Yellow Green Filter ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in possession of a yellow green filter and ..
I am wondering what is it for?

I did a search and it seems like it is sold for B/W film shooting.

Please enlighten me.
Do you have any samples of a photos taken with a yellow green filter?

haagen_dazs said:
I am in possession of a yellow green filter and ..
I am wondering what is it for?

I did a search and it seems like it is sold for B/W film shooting.

Please enlighten me.
Do you have any samples of a photos taken with a yellow green filter?

Common panchromatic film has a spectral sensitivity distribution that doesn't reflect human perception. In particular, humans perceive the yellow-green segment of the spectrum as "bright", whereas typical films have somewhat reduced sensitivity in this region. The filter is used to correct this deficiency.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures at hand - but I'm sure you can find a lot of examples online.

Yellow-Green filter is a filter commonly used in B&W landscape photography.
Why?
Unlike human eyes, which can differentiate colors, B&W films response to color in shades of grey. This becomes a problem because B&W emulsion tends to be more sensitive to some colors.
Like the Pan film describes above, it is more sensitive to blue light. So when you take a photograph of a blue sky with white clouds, the blue sky is rendered very bright making the entire sky very pale light grey. The yellow component of the Yellow-Green filter will block the blue light and rendered the blue area of the sky dark while the white clouds remain bright.
The green part of the filter helps to lightening up the foliage in the landscape.

Status
Not open for further replies.