xp or vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ac240v

Mar 16, 2006
Yew Tee
picasaweb.google.com
i'm gonna purchase a laptop which comes with winxp pro pre-installed. i can choose to top up n upgrade to vista business.

is the media center thingy in vista home premium useful? cos vista business doesnt come with it.

i feel that xp pro should be more stable n should run faster. but dont wanna miss out on the chance to hop on to the vista band wagon. =P

so should i upgrade? TIA.

actually the decision is pretty simple..

are u using photoshop ? or other heavy image manipulatiion softwares? or video editing etc?

if the answer is no or yes then:
how much ram is ur laptop going to have.

if ur answer previously is no:
---> u can get vista if u have at least 2gb ram

if ur answer previously is yes:
---> u can get vista if u have at least 4gb ram

vista is nice with all the great looking candy, but becos of all these eye candies, if ur laptop isnt going to have at least 2gb ram, forget vista. i m sure u dun wan to lag lag lag..

are u using photoshop ? or other heavy image manipulatiion softwares? or video editing etc?

vista is nice with all the great looking candy, but becos of all these eye candies, if ur laptop isnt going to have at least 2gb ram, forget vista. i m sure u dun wan to lag lag lag..

Agree with you. My new notebook is running on Vista and with 1GB RAM only and it's pretty slow at times. :(

My desktop is dual booting XP Pro and Vista Ultimate. My comp is basically quite new with a C2D @ 3.2ghz, 2gb ram, nvidia 7950gt and raid-0 array and XP Pro is still *MUCH* faster. So even if you have a fast machine, Vista is STILL slower..

Can you get a full 4GB of RAM usage on normal VISTA? I thought you only get about 3GB plus of RAM because it's a 32 bit OS.

i'm gonna purchase a laptop which comes with winxp pro pre-installed. i can choose to top up n upgrade to vista business.

is the media center thingy in vista home premium useful? cos vista business doesnt come with it.

i feel that xp pro should be more stable n should run faster. but dont wanna miss out on the chance to hop on to the vista band wagon. =P

so should i upgrade? TIA.
I'll give u 2 words of advice whether to upgrade to Vista or not:-

EYE CANDY

Does it answer ur question? :think:

Windows XP is so yesterday. Get the WOW OS :thumbsup:

vista1.jpg

i have the same dilemma and decided to stick with XP but how long is the support for Xp going to last?

Can you get a full 4GB of RAM usage on normal VISTA? I thought you only get about 3GB plus of RAM because it's a 32 bit OS.

if u are getting vista, go for the ultimate version that is 64 bits :thumbsup: the rest of the vista home, vista business, vista home premium dun need consider at all.... If cant get ultimate, stay with the windows xp

if u are getting vista, go for the ultimate version that is 64 bits :thumbsup: the rest of the vista home, vista business, vista home premium dun need consider at all.... If cant get ultimate, stay with the windows xp

is photoshop gonna run faster with vista ultimate given a lot of rams on the same peecee?

is photoshop gonna run faster with vista ultimate given a lot of rams on the same peecee?

mmm how should i say, i recommend getting windows vista ultimate if not dun get vista at all is because, for the fullest vista experience and to really be impressed with this msft new offerings, the ultimate is really the way to go...

some of the differential features can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/default.mspx

the vista 32 bit can go till 4gb, while the 64 bit can go till 16gb of ram... but of course there is a limit to the extend photoshop will go faster, the speed wont keep increasing with the increase in amt of ram.. at the limit, the processor would be the bottleneck already.. arnd 4gb u should be fine, with basic things like anti virus in the background.

Stick wif WinXP..service pack 3 releasing soon, which is say to have security patches that are available in Vista..furthermore, XP is pretty stable now..

i have the same dilemma and decided to stick with XP but how long is the support for Xp going to last?
XP Home is until 2011 IIRC. XP Pro beyond that.

Think I'll probably make the switch to Vista in 2 years time at least.. unless something comes up that compels me to push it earlier (doubt so).

:Later,

XP of course:
use less RAM,
stable,
compatible.

i'm getting the Acer TravelMate 4720 with Intel® Core 2 Duo Processor T7100 (1.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB L2 cache) similar to the one in e website selling at $1998 except that mine comes with xp pro n 2GB DDR II RAM (2 x 1GB)

some corporate offer thingy from my mum's company.

yea. i do use photoshop. wanna use the lappy to show pix to clients n also thinking of doing tethered shooting when necessary. :D

hmm. would it make the decision easier if i already have original xp pro sp2? in that case, just get vista. if i dont like it, go install xppro.

Status
Not open for further replies.