Younger boss -SOS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend is a female in her early 40's and she has a boss who is 10 years younger. Her boss started work 3 weeks before her and is very high strung when it comes to work. My friend is just the opposite - wants to do well in her job duties and is not very keen on taking on extra projects. This male boss of hers has spoken to her on 2 occassions already about initiative and because of her age, degree and experience he has high expectations of her (meaning he wants her to "take on the world"). She feels very stressed by him because none of her previous jobs required that much energy out of her. Moreover, having been through, retrenchment and a hard time to find a job, all she wants is a stable job that doesn't expect too much out of her. Should she tell him? Quit? Please advise.:dunno:

Hmmm.
A young boss..
Joined three weeks before your friend.

I suppose both are relatively new in the organisation and have not get their confirmation yet.

Don't you think it is natural for a the young boss to demand high performance in order to get a good confirmation package?
You and I have been young once, and we should be able recall how badly we want to impress our boss when starting out on the new job.:D

But from experience, we know that the young ones will chong very fast in the beginning of the race and it is the old horse who is going to finish the marathon in a strong fasion.

Tell you friend to sit back and observe the surrounding first, office is like a mine field, the young one is likely to set off a few mines if he is the commando type. Let the old ginger take care of him.
I took three months of observation before deciding who my lunch buddy will be. You may think it is simple thing, but the implication has deep impact on your career advancement.

It is not the hard work that is going to bring your friend to her knees, it is the politicking that's going to have the detrimental effects on her general well being.
I think her case is not that bad, considering I have to spend half an hour thinking who should I include in the cc list, whenever I have to send out senstitive Email.:D
When you get the wrong guys on your cc list...
that is it, WW3. :cool:

Last edited:
Hmmm.
I took three months of observation before deciding who my lunch buddy will be. You may think it is simple thing, but the implication has deep impact on your career advancement.

considering I have to spend half an hour thinking who should I include in the cc list, whenever I have to send out senstitive Email.:D

That is very true. Like it or not, the world is running by this way.

For your info, her pay is not at all high. It is what she got 10 years ago. She changed line and has taken a long break too.

High or low is very subjective. But your friend have to work to proof her worth in her job, if she felt that she is being exploited, then she had to rethink what she want.

The world is changing fast and it is not going to wait for anyone, after a long break and changing of line, maybe there will be some culture shock to her.

She should give herself sometime, after few month and she will get use to the pace.

My friend is just the opposite - wants to do well in her job duties and is not very keen on taking on extra projects.

To me, she sounds like an employee who is not much of a team player... If everyone in the company needs to buckle down and work harder and she refuses, then she sticks out in a bad way.

However, and this is the critical part - she has a point. She is paid a certain amount for specific job duties, and assuming she does those duties, se is within her rights. Unfortunately the SG "worker bee" mentality would brand her as lazy, incompetent or not committed to her job (I really HATE that mentality).

Thing is though, so long as she's doing her actual job duties and is completing her actual job's projects on time, her boss can't fire her - but can give her a lower review and less bonus than her worker-bee colleagues. But if he fires her, she can complain to MOM.

Thing is though, so long as she's doing her actual job duties and is completing her actual job's projects on time, her boss can't fire her - but can give her a lower review and less bonus than her worker-bee colleagues. But if he fires her, she can complain to MOM.

no, from bad review companies can fire their staff and mom or union cant do anything about it. was union chairman before, i know what i am talking here. pls dont give legal advice if you dont have the training. she can claim victimisation, but will her collueges be willing to step forward as witness?

Last edited:
It took you 3 months to find out which one was chio enough to be your lunch buddy? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

which one always brings too much food.. then can get free lunch :D :D

that's what i do :angel:

no, from bad review companies can fire their staff and mom or union cant do anything about it. was union chairman before, i know what i am talking here. pls dont give legal advice if you dont have the training. she can claim victimisation, but will her collueges be willing to step forward as witness?

3 staff were "let go" from a MNC that I used to work for due to similar reasoning. 1 of the staff won a wrongful termination case. The other 2 got a payout from the company so that they don't cause a fuss.

All of us have had our own experiences at work, so sometimes you don't need the "training". Life experience helps. :)

Upgrade - you need $$$$$. She wanted to change lines and was keen on taking a course but 99.99% of the job ads say - At least 2 years working experience required. So she gave up.

Let me sum this up..
She's 40s, she has limited experience, she wants to do less and earn the same (or more).

Maybe you should get her to either quit working, or make her expectations realistic.

"Moreover, having been through, retrenchment and a hard time to find a job, all she wants is a stable job that doesn't expect too much out of her. "
I think there's no such thing as "a stable job" in these "tough times". Jobs are becoming scarce, and if there's someone who's willing to take her place, accept her pay and do more, she'll be let go ya? Now is the time people are shedding deadweight, and if I was the boss she'll be earmarked for.. cost reduction.

well, if you ask me I suggest she resign before she is fired or retrenched. She's already spoken to twice, I'd say it's 2x warning already. If it reaches that stage, she'll have problems looking for jobs later.

doesnt matter if the boss is younger or older, age doesnt matter. some are old and incompetent, not simply just the young. there are capable young bosses too.

and its normal for working environments to heat up, by the amount of work that's being dished out relentlessly. its either you brave it, or seek a lower paying job that doesnt demand much.

remember that having more work, and doing it well makes you more indispensible than others. shunning responsibility and unable to do require work earmarks one for offloading when times are bad

tell her to change her dress sense and look younger with modern make up. Wear more red color clothing to impact a dont fool with me feel look. Be bold, be swift, but talk softly. One dont have to dress like a slut to deserve respect. It is the character beneath the clothing and skin.

honestly, the young boss is forging ahead. anyone that slacks behind is probably to him an office bump. She cant change his world, but she can change her own or resign since its only a job. Just an honest opinion.

tell her to change her dress sense and look younger with modern make up. Wear more red color clothing to impact a dont fool with me feel look. Be bold, be swift, but talk softly. One dont have to dress like a slut to deserve respect. It is the character beneath the clothing and skin.

honestly, the young boss is forging ahead. anyone that slacks behind is probably to him an office bump. She cant change his world, but she can change her own or resign since its only a job. Just an honest opinion.

This is true.

I wear tight pants and unbutton the top two buttons of my shirt to attract the attention of my younger boss.

Unfortunately he is more interested in the office chio bu.

This is true.

I wear tight pants and unbutton the top two buttons of my shirt to attract the attention of my younger boss.

Unfortunately he is more interested in the office chio bu.

Try unzip your pants to get his attention.

The law in Singapore is not that liberal yet. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I tot u wer a stock photographersist working in down-under? how come need to down blouse in senkangpore?... ooopse...

SOS SOS, my boss cant see me....

:bigeyes:

Hmmm.
A young boss..
Joined three weeks before your friend.

I suppose both are relatively new in the organisation and have not get their confirmation yet.

Don't you think it is natural for a the young boss to demand high performance in order to get a good confirmation package?
You and I have been young once, and we should be able recall how badly we want to impress our boss when starting out on the new job.:D

But from experience, we know that the young ones will chong very fast in the beginning of the race and it is the old horse who is going to finish the marathon in a strong fasion.

Tell you friend to sit back and observe the surrounding first, office is like a mine field, the young one is likely to set off a few mines if he is the commando type. Let the old ginger take care of him.

It is not the hard work that is going to bring your friend to her knees, it is the politicking that's going to have the detrimental effects on her general well being.
I think her case is not that bad, considering I have to spend half an hour thinking who should I include in the cc list, whenever I have to send out senstitive Email.:D

Sounds like a commando type. He was in the police force for 8 years and has an MBA too. When he asks my friend something, he does it like it is an interogation at the police station.

Let me sum this up..
She's 40s, she has limited experience, she wants to do less and earn the same (or more).

Maybe you should get her to either quit working, or make her expectations realistic.

"Moreover, having been through, retrenchment and a hard time to find a job, all she wants is a stable job that doesn't expect too much out of her. "
I think there's no such thing as "a stable job" in these "tough times". Jobs are becoming scarce, and if there's someone who's willing to take her place, accept her pay and do more, she'll be let go ya? Now is the time people are shedding deadweight, and if I was the boss she'll be earmarked for.. cost reduction.

well, if you ask me I suggest she resign before she is fired or retrenched. She's already spoken to twice, I'd say it's 2x warning already. If it reaches that stage, she'll have problems looking for jobs later.

Are you serious? she should resign. He did say her performance was ok.

Last edited:
Advise your friend to quit her job, what trade is that? Sometimes if we talk about seniority, it only helps the company and the rookies / juniors if the senior is showing / guiding. If the senior is just keeping quiet, stable job, no input / advise, it's as good as getting a frshy or more older employee who is keen to pass on the knowledge / experiences.

There is nothing so clear cut about scope of work

Status
Not open for further replies.