Zone System 101: Applications for Black And White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wisp

May 21, 2004
Sydney, Australia
Well, I hope this becomes a lil sticky. Alright maybe not, but I have to conduct an exposure workshop after my exams and I reckon I need to think through what I want to talk about. Let's see if I'm gonna be a mumbled headed nutcase or a really good teacher.

Plus the other zone system thread had gone the way of intellectual insurgency.

Dedicated to tuck and his crew for kindly allowing me to rape their enlarger while I was back in singapore for hols (Okay..maybe rape isn't quite a proper word but I'm feeling abit kinky today..)

Anyway, despite the sites provided by various members of the group, most people here don't quite get what the zone system is about. Primarily is that the websites tend to be technical and cryptic (Not to me anyway...but hey I'm a damn engineer to be!). So, I would like to take the chance to unravel the logarithmic curves and printing densities into something more palatable.

Why learn the zone system? Simply because, minus the cryptic and detailed wholly technical descriptions, it is simply one of the easiest and best ways to learn about exposure. And the fastest way to get around getting a good exposure. Instead of running around observing the meter and making assumptions how it works, or learning everything by trial and error, you could easily take any camera, and after a short read on the manual make perfect exposures nearly every single time.

Secondly, it is the basic foundation for the technical aspects of photography. Alot of other exposure techniques are derived from the zone system itself, even estimated exposure.

So what is the zone system? It is simply a method of determining exposure by using a meter.
Namely the spot meter. Most cameras (or good ones anyway) come with this setting, check your manuals ! What this meter does it reads a 'spot' or a very small area on the scene you want to photograph, and gives you a value for aperture and shutter speed depending on the iso you dialed in. This exposure is what we called 18% gray. This exposure is simply a reference, and any part of the scene you put that spot on, will be rendered to 18% gray.

So why can't we just use this exposure and whack it out? Well, 18% gray has the tonality of concrete on a light hazey day. Okay, I get studio lights, I diffuse it up to make my model's face a pearly white and when I put the spot on her lighted skin and used the dialed in value, my model's face is going to have the tonality and exposure of dull concrete. Great, now she's as seductive as an egyptian mummy. Similiarly, if you happily put that spot on the shadows, you aren't going to get black, but pretty much gray. Doesn't sound quite right doesn't it?

In comes the zone system. Here goes! Now, imagine the scene as a series of tones. If you don't know what tones is, just look below. As you know, light is not always constant throughout the scene, so each part of the scene will have different tones . Now simply divide each part of the scene into a table of 11 tones.
Below is an exercise..just match any area of the photograph to the table of tones below.

ed.jpg

ZoneSystem.jpg

(Credits to Wikipedia for the tone charts)

Simple exercise isn't it? Now you're get the idea about dividing up a scene into an exposure of 11 tones. Now, the spot meter reading gives the tonality (dull concrete rem?) of Zone V.

Ah, now it makes sense why you can't always use the reference reading. Cause not everything in the scene is in Zone V! So what do you do?

Firstly, the range of tones a photograph should ideally possess should be from Zone III for your deepest shadows (black with some detail) to Zone VII (white with good details).
The idea is to get all parts of the scene into the what I call the G spot (it's easy to remember..), in between Zone III and Zone VII

When you descend from Zone V to Zone IV, It's called stopping down 1 stop of light (a relative measurement: stopping down 1 stop means cutting the exposure by dividing the light hitting the film by half.). Your aperture and shutter speed are arranged in 1 to 1/2 a stop. So to stop down, you either go 1 interval up from your aperture (e.g. f8-> f16) or click one interval up from your shutter speed (1/250-> 1/500)

Likewise, going from Zone V to Zone VI involves opening your aperture up (e.g. f8 -> f 5.6) or going one down on your shutter speed (1/250 -> 1/125).

So you put the spot over the girl's face. Her face is pretty white..definately not concrete texture. But you want details of her eyelashes. What do you do? Looking at the chart, you see that zone VII fits the requirement. So from the reference reading, you open up 2 stops. Let's say your reading is f5.6 1/500. So it's either f2.8 1/500 or f5.6 1/125.

Let's say instead of her face you want to expose shadows instead. You look for the darkest spot, namely under the shed behind the right tree. It's pretty black, but you want some details at least. So you look up the chart, and Zone III fits the requirement of having residual detail. So from Zone V you descend 2 stops down. Let's say your reading is f 5.6 1/30. That would make your reading either go f11 1/30 or f5.6 1/125.

Needless to say the best combination would show fluctuations in tones whenever you shift the spot around the area of the scene, but they would be within the G spot, and be at the numerals or tone where you want them to be.

So let's say you have a setting, and you measure various part of the scene against the reference value of 18% gray you have and the readings given out by the meter for each area is exactly where you want to be (2 stops down, 1 stop up, etc etc). There's nothing left to do but...*click*

That's not all! Don't run away yet. Just reading from the meter and knowing where to place tones is a start, but not the end for all of it. Here's another trick for film dev : Contraction and Expansion.

Not all scenes will fit into the G spot. Take into this picture for example:

wave.jpg

Note that under the cliffs are deep shadows as well as below the rocks, while the waves and the tops are bathed in full white sun. If one reads the zone chart and start placing tones, they would find the range of tones wouldn't be able to fit into the G spot. For example, placing the shadows at Zone III would still land the sunlit areas of the waves and cliffs up to Zone VIII or IX. Or reading and placing the sunlit areas places the shadows into Zone III or below. Not a good thing isn't it? So we need to contract or reduce the range of tones by an interval.

How to do it? By reducing the film dev time by approx 20%. Hey, but what about the shadows? Aren't we not giving them enough proper development?

Well, for that during exposure, we overexpose by 1 stop to compensate for the shadows.
Likewise, for scenes of low contrast.

rocks.jpg

Alright, it lies in the G spot, but during exposure the highlights (bright part of the image) only goes up to Zone V even when we place the shadows in Zone III. What do we do if we want it to go up to Zone VI?

We actually extend the dev time by 20% or 1 stop. Thus we extend the tonal range by 1 interval.

Thus it could be seen that it's not only good enough to just place the tonal range of the image just in between the G spot, but make sure the extreme ends (the brightest and darkest parts) of the image approach the boundaries as near as possible for a good neg.

thanks for sharing, second that this becomes a sticky, up for you :thumbsup:

Well, for all said and done, what are the advantages and disadvantages of the zone system?

Firstly, going through the advantages:

It allows you to have control over the exposure of your images. You basically know how each scene is going to turn out on your negative and what to do to get the exposure you want.

Secondly, it's actually easy to learn and apply, and for those using stuff like Large film formats, it actually gurantees a 'one shot' kill in terms of exposure. Composition is another issue though.

Thirdly, it allows you to switch cameras with ease without dwelving into the manuals too much. All you need to remember is how to operate the spot meter, aperture and shutter and that's all to it. Then again I'm talking about film cameras, digital may be a different kettle of fish.

Now disadvantages:

One, it is S.L.O.W. Thus, it's pretty only useful for 'static' images and stable light conditions, such as portraiture and studio. If we're talking about 'fast paced', like photojournalism/ press photography, or even sports photography with rapidly changing light situations (such as in some countries..the sunset is so fast light changes every 5-10 minutes drastically), it would be foolhardy to use.

Two: When it was first devised by Ansel Adams (Maybe he didn't invent it, but he certainly advocated it), it was made in mind for Single large format negatives. Imagine this, if you were to shoot roll film for 120 or 35mm, and you shoot a high contrast scene that you say, need to contract a stop. Okay, you over exposed and remind yourself to cut dev time. Right, now let's say next day is a cloudy day and you happily hop out and see a naked gray woman (okay doesn't quite exist but just to prove a point), and you happily meter and..you need to expand or increase development. Uh oh, if we do that what about the previous frame? We have a major problem...

Unless you're willing to shoot in each frame in similiar scenes, you would face this inaverdently. Some people in the end just sacrifice the contraction and expansion, expose for shadows by placing them in Zone III and just dodge and burn later on in the darkroom. Still, for high contrast situations that makes shooting a bit difficult. Some people avoid these sort of situations at all.

Thus as suggested by barry thornton, for roll films it's suggested to use 2 bath development due to varying contrast situations people tend to shoot on the roll.

Despite those, visualizing using the zone system is still very much applicable, and would help determine whether the picture you're gonna take with that 35mm or 120 roll is going to be easy to print or how it's going to turn out, even when you don't have that extra control measure for expansion and contraction.

And in real life, the tolerance for over exposure of BW films are such that even scenes with a tonal scale larger than the G spot could still be taken and easily printed with abit more work or with help from a filter. And you could still extend tonal range by overexposing 1 stop instead of over developing. Won't exactly achieve as much as over developing, but there would still be the result of increased contrast. There are very few scenes I could recall of that are so high or so low in contrast that taking it was impossible, even with 35mm roll films to expose a reasonable neg.

Well, I hope this post has been helpful, and it has been abit of learning experience for me too. If I made any mistakes, just pop a line, but till then, over and out!

And happy shooting!

eikin said:
thanks for sharing, second that this becomes a sticky, up for you :thumbsup:

Thank you! But you could have waited till I finished..lol

Wisp said:
No problems! As long as it helps!

Great writeup and thank you for sharing the information and knowledge! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PS: Not sure we should have a forum titled "Techniques" for these topics as it's more or less applicable to digital too? Just a thought.

Urm, don't think so. It's pretty much a long shot for 1, and how many people are interested?

There had been a number of times that I and a couple of dudes tried to bring in 'tour de force' into encouraging the darkroom enthusiasts to try something new, only to have a whimper or a 'no show'.

There's so much to experiment, like lith printing, van dykes (okay not palladium/platinium..too pain staking), abulmen (sorry..wrong spelling but abit lazy to look up the dic), etc.

Well, just have to patient I guess.

As a friend puts in "You give them scuba gear and teach them and in the end they're just happy snorkelling.."

Wisp said:
Urm, don't think so. It's pretty much a long shot for 1, and how many people are interested?
Probably, a poll will help? A long shot, but you know, at least we tried. ;)

pointless for 35mm film IMO.

using pscs to map out the zones in your wave pic.

wave-DZS.jpg

zone 0 is set to the limit of my inkjet printer hence ink is limited to 295% - 300% (0 - 9), and zone X is set to 4% - 0% ink (246 - 255).

subtle burn on zone III & IV
waveB.jpg

digital zone system can handle colour image equally well. just expose the pic to the right of the histogram.

This thread moving in a good direction. :thumbsup: May I add. Ansel Adam did mention there previsualization where you can take your time. But once you use zone system long enough you will gain enough experience to do quick previsualization. That how he shot "Moon over Hernandez New Mexico". As light is going low fast. He able to know to take the meter reading at the moon for him to do that exposure. This will give him the maxium needed information on film. Through zone system he can create the final master piece that he previsulizes quickly. So it not only "for the slow photographer" Understanding different roman labeling for different zone is one thing. All zone system user would like able to capture, develop and finally print to what they previsualizes.

singscott said:
This thread moving in a good direction. :thumbsup: May I add. Ansel Adam did mention there previsualization where you can take your time. But once you use zone system long enough you will gain enough experience to do quick previsualization. That how he shot "Moon over Hernandez New Mexico". As light is going low fast. He able to know to take the meter reading at the moon for him to do that exposure. This will give him the maxium needed information on film. Through zone system he can create the final master piece that he previsulizes quickly. So it not only "for the slow photographer" Understanding different roman labeling for different zone is one thing. All zone system user would like able to capture, develop and finally print to what they previsualizes.

He would still need to measure the shadow areas in order to check if he needs to contract the range though. I imagine probably N-2.

If you have the chance to visit University of Arizona, go take a look at the original negative of "Moonrise over Hernandez". The entire New Mexico collection is there. The negative was deem too 'thin' and was really difficult to print.

That's what makes Ansel a master of printing. He spent countless hours in the darkroom to create this masterpiece.

Wisp said:
Read the last post of my article carefully please.
"and happy shooting"?

Status
Not open for further replies.