1st DSLR purchase...feedbacks/advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow just read Pentax k5 reviews... It's full of love lol

K5 and A65 now...

Hahahaha... it is back to the shop to play with the cameras again! After you get your camera, maybe we go on a shooting spree... hahahaha.

Anyway, both A65 and K5 are great camera... but do test out to see which one you like best... as long as the camera feel right in your hand and you find no problem navigating through it... the camera is for you. And don't worry about if the lenses are difficult to get or not, because I believe that many shops in Singapore would carry the Pentax lenses... if not I believe those in Johor also have.

And in term of pricing, both Pentax and sony do offer great deal of excellent features for the money you pay (I hope someone from Canon heard this :().

Oh... do remember to factor in some money for flash and a remote control (IR or wired also can).

Wow just read Pentax k5 reviews... It's full of love lol

K5 and A65 now...

K5 will be wholly awesome cam.. if only it has swivel screen.. to me that is...

u need to take note that ur sis owns A55 (staying at one roof, right?).. can share lenses.. expenses for buying new lenses is low (can share with sis)
of coz if u dont like to share then it different story....

I went through roughly the set of considerations before settling on my Canon 600D.
Reasons why I went Canon 600D despite the superiority of some of the other brands out there:
(1) Lots of lens out there for Canon.. The cropped body can use both the EF and EFS range of lens. The whole gamut from fisheye (Samyang 8mm), Landscape (Canon 10 - 22mm), General Fast (Tamron 17 - 50 f2.8), Macro (Tamron 90mm 1:1), Portrait (Sigma 50 - 150mm f2.8), Super Telephoto (Tamron 70 - 300mm)
(2) Value consideration as there's lots of BNS activity in Canon lens. Also, 3rd party like Tamron, Sigma, Tokina and Samyang are all competitive in selling Canon mount lens. And sometimes produce equivalent if not superior lens at better prices than Canon.
(3) Comparable if not superior system to the other Brands. So, Canon may not have the best low ISO, but it is good enough to hang in there. It may not have HDR or Panaroma in-camera, but workflow can substitute for the lack.

I went through roughly the set of considerations before settling on my Canon 600D.
Reasons why I went Canon 600D despite the superiority of some of the other brands out there:
(1) Lots of lens out there for Canon.. The cropped body can use both the EF and EFS range of lens. The whole gamut from fisheye (Samyang 8mm), Landscape (Canon 10 - 22mm), General Fast (Tamron 17 - 50 f2.8), Macro (Tamron 90mm 1:1), Portrait (Sigma 50 - 150mm f2.8), Super Telephoto (Tamron 70 - 300mm)
(2) Value consideration as there's lots of BNS activity in Canon lens. Also, 3rd party like Tamron, Sigma, Tokina and Samyang are all competitive in selling Canon mount lens. And sometimes produce equivalent if not superior lens at better prices than Canon.
(3) Comparable if not superior system to the other Brands. So, Canon may not have the best low ISO, but it is good enough to hang in there. It may not have HDR or Panaroma in-camera, but workflow can substitute for the lack.
To be fair..what you mention..apply to Sony too (i believe for some other brand too..)

Sony has built in stabilizer too. But is Pentax 2nd hand lens hard to find? I'll be going for 2nd hand on lens due to budget limitations.... And is the lens expensive compared to other brands? Thanks

Remember, people may tell you that other big boys out there have more lenses (someone told it's some 3000 lenses each) but seriously, you won't have resources nor space to buy all.. Sony and Pentax have more than enough lenses to suit your needs.

I'm not sure about Pentax but Sony lenses and flashes are cheaper than the others..

Nice..your feedback and input is much appreciated. Thanks !
looking forward for new FF then decide my poison. Since i had no hurry.

U kena poisoned?

Remember, people may tell you that other big boys out there have more lenses (someone told it's some 3000 lenses each) but seriously, you won't have resources nor space to buy all.. Sony and Pentax have more than enough lenses to suit your needs.

I'm not sure about Pentax but Sony lenses and flashes are cheaper than the others..

U kena poisoned?
errr.. i dontknow if you call it kanna posion or not. but its always my intention to own a DSLR. (i havnt got 1). Looking at the A850/900 initially then heard news about the new rummored FF SLT is coming out this year or next. So ill wait since i got no hurry. I've already got my 24-70 ready. Currently using it with my Nex. Why FF if you ask me. Well.. because i already had a Nex (crop sensor) and like i mentioned before ill only go for the best (to my definition) So yea FF is the only way to go for me (which is why i bought the 24-70 too. Its all planned). Cheers.

errr.. i dontknow if you call it kanna posion or not. but its always my intention to own a DSLR. (i havnt got 1). Looking at the A850/900 initially then heard news about the new rummored FF SLT is coming out this year or next. So ill wait since i got no hurry. I've already got my 24-70 ready. Currently using it with my Nex. Why FF if you ask me. Well.. because i already had a Nex (crop sensor) and like i mentioned before ill only go for the best (to my definition) So yea FF is the only way to go for me (which is why i bought the 24-70 too. Its all planned). Cheers.

Oh, sorry. I didn't know you havent already got a DSLR. I thought you are already using a APS-C one and kena BBB..

I agree, since you already have a Nex, might as well go FF. I've also decided that when I next upgrade, it will be a FF. So far i bought 2 lenses and they are both Minoltas. Planning to use them with the FF that I buy in future.. hehe..

Hi all guys, i got my camera.... and the camera which i choosen is........

*drums rolling~~~*

IMG_0781.jpg

Pentax K5

I asked salesman to let me try both the A65 and K5 to compare, when i first grabbed the K5 i somehow knew that's gonna be the one i want.
It feels so solid, and there's the weight presence which is not heavy yet gives you a feel that its a tank!!! Yea its a mag alloy body, weather
proof-ed one maybe that's why it made a difference. Played around with both, tried to shoot both and again i like what i see tru the optical viewfinder
of the K5 more. K5 cant shoot like A65 which is capable of 10fps, but at 7fps, the K5 is not any much weaker either, considering the fact i dont need
that insane about of burst rate. Its very fine with me.

Sensor wise its using the same sensor as the D7000 and nex5n, a camera which i previously owned and liked
a lot.

Turning of lens also feels more solid comparing to the A65. In terms of specification wise, A65 may hold the upper hand on paper, but heck!
the K5 feels great on my hands! Comparing the feel with A65, A65 feels like a toy in my hands (no offense just being candid).

Maybe the A77 with a similar built body would feel the same as the K5, but its body alone without lens, is a massive 1.6k++ to 1.7k+ which is way over
my budget. Hence i decided to go along with the K5 even thou it has fixed screen unlike the A65 which has a cool flip out screen. Main reason
i choose the K5 is because it feels so darn good on my hands. Every single buttons are easily reachable with ease without moving much of my thumb,
and the grip is perfect for my hands.

My choice doesn't mean the K5 is superior over A65 nor does it implies superiority of Pentax over the respective Sony. Its just i feel good holding,
pressing, viewing (tru the OVF) and shooting the K5 more. Its just my personal preference of feel..

Got this new set K5 body at AP and got a 2nd hand 18-135mm weather proof lens from a nice guy at CS. Thanks to the seller for good deal.

And once again i have to thank everyone who is here, has been here, gave their 2cents on my thread. Be it i chosen your recommendations or not, still, I
fully appreciate your (you guys) advices. Thank you very much for being really helpful and patient in helping me in making my decision.

Thank you!!! :)

Congrats and have fun shooting!

Nice. Have fun with your new toy.

:D

Congrats on your new purchase. ^.^

Have fun shooting! :)

Good choice. I wouldnt have chosen a Sony too. Pentax is a great system.

Hi all guys, i got my camera.... and the camera which i choosen is........

*drums rolling~~~*

IMG_0781.jpg

Pentax K5

I asked salesman to let me try both the A65 and K5 to compare, when i first grabbed the K5 i somehow knew that's gonna be the one i want.
It feels so solid, and there's the weight presence which is not heavy yet gives you a feel that its a tank!!! Yea its a mag alloy body, weather
proof-ed one maybe that's why it made a difference. Played around with both, tried to shoot both and again i like what i see tru the optical viewfinder
of the K5 more. K5 cant shoot like A65 which is capable of 10fps, but at 7fps, the K5 is not any much weaker either, considering the fact i dont need
that insane about of burst rate. Its very fine with me.

Sensor wise its using the same sensor as the D7000 and nex5n, a camera which i previously owned and liked
a lot.

Turning of lens also feels more solid comparing to the A65. In terms of specification wise, A65 may hold the upper hand on paper, but heck!
the K5 feels great on my hands! Comparing the feel with A65, A65 feels like a toy in my hands (no offense just being candid).

Maybe the A77 with a similar built body would feel the same as the K5, but its body alone without lens, is a massive 1.6k++ to 1.7k+ which is way over
my budget. Hence i decided to go along with the K5 even thou it has fixed screen unlike the A65 which has a cool flip out screen. Main reason
i choose the K5 is because it feels so darn good on my hands. Every single buttons are easily reachable with ease without moving much of my thumb,
and the grip is perfect for my hands.

My choice doesn't mean the K5 is superior over A65 nor does it implies superiority of Pentax over the respective Sony. Its just i feel good holding,
pressing, viewing (tru the OVF) and shooting the K5 more. Its just my personal preference of feel..

Got this new set K5 body at AP and got a 2nd hand 18-135mm weather proof lens from a nice guy at CS. Thanks to the seller for good deal.

And once again i have to thank everyone who is here, has been here, gave their 2cents on my thread. Be it i chosen your recommendations or not, still, I
fully appreciate your (you guys) advices. Thank you very much for being really helpful and patient in helping me in making my decision.

Thank you!!! :)

smart choice. grats

Pentax is good. But lens is hard to find right? Not the most affordable :p

to be honest, not really difficult as long you know how :)

tomorrow gt pentax outing do join them if you are interested :)

thanks for even bother to try out Pentax. Alot of people shun away because of the brand which is sad.

Last edited:
Actually I don't understand why ppl like to choose Canon or nikon more zzzz,

I choose nikon because I'm used to nikon system, actually feel like jumping ship, but lazy to sell all my stuff haha.

Actually I don't understand why ppl like to choose Canon or nikon more zzzz,

I choose nikon because I'm used to nikon system, actually feel like jumping ship, but lazy to sell all my stuff haha.

neither do i.

probably the branding.

Status
Not open for further replies.