17-55 / 24-70

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy

Jan 4, 2006
Guys

using a D300

Consdering the following two. hope to get some feedback to aid my decision. Of course with the high price of these two, i can only afford one and there will be a recovery period before i can get more lens

17-55mm - The best DX there is. im previously using a Tammy 17-50m and through the 1yr plus process, realised that i tend to use the long end more and less of the short end. but do agree that the wide end do come in handy at times

24-70mm - i realised that many members' set up is D300+24-70. want to ask what's your feel on this focal length range. too tight? i tested the 24-70mm, while i love the 70mm end, but felt that the wide end can be too tight at times.

Regards

Last edited:
It is a general consensus that the AFS Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 shines on DX. So it should be a dream combo with your D300. Not sure though that the improvement in IQ and build over the Tammy is good enough a reason for you though.

For me and between the two, the AFS Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 would come in second. You will miss the wide end more than the tele on your D300 if this is your "only" lens.

DX for DX.

Perhaps, you may consider Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 to see if it suits your needs.

Invest for the future.
In future full frame camera will become more affordable. Go with 24-70 is my suggestion.

if you intend to go FX in the not too far future, then the choice is pretty clear...
if you intend to shoot DX, then again the choice is pretty clear... ha ha :)

Hmm if you are more keen on the longer end, why not get a longer lens to accompany the 17-50 tamron lens? If not, getting the nikon 17-55 will only net you 5mm extra reach? Perhaps a 85mm prime, or perhaps the luscious 70-200/2.8? :cool:

Personally, neither of those lenses are for me :)

Guys

using a D300

Consdering the following two. hope to get some feedback to aid my decision. Of course with the high price of these two, i can only afford one and there will be a recovery period before i can get more lens

17-55mm - The best DX there is. im previously using a Tammy 17-50m and through the 1yr plus process, realised that i tend to use the long end more and less of the short end. but do agree that the wide end do come in handy at times

24-70mm - i realised that many members' set up is D300+24-70. want to ask what's your feel on this focal length range. too tight? i tested the 24-70mm, while i love the 70mm end, but felt that the wide end can be too tight at times.

Regards

Considering you still have your tammy... what most guys say is if you pay 2x more for the 17-55 are you getting 2x the value? If you do not intend to go fullframe yet.. no point getting the 24-70. Perhaps go for a prime 85 or 50 f1.4 or 80-200?

just my thoughts

thanks for the suggestions guys, problem now is that i do not have a Tammy with me anymore...im len-less now. lolz

thanks for the suggestions guys, problem now is that i do not have a Tammy with me anymore...im len-less now. lolz

great... easy since u hv nuts

grab both... try them yourself on your d300 instead of asking around us humans... probably none of us have both at the same time to give u justifiable opinions

keep the one u like and sell the other

you're not getting the point and if my question do sound stupid to you, you need not reply. i tried both, and what im asking is your pros and cons of the 24-70 on a DX body. human............

you're not getting the point and if my question do sound stupid to you, you need not reply. i tried both, and what im asking is your pros and cons of the 24-70 on a DX body. human............

thats good

u tried both, so which is good, keep
which is no good, sell
simple

no many humans like you have tried both

like me, i tried neither

anything wrong with ur tammy? if not, pls dun waste ur $$. get the 70-200mm VR instead ;)

just my 2c.. 50mm and 70mm not a huge diff. 17mm and 24mm is a HUGE diff.

I bought the 17~35mm f/2.8 :-}

Best of both.

Cheers!

can tell me why 17-35mm is regarded by you to be the best of both?

do u mean as a good cover in between the other 2 zooms focal range ?

Look, i'm sick of these threads, so now i'll post my view. If you expect amazing difference in your photography you're mistaken. What lenses do you have? 24-70 and 17-55/17-50 if you talk in terms of DOF you won't see much difference. You won't see much difference in terms of low light use. You would see more contrasty and sharper shots. But a 50mm f1.4/30mm f1.4/35mm f2 would change the way you shoot. 2 stops brighter, fixed focal length. Look into primes.

On DX 50 is tight, but shooting primes would make you think. 24-70 is tight. If you're a wide angle person its too tight unless you want to bring around another lens like a sigma 10-20 to get some width. It's heavy. I think you'd find it a chore to bring it out if you don't like the weight for causal use.

To be honest if you want something entirely different to blow you away that may not come. AF speed may be better, but its also about timing. What EXACTLY was restricting you with the tamron?

Or try the new HSM 24-70mm sigma. Get a good copy and it's going to be worth every penny.

I still shoot film and I have a D300. 17mm... Great for indoors.

I don't have to worry about crop sensor when I buy my D700 mid next year....

14~24mm is heavy and I can't put filters.

If I want versitility.... I just use my 18~200mm.

I shoot people REALLY CLOSE on the Street... Its is just a photo journalistic style I gather why B/W pictures in the past are so stunning.. All they had was 20mm, 24mm, 28mm, 35mm and 50mm. Well the 17~35mm x1.5mm almost equal that. Its is the short mm that forces you to be close to people,

I am old school. I am not shy about taking pictures of people I don't know real close.

Anyway.. I already own a 28~105mm. Nikkor... and 80~200mm... an am loving it.. so no point getting a 24~70mm.

I need the aperture ring for my film. :-}

Cheers!

I have used both the 17-55 and 24-70. Both a excellent lenses, sharp, well-built, used them in snow, cold, etc. To help you decide, I hope the following two points would help.
1) if you intend to stay with the D300 (DX) for some time, then go for the 17-55 as this offers wider and very practical coverage (can even used as 1 lens for travel). And if you really need a wider zoom, the 12-24/f4 (DX) a very good wide angle zoom and price is quite affordable (I have shot lots of travel photos with this set up when I was shooting with my D300. Do visit my webalbum http://picasaweb.google.com/FreddieKang/JiuZhaiGouChinaOct2006?authkey=OauSncbu6so&feat=directlink and see some of the photos taken with this setup using a DX body.
2) if you plan to go to D700 or D3 (FX) then go for the 24-70. I now own a D3 and I have the following: 14-24, 24-70, 70-200.

Fred

thanks for the helpful replies, i think i have made my choice, appreciate the replie

To TS: Since you are willing to spend on a 2+K lens, not long ago, someone in another thread recommended getting the 17-35 f/2.8, since you are in a transition state.

17-35 makes FOV of 25.5-52.5 in DX which is pretty neat.
When used on a FX, it makes 2nd good wide angle as oppose to 14-24.

So your call. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.