30D Viewfinder Fallen Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, just yesterday, the viewfinder on my 30D came loose when I was trying to clean the inside by blower. Apparantly, the viewfinder can come right out easily when a small tab inside of the mirror box is pushed. The whole thing will spring right off. Well, so it resulted in 3 parts coming loose. A metal bracket that holds it all into place, a matte plastic viewfinder "glass" and a copper rectangular shim. Since it all dropped onto the floor, the plastic viewfinder got scratched. Managed to piece it back together using some instructions for replacing the viewfinder found on the net. Well, now the viewfinder is full of dust and scratch marks. Does anyone have an idea of how much it might cost to replace and clean up the viewfinder by Canon Service Centre? I know I should just go down and ask a quotation but I don't know how much I should bring.

Yes, its a very small and fragile plastic viewfinder easily scratched by fingernail. Its softer then even those chepo CD jewel case. Theres one more clear cover on which the AF squares is etched onto. Thats even more scratchable. Its not removable by far and blocks entry to the pentaprism. However, its loose in is postion and dust CAN go in and behind. Mine's scratched at the sides too as the pieces fell out. Haiz, so depressing to have a viewfinder full of scratches.

I guess just bring it down to the svc centre.

nikon svc centre accepts nets (not sure abt credit/debit) canon prob accepts it too.
cant imagine paying CASH to repair a super tele!

Around $20-25, if it is the same cost as replacing a 10D or D30 focusing screen.

Hi Josh,

I saw you at Canon Service Centre earlier on, looks bad to me.
Hope it won't cost much. ALL THE BEST.

HEY, it's time for 5D or 1D series unless you like 1Ds series.
I know you are eyeing for 5D

It's not time. Don't listen to Jeromevo :)

I also hope you get it fixed cheaply :D

Canon Service Centre quoted about $20 to clean viewfinder alone and $30 to replace the focusing screens. They said they will also check for any damage to the pentaprism which would cost $75 to replace. It should be about $50 w/o changing the pentaprism.

Will check back here once I can collect it.

I just got my camera back today. The viewfinder is all fixed up and clean!

For infomation sake, I'll quote how much it costs to replace the parts.
Screen Mounting - $8
Focusing Screen - $5
AF screen - $17
Service is $20

Disclaimer: This is just some reference data. In no way will it accurately reflect what Canon will charge you if you face the same problem. Canon Singapore reserves the right to alter these prices as they see fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.