Youtube lets you accept tip$$$

Interesting.... One of the key concerns I've always had about web video is how to effectively monetize content. AdSense wasn't cutting it. this looks to be a game changer.

Hmm, even with the donations thing, I doubt that is the best way for video creators to monetize (although definitely much better than Adsense). i think that selling things after getting a loyal following may be a better way to monetize YouTube?

If you are in the video business, the donation button is not meant to be a collection jar for yourself. This new feature is meant for you to sell to selected clients who can benefit from donations such as charity organisations, NGOs, interest groups etc.
The pitch is simple, integrate a youtube video into their online campaign and receive donation. You, the production company charge the usual for your service.

Last edited:
Hmm, even with the donations thing, I doubt that is the best way for video creators to monetize (although definitely much better than Adsense). i think that selling things after getting a loyal following may be a better way to monetize YouTube?

From what I've observed, there's no one 'best way'. Most of the ppl I see seem to try to work out as many income streams as they can, because unless you have wealthy backers, each stream is likely to be small on its own. Whether it be tips/donations, subscriptions, selling merchandise, affiliate links, youtube ad revenue, sponsors etc. All the small streams add up I guess.

Have you heard of Patreon? Interesting platform. Kinda similar to Kickstarter but more geared towards recurring support for recurring content, vs one-off projects.

[video]https://youtu.be/wH-IDF809fQ[/video]

Content creators use this as a subscription model, offering various perks to fans who subscribe. Like getting access to exclusive content, or to watch their videos a month before it goes live/public, etc. Some of the popular ones have garnered pretty impressive support.
Example: https://www.patreon.com/creation?hid=1755207
This group has "4740 patrons are pledging $22,930.51 per month" :D