Younger boss -SOS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancemania

Oct 1, 2006
central
My friend is a female in her early 40's and she has a boss who is 10 years younger. Her boss started work 3 weeks before her and is very high strung when it comes to work. My friend is just the opposite - wants to do well in her job duties and is not very keen on taking on extra projects. This male boss of hers has spoken to her on 2 occassions already about initiative and because of her age, degree and experience he has high expectations of her (meaning he wants her to "take on the world"). She feels very stressed by him because none of her previous jobs required that much energy out of her. Moreover, having been through, retrenchment and a hard time to find a job, all she wants is a stable job that doesn't expect too much out of her. Should she tell him? Quit? Please advise.:dunno:

Last edited:
My friend is a female in her early 40's and she has a boss who is 10 years old. Her boss started work 3 weeks before her and is very high strung when it comes to work. My friend is just the opposite - wants to do well in her job duties and is not very keen on taking on extra projects. This male boss of hers has spoken to her on 2 occassions already about initiative and because of her age, degree and experience is has high expectations of her (meaning he wants her to "take on the world"). She feels very stressed by him because none of her previous jobs required that much energy out of her. Moreover, having been through, retrenchment and a hard time to find a job, all she wants is a stable job that doesn't expect too much out of her. Should she tell him? Quit? Please advise.:dunno:

"a stable job that doesn't expect too much out of her" do not exist in this world. :)

Especially if she work in a company for like 10-20 years and her pay increment allows her to hold the pay higher than anyone holding the same post. Expectation are definitely higher.

My senior colleagues are going through the same thing right now. doing things out of our scope to cut cost etc.

Time to change mindset. (I know not easy for anyone, including me.)

Even professional with speciality and values need to constantly upgrade to remain competitive. :)

Last edited:
"a stable job that doesn't expect too much out of her" do not exist in this world. :)

Especially if she work in a company for like 10-20 years and her pay increment allows her to hold the pay higher than anyone holding the same post. Expectation are definitely higher.

My senior colleagues are going through the same thing right now. doing things out of our scope to cut cost etc.

Time to change mindset. (I know not easy for anyone, including me.)

Even professional with speciality and values need to constantly upgrade to remain competitive. :)

Upgrade - you need $$$$$. She wanted to change lines and was keen on taking a course but 99.99% of the job ads say - At least 2 years working experience required. So she gave up.

well, times are bad and will be getting badder

companies are looking to keep staff who add value to it.

Upgrade - you need $$$$$. She wanted to change lines and was keen on taking a course but 99.99% of the job ads say - At least 2 years working experience required. So she gave up.

Upgrade in a sense she don't have to leave her job, but learn more things out of her scope which may or may not be useful for her job development.

Main thing is does she like her job? If she want to change line, is she ready for the pay cut?

To me, everywhere we go, we will meet people who hold different views from us, or in a crude way, people we don't like (based on personal view or judgement).

So if she like the job and salary, she may just have to take up the new project to prove her worth.

If not, frankly, a bit tough if she has a lot of commitments like family, cars and condo etc.

But can keep trying man. :)

Nowadays, things pretty much work differently.

If you don't mind, i share my story with you.

I was working with my senior engineer in a project which no one dare to take up and even management has no confidence about it.

Oh, we are mechanical engineers who make equipment for production.

But in order to get business, we have to bang the wall and try (sorry, management not involved)

So basically, we have to do more things out of our scope like doing SALES presentation on top of the design, purchase, analysis, assembly, debug, shipment and installation.

Ya, during the 6 months, we were really squeeze dry dry till our morale were damn low.

Then during installation, more things happen and no one can help us.

During the intense period, my senior engineer told me, "Just do what the managment and me tell you."

My reply was, "Show me if you so call senior and experience guys can do it or not first. If not, don't tell me what to do."

So he took over full responsibility.

And up till now, the machines were never accepted.

But then, the senior engineer did prove his worth by improving on the request, though the targets were not met.

I apologize to him and he did so too.

So moral of the story is, when you are senior, you need to prove your worth by your experience and values for the young ones to respect you. Especially when it is a new project that no one has done.

However, the younger ones, like me, should also not overlook the ability of the older ones. They do have priceless values no matter how fast the world change.

The problem is not about the age of your friend's boss, it is about the mindset of your friend.

As a senior staff drawing a relatively higher salary, it is very normal that the boss have higher expectation.

There are no free lunch in this world.

sorry if i sound hursh, but has ur friend been living under s stone or in a cave?

The problem is not about the age of your friend's boss, it is about the mindset of your friend.

As a senior staff drawing a relatively higher salary, it is very normal that the boss have higher expectation.

There are no free lunch in this world.

For your info, her pay is not at all high. It is what she got 10 years ago. She changed line and has taken a long break too.

ya, probably her previous bosses are slackers like her...

bosses don't want your 101% attendance, they want your 101% performance.

Her previous bosses were not slackers. In her previous job, she even got promoted and the other job, she did her job well because the volume was very high. For her high volume job, she did it with accuracy and speed and never missed the deadline.

sorry if i sound hursh, but has ur friend been living under s stone or in a cave?

Sound very harsh but I still feel that she should not be having this kind of treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.