3 different shades from D70 + 17-35mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempus

Apr 13, 2005
DSC_1141_copy.jpg

DSC_1134_copy.jpg

DSC_1140_copy.JPG

Just wondering if anyone faced this problem? Is it a lens or body problem basically ? If its a body, is it AWB or matrix metering screwed ?

There is a yellow , red shades of difference constantly changing. After taking 10 pics, i can see that there are many variations. I am using matrix metering, AWB.
http://gallery.clubsnap.com/data/500/DSC_1140_copy.JPG

Tempus said:
Just wondering if anyone faced this problem? Is it a lens or body problem basically ? If its a body, is it AWB or matrix metering screwed ?

There is a yellow , red shades of difference constantly changing. After taking 10 pics, i can see that there are many variations. I am using matrix metering, AWB.
Looks like an AWB problem. The colour balance of the picture varies from shot to shot. You can try setting to Cloudy WB -1 (Cloudy simulates daylight film and I find that by using -1, it is slightly warmer). See if you get consistent results (you should). What kind of lighting did you shoot under?

D70 auto white balance is like that...always come out different shades....happen to me on the D70 also.... :)

But I normally shoot RAW and fine tune the white balance in capture later on....

From a digital workflow viewpoint, it may be better to start off with your best-guessed WB but not an AWB; especially for indoors where the AWB of the D50/D70/D70S is not too consistent. This would make your postprocessing much easier.

As mentioned by fellow CSers above, shooting in RAW will gives you more flexibility.

Hi,
If you wannna stick to Jpeg and not Raw, you can do a test shot and manually set WB, and/ or later, your experence and eyes will get more seasones and tuned to realising the colour casts in different situations, and you will select the WB accordingly...

The advantage have using digital is that you can do test shots first... :)

Cheers!
Caomhin

From my experience, if its taken indoors, you shld note whether any sunlight is present. Sunlight + artificial light will sometimes cause the WB to go haywire.

Ok thanks guys, seems like this is a WB problem. I've never seen such variation of shades with other lens though. Seems like a preset WB would work.

All these are taken indoors with sunlight through the window. No artificial light

By the this only happens without flash. Flash WB seems to be ok.

Does anyone know if D200 AWB algorithm would be better for indoors without flash ?

Who defines WB and it's colours? Humans...

Human algorithmns can only do so much. Most of the work thereby lies with the photographer. Cameras never produce exactly down to 1 Kelvin of temperature accurately.

Changing DSLRs won't help.

espn said:

Human algorithmns can only do so much. Most of the work thereby lies with the photographer. Cameras never produce exactly down to 1 Kelvin of temperature accurately.

Well I'm definitely not changing :) Just wondering Nikon ever improves their algorithm in new cam. Frankly speaking, i don't see this on my d2h. Yes I have to do a little more on the d70 to get the right balance, but it sure makes life easier if the algorithm produced give a near result, not perfect, but near.

Remember, some of us have few hundreds of photos to submit a day, so RAW is not an option. Using Preset WB is a work-around, but ultimately there has to be a solution.

hahah D70 AWB rocks right? :bsmilie: get used to it, my old D70 was like this as well.. I cannot understand how to use the 1005 pixel metered AWB properly or how it works in that matter, that I gave up using the D70 some time back. It is now sitting in my dry-box.

I prefer my point and shoot Fuji F11 now. Cheaper and easier to carry around.

otherwise, do a search about D70's AWB, you'll find shooting RAW then converting to JPEG is quite a common option recommended by many seasoned and pro :thumbsup: shooters time and time again whenever someone complains about D70's AWB. I tried that only once or twice and I think I'm too lazy to do all that, so DSLR is too high level for me. Too "ley chey" lah cos I like to shoot not tweak.

Other options I've encountered along the way is doing custom WB, but I find it overly troublesome also, imagine if I walk from my pt A(in the sun) to pt B 3 meters away but under a tree I have to custom WB. then go back pt A custom WB again..:sweat: reminds me of story at a concert when there was this guy who kept doing custom WB whenever the lighting changed.

I personally feel that although the AWB can't be accurate to the environment or what the eyes perceive, at least it should be consistent. Meaning all the 3 photos above could have been consistently warm, or consistently cool but flucuating green/red/blue :confused:

Learn ways to work around the tool's short coming - Learn RAW :thumbsup:

OT: cute maltese model. arrange TFCD someday?

Tempus said:
Well I'm definitely not changing :) Just wondering Nikon ever improves their algorithm in new cam. Frankly speaking, i don't see this on my d2h. Yes I have to do a little more on the d70 to get the right balance, but it sure makes life easier if the algorithm produced give a near result, not perfect, but near.

Remember, some of us have few hundreds of photos to submit a day, so RAW is not an option. Using Preset WB is a work-around, but ultimately there has to be a solution.
woah.. why would you want to use a D70 when you have a D2h?!

yanyewkay said:

Good point :) but RAW is still not an option! Editor nagging can be quite bad :p

Haha thanks! its a cross between a poodle, five years old and still like a baby! :p

Tempus said:

You missed my point totally.

A camera sensor only understands light, it doesn't understand colours. Humans can only try their very best to do the colour decoding, in this sense, for D70, it's the LSI processing.

There is no sure hit, neither a sure miss.

A few hundred of photos I can finish up in about 2-3 hours? If your livelihood depends so much on it, then this is not a factor to really worry about and you should deliver just on time based on your workflow + shooting.

The solution is simple, since you mention the D2H doesn't have this issue, shoot with D2H.

yanyewkay said:
hahah D70 AWB rocks right? :bsmilie: get used to it, my old D70 was like this as well.. I cannot understand how to use the 1005 pixel metered AWB properly or how it works in that matter, that I gave up using the D70 some time back. It is now sitting in my dry-box.

otherwise, do a search about D70's AWB, you'll find shooting RAW then converting to JPEG is quite a common option recommended by many seasoned and pro :thumbsup: shooters time and time again whenever someone complains about D70's AWB. I tried that only once or twice and I think I'm too lazy to do all that, so DSLR is too high level for me. Too "ley chey" lah cos I like to shoot not tweak.

Other options I've encountered along the way is doing custom WB, but I find it overly troublesome also, imagine if I walk from my pt A(in the sun) to pt B 3 meters away but under a tree I have to custom WB. then go back pt A custom WB again..:sweat: reminds me of story at a concert when there was this guy who kept doing custom WB whenever the lighting changed.

I personally feel that although the AWB can't be accurate to the environment or what the eyes perceive, at least it should be consistent. Meaning all the 3 photos above could have been consistently warm, or consistently cool but flucuating green/red/blue :confused:

Funnily, when I owned the D70, I never had a WB issue, probably off by 1-500K++ but never as mentioned.
With flash or without.

Tempus said:
Good point :) but RAW is still not an option! Editor nagging can be quite bad :p

Haha thanks! its a cross between a poodle, five years old and still like a baby! :p
Who defines it's an option or not? It lies with the person itself who wants to get it done or not.

yanyewkay said:

The 1005 pixel colour metering cannot tell if you're shooting trees or skies or just about anything. What it can tell you is the metering to use even if there is a colour bias. So if your scene is predominantly biased to one colour, it will probably try to correct for that in AWB, which you would not want.

I don't understand why people are so obsessed with AWB or custom WB. When we shoot film, we don't change the film type whenever the lighting change. To be honest, I have never used tungsten film in my nearly 15 years of shooting.

I only use daylight film balanced for 6500K, so I don't see why I should not just stick to using a 6500K WB for everything I shoot on digital as well. Unless I want simulate white light when using tungsten floodlamps do I need to change the WB. Otherwise the mood given by that certain lighting condition would be lost.

Especially for theatre, I don't see a need to change WB at all. By doing that, the painstaking work by the lighting designers would have been negated.

espn said:

:thumbsup: Even the lighting colour temperature will not be accurate to 1K.

Status
Not open for further replies.