1st DSLR purchase: 400D / D80?

Status
Not open for further replies.
400D. save money to get flash and telephoto.

or mentioned. the 17-55 2.8IS. OMG!

seems like most ppl are Nikon fans here..so far theres only 2 Canon vote..

Thanks ppl for the comments..hopefully will go down soon for some hands on to decide.

currently more incline towards D80 but pocket inclining to 400D:)

Pls keep the advices comming thou..

THANKS!!! :) :)

read somewhere that the 17-55 f2.8 IS is 3x price of another lens from other ppl's post.

hmm looks like its really a good lens for soo much ppl recommending it but i think the price is also very :thumbsup: yeah :bigeyes:

400D Kit (approx. $1500+ at Cathay Photo, Alan Photo, John 3:16, MS Color)

Buy just that first. Test out your kit lens. If yours is a good copy, it can last you for quite a while. Personally have used my 350D kit lens for more than 1 year. I will definitely replace it eventually, but not anytime soon.

If you buy the 400D now, you'll get 1GB CF Card and a EOS bag free.

Since the 400D is more pocket friendly, you can afford to buy more CF Card, batteries, battery grip, or other accessories.

read somewhere that the 17-55 f2.8 IS is 3x price of another lens from other ppl's post.

hmm looks like its really a good lens for soo much ppl recommending it but i think the price is also very :thumbsup: yeah :bigeyes:

It's a very good lens. But of course the price is a little high :sweat:

Thanks for the replies!

hmm so i assume both angrypiglet and devilboy will go for D80 too yeah?

I went for 30D.... wanted to get Nikon D200 (My dream) :cry: but I end up going for Canon for the budget/performance ratio...;p

D80 is the choice. If you dun need the extra stuffs, even D50 is a great steal!

OH MA GOD! Anti dust? I'm so for anti-dust.

I'm really so sick of seeing little dust dots in my nice blue sky. And I don't even change lens often. Little differences in image quality are not so important to me, when the sometimes glaring dust dots can be much more obvious. Good to see Canon stepping it up. BTW I'm currently using Nikon, and I developed a major batch of photos, to see *gasp* my beautiful blue sky with beautiful black dots. And now everytime I look at these photos, those are what catches my eyes first.

Well, yea, post-processing? Recently I spotted more than 4 dots every image, who knows how many more each time. Cleaning? Maybe sometime in the future. And those swabs aren't cheap.

if your pocket incline to 400D then go for it. i rather have a cam with great lenses then one with kit. but i tell you, sony A100 even cheaper.;)

Pentax K10D
or
SONY A100.

Why?

Avoid the C and N war.
Never ending.
Concentrate on taking good pictures, More Important.

any camera can take good photos. follow your wallet. do consider other stuff like

dry cabi $99
flash $400-500
batt grip if you require. around $150. original batt is $90
tripod $ less than 100
lens?
50mm 1.8 around $135
sigma apo dg macro 70-300. around $330 first hand.

not to mention some good filters to protect your lens too.

many hidden cost. and some are neccessary. like dry cabi. flash if you take low light shots and indoors.

Camera does not matter! Buy what you feel like and feel satistfied. At this stage, these DSLRs are already wayyy more advanced and faster than anything in its league that was released around two years ago, so go for whatever you fancy.

It's what you like that matters.

400D:
$1600(inc.gst) free 2 G Cf card, lcd protector,extra OEM battery from mscolor.
free 1 G Cf card & canon bag from agent

D80:
$2288(inc.gst) free 2 G SD card, electronic cabin, second Original EN-EL3e battery,123 photo imaging software,nikon umbrella,cleaning kit,nikon bag

looks like i do not really need to add on anymore things at least as of now other than a tripod :)

OH MA GOD! Anti dust? I'm so for anti-dust.

I'm really so sick of seeing little dust dots in my nice blue sky. And I don't even change lens often. Little differences in image quality are not so important to me, when the sometimes glaring dust dots can be much more obvious. Good to see Canon stepping it up. BTW I'm currently using Nikon, and I developed a major batch of photos, to see *gasp* my beautiful blue sky with beautiful black dots. And now everytime I look at these photos, those are what catches my eyes first.

Well, yea, post-processing? Recently I spotted more than 4 dots every image, who knows how many more each time. Cleaning? Maybe sometime in the future. And those swabs aren't cheap.

read reviews that the 400D cleaning system is just a good to have..dust is still spotted on the sensor

D80 body ($15xx)
grip ($19x, if u like to shoot portrait)
2gb card ($90)
18-70 ($300 for 2nd hand)
5omm ($170)
dry cabin (30L at $100 iirc)
Bag (ex-180, 2nd hand at $30-50)

read reviews that the 400D cleaning system is just a good to have..dust is still spotted on the sensor

They really need to do some serious research on how to bust teh dust! Now I have to manually shake the camera up and down 50 times to dislodge them! ;)

They really need to do some serious research on how to bust teh dust! Now I have to manually shake the camera up and down 50 times to dislodge them! ;)

Shaking it? It might be better if you drop the camera a few times... :bsmilie:

;p

Status
Not open for further replies.