1st DSLR purchase...feedbacks/advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
want something different?
do consider Pentax K-5
one of the better gears out there at an extremely affordable price :)
$1250 for body right now.

Pentax is good. But lens is hard to find right? Not the most affordable :p

Last edited:
OT abit: rhino bro the last time i wasnt free due to reservist, hope to meet up with you, csboi and gang to shoot! :D

Sure. No problem there... but I will be going to Aust next monday and will not be back until Chinese new year :)

Hahahaha... going to try to shoot some landscape and people in a foreign country, hope got something nice to show.

Pentax is really good. you can use the old lenses which is pretty cheap nowadays... also I think all the major 3rd party lens maker also make lenses for them too.

Anyway... you need first get a clear idea of what you are going to shoot, then focus on the features that you wanted your camera to have for you to achieve those shots...

Only get the camera that suits your shooting style and genre and not the camera that most people recommend or pressure you to get :)

Sure. No problem there... but I will be going to Aust next monday and will not be back until Chinese new year :)

Hahahaha... going to try to shoot some landscape and people in a foreign country, hope got something nice to show.

Saw your fireworks pictures... They are awesome. Looking forward more awesomeness from a good and humble photography like you :)

How many lens do you need? :D
The lenses are avaliable for OEM and 3rd party ones, you just need to go to the correct shops (ie. SLRR; MSC; OP; Manly; CP)

~$600 for a Kr body;
~$12xx for a K5 (2011 DPR Gold award "Semi-professional Interchangeable Lens Camera Category")

Don't forget that the cameras come with on-camera shake reduction and all lens mounted will benefit from that (even old MF ones); so its worth the price.

Pentax is really good. you can use the old lenses which is pretty cheap nowadays... also I think all the major 3rd party lens maker also make lenses for them too.

Anyway... you need first get a clear idea of what you are going to shoot, then focus on the features that you wanted your camera to have for you to achieve those shots...

Only get the camera that suits your shooting style and genre and not the camera that most people recommend or pressure you to get :)

You give really good advice. I just interested in landscape and Marco.. Would like to take some panning shots too... Today after work chiong down...

Relax. step by step.

Hi pal~! With this I learnt something new today. Which camera are you using? Btw I read and saw reviews that the a65/77 has this long buffering when taking 10fps continuous shots and is doing badly with noise level at higher levels of ISO in raw format. Jpeg at higher ISO is not very detailed as the system's noise controller is overpowering resulting in very noticeable lost of details even in mid ISO level. Is this true? Any firmware that already resolve this? Thanks in advance :)

Right now I'm using the A580 and the A900, but I tested the A77 for about 2-3 months. Yeah, there is a relatively small buffer, but having a fast memory card helps flush it out in a few seconds. The sensor in the Nex-5N/A580/D7000/K-5 (all the same Sony sensor) is probably the best APS-C sensor out there now in terms of noise. The A77/A65 sensor is not as good as them at ISO above 1600, but you get even higher dynamic range and of course the extra resolution. But even then, it's usually the 100% pixel-peepers who complain - if you view the picture at a resolution that will actually fit on a screen, you won't really see the noise at all, especially at ISO 1600 and below.

However, the 100% in-viewfinder focus magnification, and the focus peaking, and the 24MP of detail, is awesome for macro work. In outdoor sports/daylight scenarios where you don't need ISO 3200 and above, the pictures are clean, and of course you still get 12 fps and the great AF system.

So you need to know your needs - will you be shooting nighttime action more? Do you need fast FPS? Or are you more of a portrait shooter, or street photography, or landscape? While nighttime action/sports shooting is good, a D3S will be better. ;)

But for everyday shooting, portraits, etc, the A65 will be great. Tons of detail, great dynamic range, etc.

How many lens do you need? :D
The lenses are avaliable for OEM and 3rd party ones, you just need to go to the correct shops (ie. SLRR; MSC; OP; Manly; CP)

~$600 for a Kr body;
~$12xx for a K5 (2011 DPR Gold award "Semi-professional Interchangeable Lens Camera Category")

Don't forget that the cameras come with on-camera shake reduction and all lens mounted will benefit from that (even old MF ones); so its worth the price.

Sony has built in stabilizer too. But is Pentax 2nd hand lens hard to find? I'll be going for 2nd hand on lens due to budget limitations.... And is the lens expensive compared to other brands? Thanks

Right now I'm using the A580 and the A900, but I tested the A77 for about 2-3 months. Yeah, there is a relatively small buffer, but having a fast memory card helps flush it out in a few seconds. The sensor in the Nex-5N/A580/D7000/K-5 (all the same Sony sensor) is probably the best APS-C sensor out there now in terms of noise. The A77/A65 sensor is not as good as them at ISO above 1600, but you get even higher dynamic range and of course the extra resolution. But even then, it's usually the 100% pixel-peepers who complain - if you view the picture at a resolution that will actually fit on a screen, you won't really see the noise at all, especially at ISO 1600 and below.

However, the 100% in-viewfinder focus magnification, and the focus peaking, and the 24MP of detail, is awesome for macro work. In outdoor sports/daylight scenarios where you don't need ISO 3200 and above, the pictures are clean, and of course you still get 12 fps and the great AF system.

So you need to know your needs - will you be shooting nighttime action more? Do you need fast FPS? Or are you more of a portrait shooter, or street photography, or landscape? While nighttime action/sports shooting is good, a D3S will be better. ;)

But for everyday shooting, portraits, etc, the A65 will be great. Tons of detail, great dynamic range, etc.

Awesome that's what I want to know! I'll shooting lots of night cityscape. Landscape, Marco of flowers, animals insects etc. i dont like street photography taking picture of random people.

Just curious.. So how good/better is the A900 high ISO performance compared to the likes of Nex5n/A580/D7000/K5 you've mentioned? Would like to hear your observations. Thanks

Just curious.. So how good/better is the A900 high ISO performance compared to the likes of Nex5n/A580/D7000/K5 you've mentioned? Would like to hear your observations. Thanks

I never said the A900 had good high ISO performance. Just like the D3X (same sensor), It's designed for maximum performance in low ISO situations.

Awesome that's what I want to know! I'll shooting lots of night cityscape. Landscape, Marco of flowers, animals insects etc. i dont like street photography taking picture of random people.

Night cityscape is low ISO, tripod shooting. You don't need to worry about ISO noise.

Macro will benefit from the detail, focus peaking and 100% magnification. Landscape will benefit from the DR and resolution.

I never said the A900 had good high ISO performance. Just like the D3X (same sensor), It's designed for maximum performance in low ISO situations.
Was trying to know how is the sensor of A900 compared to those..my bad.

Was trying to know how is the sensor of A900 compared to those..my bad.

Ah. Well, up to ISO 800 it's about the same. At ISO 800 and above, the 5N sensor is cleaner. That's just for ISO though. In terms of tonality, and the skintones, and just the "quality" of the pixels, at low ISO the A900 is better.

Remember, the A900 sensor technology is 4 years old. ;)

Ah. Well, up to ISO 800 it's about the same. At ISO 800 and above, the 5N sensor is cleaner. That's just for ISO though. In terms of tonality, and the skintones, and just the "quality" of the pixels, at low ISO the A900 is better.

Remember, the A900 sensor technology is 4 years old. ;)
Nice..your feedback and input is much appreciated. Thanks !
looking forward for new FF then decide my poison. Since i had no hurry.

Wow just read Pentax k5 reviews... It's full of love lol

K5 and A65 now...

Sony has built in stabilizer too. But is Pentax 2nd hand lens hard to find? I'll be going for 2nd hand on lens due to budget limitations.... And is the lens expensive compared to other brands? Thanks

I have more than 20 and at one point (8 versions of 50mm lenses) , and there of plenty of fellas with lots of lenses (1st and 2nd hand) in the Pentax sub-forum. ;)
Can't say they are hard to find.

Wow just read Pentax k5 reviews... It's full of love lol

K5 and A65 now...

Yup. So now you just need to decide if you need high ISO performance more, or if you need the extra resolution, focus peaking, fast AF in live view, etc.

I'd go with the K5.

Status
Not open for further replies.