear. My next best alternative would be the 7D with its dual sensor. Used my friend's 7D before and the noise control is fantastic. (considering that it is a crop sensor)

7D got dual sensor meh?? i thought its juz dual processor?? ok...btw 550D claims to have ISO performance like 7D. but u already said u dun like the size. so...that leaves with 7D. 50D sure can't satisfy ur ISO thirst. At ISO 3200...the images aren't always nice to see. ISO 1600 is the best it can do without significant noise. 7D can do 3200 and still look great. so i guess u are left with 7D. 7D + 17-40 + 70-200 f/2.8 + 430EXII....nice! wad u think?

why dont you wait for the 550D which ships in march? It specs certainly makes it the best bang for buck judging from your budget.

Hi Anson,

I would like to get 5D2 too. However, the cost of the body. I can't really afford it as it is too much for me to bear. My next best alternative would be the 7D with its dual sensor. Used my friend's 7D before and the noise control is fantastic. (considering that it is a crop sensor)

Have you consider the 5D instead. The noise-level is noticeably different if you are using a FF then a crop.

Last edited: