2nd opinion to my FF upgrade.

Hi TS, it always better to have some cash in the pocket rather than to spend every single cent after months of saving .

Agreed. TS, I do not know how well you are financially, but I would suggest saving some money for rainy days especially with the current volatile market.
Afterall photography is just a hobby (Dont think you earn money from it at the moment). Splurge only when you have excess money to spend on it.

With the capability of modern day APS-C sensors there are very few real reasons to go FF.

Even professionals nowadays prefer to just stick with the smaller and lighter APS-C bodies.

Shahmatt said:
With the capability of modern day APS-C sensors there are very few real reasons to go FF.

Even professionals nowadays prefer to just stick with the smaller and lighter APS-C bodies.

By "professionals" you mean freelancers who might be students, office workers etc or real professionals who do their work with Full Frame cameras?

There are still distinct differences between what a Full Frame sensor (and larger formats) can do compared to APS-C sensors.

Both formats still have their pros and cons though. But even with them, do you know why those who chose Photography as their career still use Full Frame cameras?

Last edited:

You are joking right ?

hmm... I am not sure where you got that information from....

Especially nowadays FF and MF camera bodies are selling much better than ever before.... :dunno:

Last edited:
well maybe he means professional photographers doing non serious photography... Perhaps personal travel or just having fun....

In any rate, I'm taking some of your advices as a grain of salt. Some advice did hit me hard though... :)

Last edited:
well maybe he means professional photographers doing non serious photography... Perhaps personal travel or just having fun....

In any rate, I'm taking some of your advices as a grain of salt. Some advice did hit me hard though... :)

To upgrade or not, it is when you find your current gears are not able to perform at it's best under certain conditions, and had already reached it's limitations.

If it does, then it's time to upgrade. :)

Some 'pros' (or at the least well know photography bloggers) have indeed turned to smaller cameras as part of their range of systems, but they typically shoot with a variety of systems/formats as the job requires.
I won't go as far as saying that they stick to smaller APS-C bodies only.

Kirk Tuck - various but quite a bit of m4/3 (Sony SLT too); The Visual Science Lab / Kirk Tuck
Benjamin Kanarek - Pentax APS-C + various; Benjamin Kanarek Blog
Robin Wong - mostly 4/3 and m4/3; Robin Wong
Mike Johnston - has a m4/3; The Online Photographer
Ming Thein - OMD+Nikon FF; Ming Thein | Photographer
Trey Ratchiff - Stuck In Customs | HDR Photography, Travel Photography and Camera Reviews

Shahmatt said:

Just because you see a professional with a crop body doesn't mean he don't have a Fullframe camera. Different sensor sizes cater to different needs. Professionals uses different cameras for different situations.

I am now in a very agonizing type of situation today which I believe it will last for 4 months. (4th months is the month that my saving is enough plus the money from selling my current equipment)

I have decided to upgrade my photography hobby to full frame system. I want to satisfy my "want", and since it is only a "want", I will to make sure that all of my $$$ is money worth spent. It should be like 1 shot 1 kill and never go back.

I own a nikon d7k and it is a really a good camera. I own a tokina 11-16, nikkor 18-105, and 50mm 1.8. All of my equipments have reached 1 year this month, warranty expired.

Now the situation is like this. I want to try canon systems, more specifically Canon 5d mk3 with 24-106L. Hoever, the nikkor 50mm 1.8 is the one that is holding me back. That is because, I can buy nikon d800 body and attach my current 50mm to save cost. Then save for another 6 to 10 agonizing moths for a better lense. This option saves me money for a time being and enjoy FF system but I could not get the full potential of FF since I'm only limitted to 50mm.

Or I could sell all of them and bite the dust. Then head on to canon 5dmk 3 with 24-105L.

Question now is... Is it worthit to sell my 50mm 1.8 and head on to canon. Or is it worth it to keep my 50mm 1.8 and head on to nikon body just to save cost? Both cameras are great. It's just the 50mm 1.8!

I need second opinion.....

p.s

im not familiar with FF + 50mm so i cant gague the focal range...

Not sure why you would want to try canon system, but , it will probably be more economical to stick with Nikon. D700 / D800 are very capable FF cameras.

Ryan

I would would say look at what you are shooting currently and what you intend to shoot in the future. That will give you an indication what you need out of a camera system. Who knows, it maybe that FF is not suitable for you in the end.

If you are not sure what you want in terms what you will be shooting, then better stick to your current camera and invest in better/different lenses. You may not have fully utilize/understand your current camera system.

A good read from the below article will illustrate my point.

The Rashomon Effect
http://www.petapixel.com/2012/06/25/the-rashomon-effect-and-my-small-camera-choice/

For me, it's clear what I want. I needed a very capable low light camera (plus good overall performance) hence I chose 5D3 which is a good 3-4 stops better in low light performance over APS-C. so what is your compelling point to choose either D800 or 5D3 or even a Lecia M9. What are pros and cons if you were to switch. You will need to know this when you spend your hard earn money so that you dun regret later.

My 2 cents worth :)

why go thru agony over a hobby where its supposed to be enjoyed?

buy a 2nd hand D700, use the different in saving and sales of your DX lens to get FX lens (nothing wrong with pre-own).

most importantly enjoy and take more pictures!

TS. You may have to upgrade your PC and harddisk as well when you get the D800...

thanks for all the sharing!!!

why go thru agony over a hobby where its supposed to be enjoyed?

buy a 2nd hand D700, use the different in saving and sales of your DX lens to get FX lens (nothing wrong with pre-own).

most importantly enjoy and take more pictures!

lol... guys here did have similar advice like you.... I read other forums and they said the same thing!

I can still use my Tokina 11-16 with nikon d800 right? Some say there is an option to select fx or dx in d800, is it true?

hi TS, this is an interesting thread and i'm learning quite a lot from the various opinions here as well :)
thankfully i'm not in your situation because i am a student and simply cannot afford the money for a FF! but i'm a fellow D7k user as well, and my D7K is fast reaching 3/4 years of usage
i haven't grown sick of it at all, in fact it's my pride and joy and i affectionately call it nikky.
i think there's a question that's begging to be asked and that's "what do you normally shoot" and whether that would justify a FF camera. since you're using a tokina 11-16, most of us would assume that you shoot a fair bit of landscape and thus the reasonable desire to switch over to a FF
but if that's the case, then why a d800 (or 5dmkIII) and not a d700 (or 5dmkII) instead? i think you have already answered that: because it's a want
but the thing is you're kind of "attaining" 2 "levels" of desire here: from a camera that would suit landscape (assuming you do such stuff, sorry i haven't searched your posts to see if you posted any pictures) or low light stuff, to the newest camera that would suit those areas of photography
i think i've been faced with similar situations before: it starts off with a desire but eventually it ends up as an obsession that somehow "needs" to be fulfilled. I think i'll have to painfully learn how to overcome this.
from my humble point of view, i'd suggest you hold on to the D7K (because personal experience tells me that it's a really great camera! NSC fixed my oil splatter problem for free too!)
if not, then i'd advice against jumping ship to Canon (i jumped over from Canon and it was really a hassle to get new lenses)
but really, as a prudent measure, i think all of us should try to save for a rainy day. if anything, you could donate some money to charity :) it'd go a really long way! you might even want to spend some money to go for a holiday to Cambodia or some less privileged country and maybe help out at an orphanage there or something. i'm quite certain that would help. i realise i might be sidetracking, but i did the same thing myself and it was one of the best experiences in my life!

lol... guys here did have similar advice like you.... I read other forums and they said the same thing!

I can still use my Tokina 11-16 with nikon d800 right? Some say there is an option to select fx or dx in d800, is it true?

Yes, D800 has crop mode at ~15mp, which is about the same as your D7000 (with the same pixel pitch even), so in other words its like you still had your D7k. ;)

hi TS, this is an interesting thread and i'm learning quite a lot from the various opinions here as well :)
thankfully i'm not in your situation because i am a student and simply cannot afford the money for a FF! but i'm a fellow D7k user as well, and my D7K is fast reaching 3/4 years of usage
i haven't grown sick of it at all, in fact it's my pride and joy and i affectionately call it nikky.
i think there's a question that's begging to be asked and that's "what do you normally shoot" and whether that would justify a FF camera. since you're using a tokina 11-16, most of us would assume that you shoot a fair bit of landscape and thus the reasonable desire to switch over to a FF
but if that's the case, then why a d800 (or 5dmkIII) and not a d700 (or 5dmkII) instead? i think you have already answered that: because it's a want
but the thing is you're kind of "attaining" 2 "levels" of desire here: from a camera that would suit landscape (assuming you do such stuff, sorry i haven't searched your posts to see if you posted any pictures) or low light stuff, to the newest camera that would suit those areas of photography
i think i've been faced with similar situations before: it starts off with a desire but eventually it ends up as an obsession that somehow "needs" to be fulfilled. I think i'll have to painfully learn how to overcome this.
from my humble point of view, i'd suggest you hold on to the D7K (because personal experience tells me that it's a really great camera! NSC fixed my oil splatter problem for free too!)
if not, then i'd advice against jumping ship to Canon (i jumped over from Canon and it was really a hassle to get new lenses)
but really, as a prudent measure, i think all of us should try to save for a rainy day. if anything, you could donate some money to charity :) it'd go a really long way! you might even want to spend some money to go for a holiday to Cambodia or some less privileged country and maybe help out at an orphanage there or something. i'm quite certain that would help. i realise i might be sidetracking, but i did the same thing myself and it was one of the best experiences in my life!

thanks! you did nailed it!

I think the priority for you is to clearly identify and acknowledge yourself : what is your hobby? Is it photography or photography equipment upgrading. Upgrading to a better camera gives you a higher possibility of taking better pictures, but does not guarantee that you will take better pictures. Of course it's always nice to have new gadgets to play with, but if you can't make the full use out of the camera, chances are that you will get bored of it quickly and move on.

My advice is to determine what you shoot most of the time, and decide if FF is really suited for your kind of photography. I think that you have a quite a good range of lenses actually, perhaps rather than getting a FF camera right off, you can try other alternatives to achieve your photography aims, ie: alternative lenses, trying to look at your usual photography themes from a different angle etc etc. If you really have to buy something to satisfy your desire and justify it by insisting that it will improve your photography, you can try buying prime lenses. Instant improved sharpness and contrast, instant satisfaction.

New cameras pop out all the time, there's no need for you to hurry to get one. Who knows? In 4 months when you have saved enough money, the FF D600 will be out, and it might suit you even better.

Wow, a very good conversation. It helps others for their decision moving to FF.

TS,
I am a proud owner of D7K with Tamron 17-55mm/Nikkor 35mm/1.8, these lens serves me great time. I had Tokina 11-16 as well, but I lately realized the usage was very very little unless I shoot landscapes. There's a huge "want" for me moving towards FF just like you, Before D800 release I was thinking of getting a used D700.
There's no point getting a new one unless you are gaining some money out it, so have plans to get used one only. By then D800 was announced and my cravings started for it. And price is sky high, so I thought to wait for some more time untill it's price comes down. By then heard about Entry level FF Nikon D600, I am eagerly waiting for this and def'ly it will not be that high price. Mean while I can start collecting FF lens, so by next year I have plans for it.

For me, as long as it doesn't produce money, why not look for used ones? I am not going to loose anything? Till now all my lens/various equipment are used ones and they are giving me great time. if you are thinking about quality for used ones, O'cz everyone maintains their equipment in excellent way.

Thinking to move Cannon? Why? When you have gained so much of expertise on Nikon systems, there will be a huge learning curve to know Canon systems and their behaviour. Getting to know their menu systems, personally changing these systems one should have very deep pockets.

That's about it, Hope my thoughts helps in your decision.