2nd opinion to my FF upgrade.

vignetting

Mar 14, 2011
I am now in a very agonizing type of situation today which I believe it will last for 4 months. (4th months is the month that my saving is enough plus the money from selling my current equipment)

I have decided to upgrade my photography hobby to full frame system. I want to satisfy my "want", and since it is only a "want", I will to make sure that all of my $$$ is money worth spent. It should be like 1 shot 1 kill and never go back.

I own a nikon d7k and it is a really a good camera. I own a tokina 11-16, nikkor 18-105, and 50mm 1.8. All of my equipments have reached 1 year this month, warranty expired.

Now the situation is like this. I want to try canon systems, more specifically Canon 5d mk3 with 24-106L. Hoever, the nikkor 50mm 1.8 is the one that is holding me back. That is because, I can buy nikon d800 body and attach my current 50mm to save cost. Then save for another 6 to 10 agonizing moths for a better lense. This option saves me money for a time being and enjoy FF system but I could not get the full potential of FF since I'm only limitted to 50mm.

Or I could sell all of them and bite the dust. Then head on to canon 5dmk 3 with 24-105L.

Question now is... Is it worthit to sell my 50mm 1.8 and head on to canon. Or is it worth it to keep my 50mm 1.8 and head on to nikon body just to save cost? Both cameras are great. It's just the 50mm 1.8!

I need second opinion.....

p.s

im not familiar with FF + 50mm so i cant gague the focal range...

Last edited:
imo, the price of the 50 1.8 is peanuts compared to what you will be paying for for the FF camera body you have shortlisted. To hold back on purchase on either camp (C or N) is (sorry) laughable. Since it's a want, you should go for what fits in your hands the most. If you like the Nikon ergonomics, get Nikon, else, Canon.

And also imo, you said 1 shot 1 kill and never go back, If given the choice and $$, I'll hit hard at 5D mkIII with 24-105.

well...between the 5D3 and D800..both are very different camera body all together. So IMO you should decide which 1 and then settle with it. You should consider this rather than simply a 50mm 1.8 cheap plastic lens.

No offense but somewhat..i find you're worrying on the wrong things...

First time I've heard someone held back from jumping ship because of a 50mm f1.8:bsmilie: just get the one you want and don't compromise, you might regret in the future.

IMO, you should just get the D800/E and be done with it.
The 50/1.8 is fully capable of nice photos.
Add on the other Nikon stuffs as you go along.

You still retain the ability to shoot like a D7K for your crop sensor lenses. (15.4mp in crop mode)

look beyond the 50/f1.8 from either camp.

it should be the last worry on your list.

the current important task for you, is to determine whether you 'want' the D800 or 5DMK3.

both are different beasts to begin with, though they are within the same full-frame arena.

you can mount your tokina 11-16 on ur full frame u know. The only issue is that it only works properly at 16mm. But hell, 16mm on a FF is good enough. lol.

I thought this time round D800 is much better than 5d Mk3 in terms of IQ. why jump?

For me, I try not to jump ship each time rival brand launch a "better" camera body. lose a lot of money selling the lenses

Since it's only a "want" without any "need" it's purely wasting money. It has been elaborated in depth and detail that better gear won't yield better pictures in an instant. If you can afford it you don't need a second opinion. Just spend the money and be happy, why worry about this 1.8 lens?

wow for someone who do not even know FF + 50 mm is what focal range sure does need FF. Carry on do what you want, why need second opinion?

It's your money to spend, but if going full-frame is such a strain financially, I'd advise you to stick to your current gear. You have a great set-up as it is. It may be more useful to spend on short holiday or course, or create some other opportunity to enjoy the hobby!

If you go ahead, don't let the 50/1.8 hold you back. As others have pointed out, it's an inexpensive lens.

P.S. The phrase "bite the dust" means to be killed. I think you mean "bite the bullet". Unless perhaps the cost of the FF system is gonna kill you!

Last edited:
Funny why the focus is on 50mm?
But as pointed out better to stick to one camp, lose money changing lens

Just to let you all know that I am reading all your replies and have heard what I need to hear.

No offense taken to straight replies. All that matters to me is your point.

I am going to answer few questions just to clarify, I do not need to argue because it defeats the purpose of asking for a second opinion :)

1. I hold back to 50mm 1.8 to save cost, nikon doesn't come up with bundle kit for d800
2. I like to try canon system. Canon got bundle 24-105 which makes it appealing

and btw thanks for the correction! keep on coming!

If you want FF and really want to save money..

Just get the D700... Can get it new now for less than 2500. With the money saved from not getting the 5dm3 or D800, you can buy a 16-35VR...

There is always a sudden urge of BBB. If you have difficulties to own a full frame body, stick with DX for a while more. And shoot till you know what you do not know. What do you think?

from the way you elaborated your situation, it seems like you are really tight on cash and you want us to justify your decision to go FF.

Frankly speaking D7000, tokina 11-16, nikkor 18-105, and 50mm 1.8 combination is a very versatile setup. You can ditch the body and the DX lenses to fund for your D800/ 5D3 but that's it. You left with very little cash on hand and you have to save up again for FX lenses. By the time you save up enough cash there might be D900/ 5D4 on the horizon and you will be itchy for another "want"... the cycle repeats itself again.

I have a friend who went the same route as you: he sold his D300s and a handful of lens and now he is a proud owner of a Nikon D4, with a 50mm f/1.8D. My friend is saving up for the holy trinity f/2.8 zooms but with his salary I guess that will be another 2-3 years.

Personally I would rather sit down and list out why I need to go FF and whether there are workaround that allows my D7000 to achieve something similar to FF. Your lust for the 24-105L can easily be cured with Nikon 24-120 f/4 VR. Nowadays it seems like a norm for people to go FF just for the sake of wanting a FF body. :dunno:

ya why do you want to go FF in the first place? Both systems have it's own pros and cons. You sure you understand what you are getting into? =.=

Hi TS, it always better to have some cash in the pocket rather than to spend every single cent after months of saving .