1st DSLR purchase: 400D / D80?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They really need to do some serious research on how to bust teh dust! Now I have to manually shake the camera up and down 50 times to dislodge them! ;)

erm tot the blower/pump thingy will do the job?

Yah agreed on the N & C thing.... Never ending discussion.
My suggestions do a little research on the lens & accessories... then go for it.... spend time on reading, shooting and hands on experience.
Since it is your 1st Dslr it doesnt really matters... (other than pricing) but one aspect might be useful to consider if your mates have any of the 2 systems. It might comes in handy to exchange pointers and borrow a few lens to try from your mates going forward.

As for the $ damage.... go for what it is comfortable to your pocket... just remember getting the best does not equals to results. at least not in photography...

But IMHO.... the N kit len pretty sweet for a start to know your favourite range...

Have fun with your new machine...

Oh i have been a c user from the beginning....

OH MA GOD! Anti dust? I'm so for anti-dust.

I'm really so sick of seeing little dust dots in my nice blue sky. And I don't even change lens often. Little differences in image quality are not so important to me, when the sometimes glaring dust dots can be much more obvious. Good to see Canon stepping it up. BTW I'm currently using Nikon, and I developed a major batch of photos, to see *gasp* my beautiful blue sky with beautiful black dots. And now everytime I look at these photos, those are what catches my eyes first.

Well, yea, post-processing? Recently I spotted more than 4 dots every image, who knows how many more each time. Cleaning? Maybe sometime in the future. And those swabs aren't cheap.

Maybe they are UFOs dude.

Well, the Nikon 18-70mm kit len is a oon to have for starters.
Canon 350D/400D for the size

If i were you
Get used
D70s for about 1K, then spend the rest on a good lens
or
D20/350D and the rest on add ons

If you want something new, 350D with a good set of lenses.
Bodies are never ending, but a good set of lens will last you a long time..
I think, you may be hesitant of buying a lemon but don't worry. Just go out and shoot stuff. ;)

If you just want a GP lens with cam body, the 17-55IS or 17-85IS are good choices that can last you for years ( or until you decide to join the BBB club ). ;)

IMHO, spend the money on a 350D & an upgrade USM lense. I tested the 400D, D50 & D80 before I settled for the 350D instead (3 weeks ago).

I found the 400D noisy and grainy with ISO800 and above. Also the feel was as good comfortable as the 350D. Features were comparible and the 10mega was more a disadvantage (due to noise) then advantage.

i was also considering between 400d and d80, finally bought the 400d becos of smaller size, dust reduction system and lower price, plus i already owned CF cards which can be used on the 400d. the larger viewfinder, better/faster AF and handling of the D80 was v tempting though. i did consider d50 quite a bit as well but decided that 10mp was much more useful to me in case i needed to crop my images.

Those freebie SD cards they always bundle in promo, are they actually 'fast' enough to write the data? :dunno: My impression is they only give the value series which i think will lag the camera operation.

i was also considering between 400d and d80, finally bought the 400d becos of smaller size, dust reduction system and lower price, plus i already owned CF cards which can be used on the 400d. the larger viewfinder, better/faster AF and handling of the D80 was v tempting though. i did consider d50 quite a bit as well but decided that 10mp was much more useful to me in case i needed to crop my images.

@@ auntie zaren finally took the plunge... anticipating more and more great pictures coming!!! :thumbsup:

Is the D50 still available? :)

@@ auntie zaren finally took the plunge... anticipating more and more great pictures coming!!! :thumbsup:

er...no diff to the pics lah. if anything, they have gotten worse. :bsmilie:

wow..this thread got dug out again..

I've decided on the D80 + 18-200mm VR and would be getting it in dec

anyone knows roughly when the yr end it show will be?

still rem they are selling the D80 for $2288 with bundle of extra batt, cam bag, 2gb, digital dry box which are the items that i would be getting. hopefully the price drop will be quite significant else will gotta purchase them seperately from dealer

wow..this thread got dug out again..

I've decided on the D80 + 18-200mm VR and would be getting it in dec

anyone knows roughly when the yr end it show will be?

still rem they are selling the D80 for $2288 with bundle of extra batt, cam bag, 2gb, digital dry box which are the items that i would be getting. hopefully the price drop will be quite significant else will gotta purchase them seperately from dealer

for this price for the D80...i add in about $200++ more i get a D200 already...

Pentax K10D
or
SONY A100.

Why?

Avoid the C and N war.
Never ending.
Concentrate on taking good pictures, More Important.
It has never been and is never a war between C & N. It's the people who always think they're at war. If you realise, there has never been a straight head to head comparison between Nikon and Canon products. They always stagger their technology, always one leapfrogging the other. Staying with either is never wrong, though sports photographers will probably have an edge with C and general people/reportage photography have a better edge with N. Both companies know their own strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately, many consumers don't. So it will be terrible for people who are just after technology and they will keep switching systems. Good luck! ;) Better still, buy both! They complement each other very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.